News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A Little More Remote Work Could Change Rush Hour a Lot

Started by cpzilliacus, June 12, 2021, 07:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2021, 12:11:23 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 14, 2021, 12:25:38 PM
No you aren't understanding my point.  We largely require people to work here.  The vast majority of people who work here, want to work in person.  If you don't want to do that, this probably is not the best place for you to be.

Your point seems to be that people "want" to work there.  Being that you are pretty open to saying "If you don't want to be here, work elsewhere", your staff is probably not very open to telling you the truth if they truly want to work in the office or at home.

And when offices operate like that, chances are the staff isn't very open about other things.

Give me a break.  Do you honestly think I say things like "if you don't want to work in person, then find another job?"  We are clear however that the expectations are that they work in person.  And since we largely returned last fall, we haven't had anyone leave.

kphoger

No you aren't understanding my point.  We largely require people to work here.  The vast majority of people who work here, want to work in person.  If you don't want to do that, this probably is not the best place for you to be.

Your point seems to be that people "want" to work there.  Being that you are pretty open to saying "If you don't want to be here, work elsewhere", your staff is probably not very open to telling you the truth if they truly want to work in the office or at home.

And when offices operate like that, chances are the staff isn't very open about other things.

At my work, we were offered the choice a year ago about remaining at home or coming back to the office.  Every single person came back to the office at the first opportunity.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:13:22 PM

At my work, we were offered the choice a year ago about remaining at home or coming back to the office.  Every single person came back to the office at the first opportunity.
Peer pressure increases conformity.  No one wanted to be labeled the slacker.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2021, 01:18:05 PM

I guess you are going to keep coming up with lame excuses instead of realizing that not everyone feels the way you do.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 15, 2021, 01:21:10 PM

I guess you are going to keep coming up with lame excuses instead of realizing that not everyone feels the way you do.
Not excuses, just not accepting the assumptions behind the behavior.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

We were asked by private phone call, without even knowing what our coworkers were choosing.

Any other assumptions you want to make about a situation you're unfamiliar with?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rick Powell

I don't have anything other than empirical evidence for this, but I think the larger the company, the more opportunity and acceptance of remote work. All other things being equal and the work being adaptable to either remote or non remote environments. When I started at my company 11 years ago I was offered 60% remote work mix and I took it. COVID didn't change much for me since I knew how to do it beforehand. The smaller companies we work with seemed to all go back into their offices sooner rather than later, while my regular (40%) office remains closed for another month or 2 till it officially reopens, and we have been bombarded by survey after survey on how we want to work in the future. I don't think they'd be asking if they wanted everyone back in the office.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:29:40 PM

We were asked by private phone call, without even knowing what our coworkers were choosing.

Any other assumptions you want to make about a situation you're unfamiliar with?

Well, if it was by private phone call, there couldn't have been office cultural factors coming into play...

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2021, 01:47:22 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:29:40 PM

Well, if it was by private phone call, there couldn't have been office cultural factors coming into play...

I suppose.  That's kind of my point:  everyone here genuinely wants to work in person, even though working remotely is possible for everyone here.  Not from fear of being labeled a slacker, not based on some supposed work culture–but because none of us liked working from home as much as working in person.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.