AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 369462 times)

MASTERNC

• Last Login: July 24, 2021, 09:36:14 PM
Re: Pennsylvania
« Reply #1800 on: July 19, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »

It's interesting that PennDOT was saying that flashing yellow arrows would be used for new and replacement signal installations in lieu of the doghouse signals.  However, it seems, at least in District 6, they are still using doghouse setups for new installations and there are random installations of FYA.  I'm guessing it's because they need to install two new signals (a FYA assembly and a second thru signal), whereas using the doghouse covers both the turning and thru movements.

ekt8750

• Last Login: July 24, 2021, 08:22:52 PM
« Reply #1801 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »

It's interesting that PennDOT was saying that flashing yellow arrows would be used for new and replacement signal installations in lieu of the doghouse signals.  However, it seems, at least in District 6, they are still using doghouse setups for new installations and there are random installations of FYA.  I'm guessing it's because they need to install two new signals (a FYA assembly and a second thru signal), whereas using the doghouse covers both the turning and thru movements.

From what I've seen, the FYAs have been going in at newly built and rebuilt intersections and most of those have been in more sparsely populated suburban to rural areas. I haven't seen any say in the city or more densely populated suburbs as of yet. I'm guessing in those areas, they need to be weaned off the doghouse before showing them something they haven't seen before and cause accidents.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 02:41:25 PM
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tylert120

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:25 PM
« Reply #1803 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:12 PM »

From what I've seen, the FYAs have been going in at newly built and rebuilt intersections and most of those have been in more sparsely populated suburban to rural areas. I haven't seen any say in the city or more densely populated suburbs as of yet. I'm guessing in those areas, they need to be weaned off the doghouse before showing them something they haven't seen before and cause accidents.

It is the complete opposite in Pittsburgh. There are more FYAs going up in city limits than you can count.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: July 24, 2021, 09:36:14 PM
« Reply #1804 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »

I've actually seen at least one FYA in Philadelphia for right turns (15th & Arch), though they use it completely wrong.  It's a four section signal but the green arrow is never used.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.