News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two cities connected by a non-interstate freeway/expressway corridor

Started by Some one, May 21, 2021, 02:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some one

Not sure if this has been done before, but what are two (preferably major) cities that are connected by a non-interstate freeway or, at the very least, a stoplight-free highway. The Florida Expressway is a tollway built to interstate standard that connects Orlando with Miami (and also Ocala). Also, I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct but you can go from Dallas to Wichita Falls without hitting a traffic light on US 287.

Flint1979

US-10 connects Midland and Bay City in Michigan. They aren't real big major cities Midland has about 40,000 people and Bay City has about 30,000 people.

US-23 connects Flint to Ann Arbor also in Michigan.

US-131 connects Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo.

Some one

Houston to College Station also counts, as you can take US 290 to SH 6 and vice versa. 290 (up until SH 6 north) is a freeway while SH 6 is an expressway/freeway.

sprjus4

Norfolk and Raleigh via US-17 and US-64.

Only a handful of signals spread out in various areas on US-17, the rest is free-flow highway or freeway.

Not sure if the signals would disqualify it, but it's close.

TheHighwayMan3561

St. Paul and Rochester: US 52 (no traffic lights, but still one at-grade rail crossing)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

TheStranger

Los Angeles-San Francisco via US 101

San Francisco-San Jose via US 101.  (US 101 works for a lot of cities in California from SF northward to about Eureka and SF southward to I-5, though something like San Rafael-San Jose would not due to the Lombard/Van Ness section that did not end up being supplanted by the unbuilt north portion of the Central Freeway)

Bakersfield-Fresno-Modesto-Stockton-Sacramento (or any combination of any two of those cities) via Route 99

Los Angeles-Palmdale-Lancaster via Route 14

Los Angeles-Riverside via Route 60

Anaheim-Riverside via Route 91

Anaheim-Pomona via Route 57

Davis-Woodland (the two largest cities in Yolo County) via Route 113

Monterey-Santa Cruz via Route 1

San Jose-Santa Cruz via Route 17

Chris Sampang

Crown Victoria

Annapolis, MD and Wilmington, DE are connected by US 301 (part-freeway, part-expressway, part-toll road) and DE 1 (freeway/toll road) (need to use I-95 or US 13 to actually enter Wilmington, but it's close enough).

While Washington, DC and Baltimore are connected by I-95, they are also connected by the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

Quote from: Some one on May 21, 2021, 02:16:27 AM
Not sure if this has been done before, but what are two (preferably major) cities that are connected by a non-interstate freeway or, at the very least, a stoplight-free highway. The Florida Expressway is a tollway built to interstate standard that connects Orlando with Miami (and also Ocala). Also, I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct but you can go from Dallas to Wichita Falls without hitting a traffic light on US 287.

Florida Expressway? Why not Florida's Turnpike?

Ketchup99

There are a lot of these... I couldn't possibly list them all. PA:
- US-322, State College-Harrisburg
- US-15, Williamsport-Harrisburg
- US-15, Harrisburg-Frederick
- US-22, Altoona-Pittsburgh (a few lights though)
- PA-33, Stroudsburg-Easton
- PA-283, Harrisburg-Lancaster
- US-30/202, Downingtown-Valley Forge
- PA-43, Pittsburgh-Uniontown
- US-15, Williamsport-Corning
and I'm sure there are a lot more.

SkyPesos

Columbus-Findlay (part of longer Columbus-Toledo): US 23/OH 15
Dayton-Charleston: US 35

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 21, 2021, 02:41:59 AM
Indianapolis and South Bend connected by US-31.

Not stoplight-free for another couple years, but South Bend-Saint Joseph, MI and South Bend-Elkhart would qualify now.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Atlantic City and Newark, NJ via the Garden State Parkway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Some one

froggie

Quote from: Some one on May 21, 2021, 02:16:27 AM
but what are two (preferably major) cities that are connected by a non-interstate freeway or, at the very least, a stoplight-free highway.

The OP makes it sound like signals are a disqualification, so several of the examples already cited would not apply.

Does US 61 have any signals between Wentzville and Hannibal (MO)?  If not, then you can get from St. Louis to Iowa City via the Avenue of the Saints (mix of US 61, MO/IA 27, and US 218).

US 89

Boulder and Denver are connected by a freeway-grade US 36.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

sprjus4

US-77 / US-59 Corpus Christi to Houston is close. Bypasses have yet to be built around Odem and Refugio. Besides those two outliers though, the entire highway is 4 lanes divided, 75 mph speed limit, with no traffic signals the whole way.

Great Lakes Roads

Wisconsin and Iowa have a bunch of this...

WI Highway 29 from Green Bay to Eau Claire
US 53 from Eau Claire to Superior
US 151 from Madison to Fond du Lac
US 151 from Madison to Dubuque, IA

...and many more

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 21, 2021, 09:11:08 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 21, 2021, 02:41:59 AM
Indianapolis and South Bend connected by US-31.

Not stoplight-free for another couple years, but South Bend-Saint Joseph, MI and South Bend-Elkhart would qualify now.

Add Fort Wayne to Toledo via US 24 onto this list.

ilpt4u

Chicago and Kansas City, via the CKC/IL-MO 110! *ducks for cover*

Yes, parts of the CKC are Interstate

Revive 755

Quote from: froggie on May 21, 2021, 11:14:48 AM
Does US 61 have any signals between Wentzville and Hannibal (MO)?  If not, then you can get from St. Louis to Iowa City via the Avenue of the Saints (mix of US 61, MO/IA 27, and US 218).

Outside of the Hannibal area US 61 never used to have any stoplights north of I-70 in Missouri.  I haven't heard of any popping up but it's been years since I've been on that stretch of US 61 to be sure.  MoDOT was trying very hard to keep any from sprouting on the segment between I-70 and Troy.

Roadgeekteen

Baltimore and NYC via the non interstate part of the NJ Turnpike.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

NYC to New Haven, CT are already connected by interstate 95, but also the Hutchinson Parkway and Merrit Parkway/ Wilbur Cross Parkway connects them. 

The same could be said about connecting Bridgeport to New Haven via the Merit Parkway/ Wilbur Cross Parkway or Bridgeport to NYC via the Merit Hutchinson Combo.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ozarkman417

Springfield and KC in Missouri prior to the commissioning of I-49 in the state.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 22, 2021, 12:37:57 AM
Springfield and KC in Missouri prior to the commissioning of I-49 in the state.
Isn't it still mostly non-expressway south of Harrisonville, with MO 7/MO 13 making the link between those two cities?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.