News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDon102

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on December 17, 2020, 10:37:08 AM
Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (12/19) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile NY Route 17/Interstate 86 across the Catskill region of New York State and discuss the history and features of this highway (also known as the "Quickway") all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the highway between Harriman and Binghamton.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

boy I love the roadwaywiz family of products

Roadgeekteen

Uh Wikipedia said that I-86 would be completed and signed west of Binghamton in December 2020 did that happen?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 15, 2021, 12:29:54 AM
Uh Wikipedia said that I-86 would be completed and signed west of Binghamton in December 2020 did that happen?
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 15, 2021, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 15, 2021, 12:29:54 AM
No.
Lol any timeline? Google's giving me nothing. (also why not just sign it already it's good enough!)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

There is still a substandard section west of Binghamton, somewhere in the area of exits 67-69.  It's theorized that the missing project is the proposed new local bridge across the Susquehanna River, which would have a diamond interchange with NY 17 that would replace existing exit 68.  And no timeline, all further I-86 conversion activity is on indefinite hold and there is only so much money and the state would rather use it to maintain the existing system.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I just drove through the Hale Eddy to Hancock section and, unless things have changed over the last couple of years, the estimates I last saw had to be ridiculously low, given all the work that would need to be done to bring that section up to Interstate standards.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2021, 11:38:57 PM
There is still a substandard section west of Binghamton, somewhere in the area of exits 67-69.  It's theorized that the missing project is the proposed new local bridge across the Susquehanna River, which would have a diamond interchange with NY 17 that would replace existing exit 68.

With NY 17, NY 26, and Vestal Ave all crossing the Susquehanna in that vicinity, it seems strange that another crossing would be needed. Do you have any idea what the start and endpoints would be? A crossing that connects Hooper Rd and African Rd is the only location that jumps out to me; that would certainly improve connectivity between Endwell and the shopping destinations along NY 434.

Also, what exactly is substandard about the 67-69 segment? I don't notice anything glaring, but must be missing something..

storm2k

Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2021, 11:16:38 AM
There is still a substandard section west of Binghamton, somewhere in the area of exits 67-69.  It's theorized that the missing project is the proposed new local bridge across the Susquehanna River, which would have a diamond interchange with NY 17 that would replace existing exit 68.

With NY 17, NY 26, and Vestal Ave all crossing the Susquehanna in that vicinity, it seems strange that another crossing would be needed. Do you have any idea what the start and endpoints would be? A crossing that connects Hooper Rd and African Rd is the only location that jumps out to me; that would certainly improve connectivity between Endwell and the shopping destinations along NY 434.

Also, what exactly is substandard about the 67-69 segment? I don't notice anything glaring, but must be missing something..

The substandard shoulder widths on the bridges there immediately jumps out at me. You can clearly see where they have to narrow to cross the bridges. It's several of them in that area.

jemacedo9

Quote from: storm2k on May 16, 2021, 06:33:08 PM

The substandard shoulder widths on the bridges there immediately jumps out at me. You can clearly see where they have to narrow to cross the bridges. It's several of them in that area.
There are bridges just as narrow just west of Coopers Plains (west of Corning) but that was allowed to become I-86. 

webny99

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2021, 06:42:46 PM
Quote from: storm2k on May 16, 2021, 06:33:08 PM

There are bridges just as narrow just west of Coopers Plains (west of Corning) but that was allowed to become I-86.

Heh, that's exactly what I was going to mention before I saw your post. This is probably the one you're referring to, and it's on a curve, no less. There's also this one and at least one or two others, as I recall.

Bumppoman

The bridge that has been talked about for years locally connects Hooper Rd. and Sycamore Rd.  There was some talk at the state level about this around the turn of the millennium, and recently there was a grassroots campaign to revive it but nothing came of it.

Exit 68 is vestigial to when the NY-26 bridge opened ~7 years before Route 17 through the area.  The WB-to-NB and SB-to-EB sections of the Exit 67 cloverleaf were opened at the same time as the bridge to allow traffic to access the new bridge from Old Vestal Rd.  I don't mean to imply Exit 68 isn't used, but a large portion of that traffic is headed to or coming from the Sycamore Rd. area and would be better served by the relocated Exit 68.

webny99

Quote from: Bumppoman on May 17, 2021, 09:55:03 PM

The bridge that has been talked about for years locally connects Hooper Rd. and Sycamore Rd.  There was some talk at the state level about this around the turn of the millennium, and recently there was a grassroots campaign to revive it but nothing came of it.

Exit 68 is vestigial to when the NY-26 bridge opened ~7 years before Route 17 through the area.  The WB-to-NB and SB-to-EB sections of the Exit 67 cloverleaf were opened at the same time as the bridge to allow traffic to access the new bridge from Old Vestal Rd.  I don't mean to imply Exit 68 isn't used, but a large portion of that traffic is headed to or coming from the Sycamore Rd. area and would be better served by the relocated Exit 68.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I figured the potential crossing must be in that area. It does make sense that Exit 68 would be a lot more heavily used if it were on the other side of the river in conjunction with a new crossing.

SGwithADD

What makes the existing Exit 68 bad is that there is no traffic light at Old Vestal Rd., even though most traffic turns left. This can lead to some precarious near-accidents due to impatience at the intersection.

I remember attending a town board meeting in Vestal back in 2001 about the bridge, where the then-supervisor cautioned me about the 25-year wait for the Apalachin bridge downriver (Exit 66). Scoffed then, but we're almost at the 25-year mark now... The bridge would significantly alleviate traffic on the Vestal Parkway (NY 434), for which NYSDOT did a study back in ~2004 on how to address growing congestion and accident rates (with limited action beyond some sidewalks and better signal interconnections).

IIRC, the reason the bridge was bundled with the upgrades was because the Exit 68 offramp has a deficient radius, and is a partial interchange, so it was easier to just relocate and address the parkway congestion as well.

dlainhart

It's theorized that the missing project is the proposed new local bridge across the Susquehanna River, which would have a diamond interchange with NY 17 that would replace existing exit 68.
Come again? A local realtor floated this but it went nowhere.
I've been told there have indeed been studies on such a bridge and if you could point me to them I'd be grateful.

This would be a very useful bridge, given how much traffic on NY 201 and NY 26 is between those two points.
Given how much traffic uses the westbound Exit 68 onramp to go from Old Vestal Rd to the NY 26 bridge to Endicott, I can't imagine a workable solution to "upgrading" this actually-deficient weaving area would be to merely close the ramp.
The issues I see with such a project are that the tremendous de-diversion of traffic from 26 and 201 would necessitate heavy "improvements" to Hooper and Sycamore Rds, amongst others. Hooper Rd in particular probably could not handle any more traffic as it is, and improving it without tearing down everything on either side of it seems like a challenge.

vdeane

Quote from: dlainhart on June 26, 2021, 07:06:57 PM
It's theorized that the missing project is the proposed new local bridge across the Susquehanna River, which would have a diamond interchange with NY 17 that would replace existing exit 68.
I've been told there have indeed been studies on such a bridge and if you could point me to them I'd be grateful.
Unfortunately, there's a reason I said "it's theorized".  I'm just repeating something I heard or read from some other roadgeek at some point.  It doesn't seem like anyone knows anything concrete, outside of perhaps BMTS and Region 9.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheDon102

Surprised this hasn't been brought up but apparently NYSDOT is seriously studying the possibility of adding a third lane to NY-17 between I-87 to NY 211 (Middletown) or NY 17B (Monticello).  End of Fall 2021 is when a report is due out.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/rt17pelstudy

NJRoadfan

Widening has been needed for many many years in Orange County. As I have said before, they should have done it when they were spending all that money reconstructing that section of roadway to interstate standards.

seicer

From https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region8/projects/806509-Home/806509-Repository/Rt17PEL_NYSDOT%20Public%20Workshop%202_FINAL_0.pdf

"Don't name the highway for anyone's relative"

You mean, not the Andrew Cuomo Expressway? :D

--

I am glad to see that four of the interchanges are being studied for removal.

TheDon102

Quote from: seicer on July 12, 2021, 10:04:53 AM
From https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region8/projects/806509-Home/806509-Repository/Rt17PEL_NYSDOT%20Public%20Workshop%202_FINAL_0.pdf

If that means we can get a 6 lane freeway to monticello, and NY 17 fully converted to interstate standards, I'll gladly be in favor of the renaming it all to the Andrew M. Cuomo Expressway  :-D

vdeane

Quote from: seicer on July 12, 2021, 10:04:53 AM

--

I am glad to see that four of the interchanges are being studied for removal.
Interesting presentation.  I wonder if this section of the road would be ready for I-86 if all this were done?  Although it's not the exact same list of projects as was shared on the forum years ago, it feels fairly similar.  Some of those interchanges (particularly exit 122) were JUST done, however.  Makes me think that maybe "make it I-86 and then think about widening" might not have been the best plan.

(personal opinion)

seicer

Re: Exit 122. It states that " Stage 1 EB ramps completed previously" but I am not sure what that comprised of. The three exits in quick succession on NY 17 have long been an issue and this should at least remedy the issue for now.

Bumppoman

Quote from: dlainhart on June 26, 2021, 07:06:57 PM

This would be a very useful bridge, given how much traffic on NY 201 and NY 26 is between those two points.
Given how much traffic uses the westbound Exit 68 onramp to go from Old Vestal Rd to the NY 26 bridge to Endicott, I can't imagine a workable solution to "upgrading" this actually-deficient weaving area would be to merely close the ramp.
The issues I see with such a project are that the tremendous de-diversion of traffic from 26 and 201 would necessitate heavy "improvements" to Hooper and Sycamore Rds, amongst others. Hooper Rd in particular probably could not handle any more traffic as it is, and improving it without tearing down everything on either side of it seems like a challenge.

In my personal experience, nearly all of the traffic using that onramp is coming from the Town Square Mall area.  I guess it would make sense for some traffic in the Union district of Endicott to go that way too but if it weren't there, they could just as easily take NY-17C to Campville.

jemacedo9

Of note:  NYS DOT Press Release on 9/24:

NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION TO HOST ONLINE PUBLIC MEETING ON PLANS TO IMPROVE INTERCHANGE 105 ON STATE ROUTE 17 IN TOWN OF THOMPSON, SULLIVAN COUNTY

"The project is intended to enhance safety and prepare the interchange for the road's eventual conversion to Interstate 86."

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2021/2021-09-241

kernals12

Why didn't they have I-84 follow the NY 17 corridor and then cross over the Hudson through Peekskill on its way to Brewster? As it is, 84 is too far north to offer a true bypass for Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

TheDon102

Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 09:10:14 AM
Why didn't they have I-84 follow the NY 17 corridor and then cross over the Hudson through Peekskill on its way to Brewster? As it is, 84 is too far north to offer a true bypass for Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

I dont think 84 was ever intended as a "bypass". It's simply a freeway that links "Northern" New England to North East PA and points west. off topic though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.