Meta > Suggestions and Questions

New post quality restrictions

(1/21) > >>

Scott5114:
Due to some recent events, we have added a couple of new rules to the list. These rules take effect immediately.

The first is pretty simple:

--- Quote ---What's not allowed:

Posts that have no discernible meaning, only random text, or lack sufficient context to form the basis of or contribute to a discussion.
--- End quote ---

Basically, every post on the forum should present some sort of idea that either starts a meaningful conversation or forms a part of an on-going one. Nonsense, incoherent rambling, random non-sequiturs, just restating the post above yours in different words, and posts that don't give enough context for anyone to give a meaningful response all fall under this rule. These posts will be deleted (as they already are), and you'll probably receive a warning. Simple enough; 99% of you should have no problem here.

The other may require a little bit more explanation:

--- Quote ---What's not allowed:

Excessive posting. Users posting messages at a high frequency (such as more than 8 posts in an hour or 32 posts over a 24-hour period) may be subject to a temporary cool-down ban if the moderation team judges that a user is making a high rate of low-quality posts.
--- End quote ---

Going along with the above, we want this forum to be a place for meaningful discussion. Writing a meaningful post is a process that takes a little bit of time and thoughtfulness behind it. Therefore, we are establishing a soft posting rate limit to encourage users to take their time creating interesting posts other users want to read, and to have a way to cut off users who are filling up threads with a high number of low-effort posts.

I want to emphasize here that this is a soft rate limit and the quoted numbers are merely the point at which one of us will check up on your recent post history. Any moderator action that happens then depends on the quality of the posts you made. If, for example, you're away from the forum for a while and then have a burst of activity while you're catching up, we're not going to do anything as long as all of the posts you make are positive contributions to the forum.

If you have any questions, this thread is open for discussion. Thanks for your participation in the forum, guys; I know it sucks having more rules to keep track of, but we want to keep this a place everyone enjoys coming to.

1:
Almost all of my posts are short, except when I begin a thread. Will this new rule affect me?

My other question is that is the "8 per hour, 32 per 24 hours" automated, meaning that it will automatically alert a moderator if someone passes it?

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2021, 07:55:21 PM ---My other question is that is the "8 per hour, 32 per 24 hours" automated, meaning that it will automatically alert a moderator if someone passes it?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that bugs me too. It would not be uncommon for me to post more than eight replies in one sitting while reading the forum.

NE2:
oh

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2021, 07:55:21 PM ---Almost all of my posts are short, except when I begin a thread. Will this new rule affect me?
--- End quote ---

Probably not. Short ≠ low effort, necessarily. A brief but meaningful contribution to a discussion is always welcome.

Here's an example of a post that could theoretically be sanctioned under the rules:

--- Quote from: NE2 on July 30, 2021, 08:13:40 PM ---oh

--- End quote ---
Can't imagine why someone would bother posting something lame like that, but I dunno, it could happen.

--- Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2021, 07:55:21 PM ---My other question is that is the "8 per hour, 32 per 24 hours" automated, meaning that it will automatically alert a moderator if someone passes it?

--- End quote ---

No. We don't automate moderation at all, and probably never will. This ain't Menlo Park.

This will be implemented by someone noticing "hey, X is posting a lot lately", going to their post history, and manually looking over the posts. If they are good posts, then nothing happens. The numbers there are a rule of thumb for those who are unclear on the concept of "quality over quantity" and need a more concrete guideline to follow as to what that means.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version