News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Signafies You Are on a Road Trip?

Started by ethanhopkin14, June 01, 2021, 04:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 03, 2021, 05:18:21 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2021, 10:50:41 AM

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 10:33:48 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2021, 10:31:15 AM
One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre.

...and sometimes not even your preferred genre.  If the only stations coming in are country music, then sometimes I just listen to country music for a while before searching again.

...or finding your favorite radio station on a different frequency, then having to find it on yet another frequency a couple of hours later.

...or hearing one song you like the sound of and thinking it's your preferred genre so you leave it, then two or three songs deep they play something bizarre that doesn't seem to fit, and you're deliberating on whether you want to keep looking or just grit and bear the bad song.

I have to object to this one. I have never turned on the radio in my car. Well, that's not true. I did during the text drive. But that was the last time.

To what, exactly, do you object?  Scott and me listening to the radio in the car?  Well, I object to your objection!   :-P
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2021, 12:47:07 PM

One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre.

...and sometimes not even your preferred genre.  If the only stations coming in are country music, then sometimes I just listen to country music for a while before searching again.

...or finding your favorite radio station on a different frequency, then having to find it on yet another frequency a couple of hours later.

...or hearing one song you like the sound of and thinking it's your preferred genre so you leave it, then two or three songs deep they play something bizarre that doesn't seem to fit, and you're deliberating on whether you want to keep looking or just grit and bear the bad song.

I have to object to this one. I have never turned on the radio in my car. Well, that's not true. I did during the text drive. But that was the last time.

To what, exactly, do you object?  Scott and me listening to the radio in the car?  Well, I object to your objection!   :-P
Sustained.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2021, 12:47:07 PM

To what, exactly, do you object?  Scott and me listening to the radio in the car?

Well, that depends. How loud is it?  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

For what it's worth, my wife makes fun of me for still listening to the radio. She has like a million MP3s and a Spotify account. I'm cheap so I have neither. My phone has some MP3s ripped from CDs and some music copied from the data directory of some video games I own, but I usually only listen to that when I'm on the way to work (I'm usually irritated enough at the thought of going to work that I don't want to deal with commercials). If I'm traveling on my own schedule, I just listen to the radio because it's less effort, I don't mind a commercial or two then, and I might get to hear something new that I like.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 04, 2021, 01:56:11 PM
For what it's worth, my wife makes fun of me for still listening to the radio. She has like a million MP3s and a Spotify account. I'm cheap so I have neither. My phone has some MP3s ripped from CDs and some music copied from the data directory of some video games I own, but I usually only listen to that when I'm on the way to work (I'm usually irritated enough at the thought of going to work that I don't want to deal with commercials). If I'm traveling on my own schedule, I just listen to the radio because it's less effort, I don't mind a commercial or two then, and I might get to hear something new that I like.

If it matters to you, you can get a dual Spotify account so you can both listen.  I think it's only another $3 a month.

Chris

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on June 04, 2021, 03:18:07 PM

If it matters to you, you can get a dual Spotify account so you can both listen.  I think it's only another $3 a month.

Chris

I've got Sirius in my business vehicle -- but it rarely gets used unless I'm well out of town (more or less in "road trip" territory); normally the radio is tuned to AM 740 (here, KCBS) for the every-10-minute traffic reports, which have proved to be crucial when driving around the region during the day (especially on I-880 up to Berkeley or Alameda, a pretty regular trip).  But when Sirius is on, it's tuned to either the '60's or '70's feed, depending on my mood at the time.  However, sometimes that gets a bit repetitive and/or "top-40" oriented, at which time the CD's start getting fed in!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: sparker on June 04, 2021, 04:00:41 PM

Chris

I've got Sirius in my business vehicle -- but it rarely gets used unless I'm well out of town (more or less in "road trip" territory); normally the radio is tuned to AM 740 (here, KCBS) for the every-10-minute traffic reports, which have proved to be crucial when driving around the region during the day (especially on I-880 up to Berkeley or Alameda, a pretty regular trip).  But when Sirius is on, it's tuned to either the '60's or '70's feed, depending on my mood at the time.  However, sometimes that gets a bit repetitive and/or "top-40" oriented, at which time the CD's start getting fed in!

I have Sirius in my car since I'm in the mountains often enough where I wouldn't get any radio reception nor any data to use Spotify.  I find it pretty handy and it doesn't cost much.  For traffic, I just use Google Maps which connects through Android Auto to my car.  Alas, no physical media are able to be used in my ride.

Chris

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on June 04, 2021, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 04, 2021, 04:00:41 PM

Chris

I have Sirius in my car since I'm in the mountains often enough where I wouldn't get any radio reception nor any data to use Spotify.  I find it pretty handy and it doesn't cost much.  For traffic, I just use Google Maps which connects through Android Auto to my car.  Alas, no physical media are able to be used in my ride.

Chris

Wouldn't own a car without a CD player; got about 2K CD's and have no intention (nor time) to convert them all to files.  Besides, I think they sound better than anything absent a $5K+ streamer (disclaimer: I'm in the specialty audio business).  So if it isn't radio (including Sirius), it's a bunch of CD's in a carrying case!

Bruce

If I can't see some of my home mountains, I'm far enough away to be on a road trip.

ctkatz

on the worst days I have an 8 minute commute so I never use the radio and generally don't enjoy the car I'm driving (this isn't saying I don't like my car, this is there are features of the car I'm in I don't really get a chance to experience).  road trips for me are using the radio to play my audiobooks and using car features that rentals provide.  normally I use my offline gps on my phone when I travel and that puts me at risk in some states by overzealous highway patrols who pull me over simply because I have a car mount on my windshield and that particular state restricts that kind of thing.  I got pulled over and my car searched in arizona just because of my car mount.  last year I was able to use the built-in android auto for the first time, it was nice and convenient and didn't give the cops any reason to stop me.

ctkatz

One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre. Landing on a station where the weather reports are for towns you've never been to and commercials reference streets you've never heard of.

if I still listened to local radio I would.  before I had an mp3 player this definitely was the case.

one of the things I have done on occasion these days is tune in to those special information radio frequencies they promote on the bbs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.