Should there be red and yellow flashing lights during non-peak hour times?

Started by tolbs17, May 27, 2021, 12:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agree with me?

Yes
28 (84.8%)
No
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on May 27, 2021, 02:41:57 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2021, 02:28:55 PM
^

A pedestrian should be able to activate the signal to safely cross a busy road, IMO, if it's on a flashing mode.

Possibly. But it may ruin driver expectation to meet a red light in the middle of a stretch of flashing yellows.

I still think the best alternative is to go full-actuation at night (I'm the singular "no" vote, for the record); timed corridors are really the only place that we need flashing modes at night, and those could have actuation technology installed to permit near-immediate signal changes during off-peak and non-timed hours.

If traffic flow is low enough to permit flashing mode, a pedestrian shouldn't need a signal to cross the street, because there will be multiple minutes in between successive cars passing.

Norman goes to full-actuation mode when it's late, and it leaves much to be desired. Actuation technology is still pretty unreliable and can be either too sensitive or not sensitive enough, depending. There's one light protecting a strip mall that was cycling constantly, last time I was through there, because a nail salon left their Open sign on after closing and the actuation system was interpreting that as a car.

There's also the irritating situation that happens a lot of a car on a side road approaching a red light and coming to a stop while the actuation system processes it and cycles the lights, which stop another car on the main road so the side road car can go. With a flashing red/flashing yellow setup the side road car could either go in front or after the main road car, and the main road car would never have had to stop at all.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

I don't think this signal is needed.

This one can have the lights flash yellow and red between 11pm and 6am.

Same for over here.

These one's too. http://prntscr.com/13ho6k9

And these. http://prntscr.com/13ho8d4

The ones from the shopping center like here definitely warrant a signal that's in flash mode from 11pm (maybe even 10pm) to 6am.

tolbs17

roadfro

^

A pedestrian should be able to activate the signal to safely cross a busy road, IMO, if it's on a flashing mode.
Note that the MUTCD actually prohibits use of pedestrian signals when a signal is operating in red/yellow flash mode.

And that is likely because the pedestrian passing will require going back into stop-and-go mode, defeating the purpose of using flash mode.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tolbs17

Quote from: roadfro on May 27, 2021, 11:51:39 PM
^

Note that the MUTCD actually prohibits use of pedestrian signals when a signal is operating in red/yellow flash mode.

And that is likely because the pedestrian passing will require going back into stop-and-go mode, defeating the purpose of using flash mode.
No one should really be out late at night anyway...

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 27, 2021, 04:42:29 PM
Norman goes to full-actuation mode when it's late, and it leaves much to be desired. Actuation technology is still pretty unreliable and can be either too sensitive or not sensitive enough, depending. There's one light protecting a strip mall that was cycling constantly, last time I was through there, because a nail salon left their Open sign on after closing and the actuation system was interpreting that as a car.

There's also the irritating situation that happens a lot of a car on a side road approaching a red light and coming to a stop while the actuation system processes it and cycles the lights, which stop another car on the main road so the side road car can go. With a flashing red/flashing yellow setup the side road car could either go in front or after the main road car, and the main road car would never have had to stop at all.

I'm not seeing how a lighted "open" sign would affect a signal's detection. Most common detection method is inductive loops embedded in the pavement, which the sign wouldn't affect. Even if camera detection system were used, a sign like that shouldn't be such an intensive light that it would fool the contrast sensitivity on the detection zone of the camera. More likely there was some kind of detector fault/failure that was causing a constant call to the controller for that phase.

The other situation described can be minimized or avoided assuming the main road signal has upstream detection and the controller's passage gap settings are reasonable. With this, the controller senses a car approaching on the side road but if the car on the main road is in the "dilemma zone" then the signal won't change until after the main road car passes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 27, 2021, 01:50:45 PM
Wait, are there places that don't send their traffic lights to flashing yellow in the middle of the night?  This used to be the norm here in Texas, and it was always interesting driving to work before 6:00 AM before all the lights "woke up".  It's seen less now, and I think only because of lazy light programming now.

I have never seen lights regularly programmed to do this in Utah. The only time I've ever seen flashing red/yellow signals here is following some sort of power interruption.

I think the last place I saw traffic lights in night flash mode was Sioux Falls, SD.

sprjus4

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 27, 2021, 01:50:45 PM
Wait, are there places that don't send their traffic lights to flashing yellow in the middle of the night?  This used to be the norm here in Texas, and it was always interesting driving to work before 6:00 AM before all the lights "woke up".  It's seen less now, and I think only because of lazy light programming now.
At least around here in Virginia, they don't. The city of Chesapeake has explicitly said before that they will not use flashing signals for some reason or another when it was requested at some point. Not sure of any other city in the Hampton Roads area that uses them either.

Edit: Here's the excerpt.

QuoteFlashing Yellow Traffic Signal Late Night

The City does not currently operate any signalized intersection in a "flash" mode during the late night hours. Traffic safety studies have documented that there is an increased risk of crashes when operating signals in the flash-mode and the type of crash is more likely to be a high speed/injury type of accident

https://www.cityofchesapeake.net/government/council/town-meetings/town_meetings-previous/deep-creek-town-meeting-2014.htm

tolbs17

Mr Kite

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 27, 2021, 02:57:13 PM
I don't see a major benefit to doing this since actuated signals are widespread now.

Here in the UK, signals going off at night is generally not the done thing, although we do have a few part time signal locations which activate only in peak traffic hours. Vehicle-actuated signals, which they've mostly always been in this country since pretty much the beginning, do negate the need for turning signals off at night in theory but in practice, I too often find myself, when driving late at night, waiting needlessly at a red light whilst nothing is coming in the direction that has the green. Basically, vehicle-actuation is all well and good but needs to be configured properly.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 28, 2021, 12:37:42 AM
^

So people who work the overnight shift at places like Walmart, Whataburger, etc. shouldn't be allowed to walk to and from work because "no one should really be out late at night anyway"?

vdeane

^

I would think that if traffic counts are low enough to justify flash mode, then pedestrian counts would be low enough that it wouldn't trigger stop-and-go mode often enough to defeat the purpose of using flash mode.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

^

Are we farmers in the 1930s here?

ozarkman417

Late at night in my city, we have flashing red and yellow lights. Obviously, the major thoroughfares are the ones with the yellow, while the side streets have red. When two major roads intersect, the lights still operate like normal. This only applies to the city-maintained streets, though. Streets maintained by MoDOT have their lights operating like normal 24/7.

kphoger

Good grief, man.  Heaven forbid I get off work at 11:00pm and then go for a walk around the neighborhood when I get home to calm down.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2021, 07:19:04 PM
^

So people who work the overnight shift at places like Walmart, Whataburger, etc. shouldn't be allowed to walk to and from work because "no one should really be out late at night anyway"?
If they know if it's safe to cross!

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 29, 2021, 12:12:12 AM
^

So you're advocating that people go through a safety course before they're allowed to be a pedestrian after dark??

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2021, 07:01:04 PM
^

So you're advocating that people go through a safety course before they're allowed to be a pedestrian after dark??
Yes.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 29, 2021, 11:14:30 PM
^

Yes.

You are aware that most people in the United States would consider this to be extremely authoritarian, right?

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2021, 11:42:32 PM
^

Yes.

You are aware that most people in the United States would consider this to be extremely authoritarian, right?
Yes, sir.

ozarkman417

^

Yes.

Not to mention an unnecessary use of taxpayer money.
________
As far as promoting pedestrian crossing safety goes, here is one of many examples of signs spread throughout my city in an attempt to get more drivers to yield to peds, as well as to get peds to be aware of nearby cars by making eye contact with the driver and all that stuff. All things considered, it's nothing too paid attention toinvasive.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 29, 2021, 11:54:08 PM
As far as promoting pedestrian crossing safety goes, here is one of many examples of signs spread throughout my city in an attempt to get more drivers to yield to peds, as well as to get peds to be aware of nearby cars by making eye contact with the driver and all that stuff. All things considered, it's nothing too paid attention toinvasive.
I find it a bit funny for a sign asking drivers to pay attention to pedestrians, yet 2 of the 4 pedestrian crossings at that signal don't have crosswalks.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 29, 2021, 11:54:08 PM

The only worse place than Campbell to put that sign would be to put it on Glenstone.

GaryV

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 29, 2021, 11:45:11 PM
^

Yes.

Yes, sir.

Maybe they should teach it in schools alongside other life-learning classes.   :pan:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on May 30, 2021, 05:53:19 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 29, 2021, 11:45:11 PM
^

Yes.

Yes, sir.

Maybe they should teach it in schools alongside other life-learning classes.   :pan:

It's something already taught to kids in kindergarten. Keep to the right when walking. look both ways before crossing the street. Wear bright colored clothing at night.

When kids get older, they are invincible and impress their friends, so they often and intentionally ignore basic safety rules. Then society tells them whatever they do is correct, so they jaywalk wearing dark clothing, and the big bad mean vehicle driver is at fault.

But, the basic correct way to see and be seen is something taught to them at a very young age.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.