News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RestrictOnTheHanger

There are a few others in Region 10 that have the angle visors as well. Louvers are more common though

Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2021, 07:00:41 AM
See the visor on the right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TBEhEpnsVvP1VwqH6

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2021, 07:00:41 AM
See the visor on the right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TBEhEpnsVvP1VwqH6

Good grief I get why they did that, but that is just comical.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SkyPesos

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 15, 2021, 01:38:42 PM
Saw this oldy driving around the other day
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6625023,-90.294584,3a,38.3y,342.42h,99.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTg0jexje5np_rFglwdGqBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Kind of surprised that it has a red arrow considering its age. You think that it would be completely replaced if they wanted to add in the red arrow.

DrSmith

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 15, 2021, 01:38:42 PM
Saw this oldy driving around the other day
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6625023,-90.294584,3a,38.3y,342.42h,99.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTg0jexje5np_rFglwdGqBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://goo.gl/maps/k5A1aYDzeFPsUBqb7
From a different view in April 2019, looks like the duct tape let go. Later on someone must have duct taped it back together again or rubberbanded it or something in June.... https://goo.gl/maps/6UX6tEYN2RvsLdddA

STLmapboy

Here's an interesting light in Alpine, CA, near San Diego.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

All yellow backplates at this intersection in Moses Lake, WA:

https://goo.gl/maps/B9iAy96Tw9dCktjF9

SignBridge

The 2009 Manual requires black backplates. However given that they now allow the yellow reflective strip, they might as well allow the backplate to be all yellow. Because if you have a yellow head and a black backplate with yellow trim, the only dark color you will see is a thin strip looking like a box around the head. So why bother?

STLmapboy

Over the past year, several lights in San Diego and Orange counties have gotten yellow reflectors on their backplates (examples here, here, and here). Before 2020, these reflectors were few and far between (this one was installed in 2016), but they've grown exponentially in the past year. I don't know if Caltrans or other agencies are responsible, but it's certainly nice to see them spreading.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SkyPesos

Put me in the minority here, but I don't like the look of yellow backplates, and prefer black ones or none at all.

plain

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 18, 2021, 01:01:05 PM

I totally get what they did there. Still rubs me the wrong way  :-/
Newark born, Richmond bred

SkyPesos

Quote from: plain on June 30, 2021, 09:52:16 PM

Looks like to me they were too lazy to install a third signal for the slight left, and instead decided to place it on top of the full left turn to save space or resources.

jakeroot

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 30, 2021, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: plain on June 30, 2021, 09:52:16 PM

Looks like to me they were too lazy to install a third signal for the slight left, and instead decided to place it on top of the full left turn to save space or resources.

Not quite. The slight left and full left occur from the same lane, so only one signal would be permitted.

They are simply going above-and-beyond installing the extra slight-left arrows for both the red and green phase. Normally only the green phase has the extra arrows, similar to this signal in Burien, WA, or this signal in Shorelines, WA.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on June 30, 2021, 09:02:07 PM
The 2009 Manual requires black backplates. However given that they now allow the yellow reflective strip, they might as well allow the backplate to be all yellow. Because if you have a yellow head and a black backplate with yellow trim, the only dark color you will see is a thin strip looking like a box around the head. So why bother?

I would have to agree. Maintaining the dull-black requirement seems contrary to the goal of improving signal recognition. All black signals certainly fit into the surrounding environment a bit better, but that's also the issue. Apparently.

jakeroot

I may have found another example of an arrow facing the wrong way:

Pine St @ Clayton Rd, Concord, CA

The old signal for southbound Pine had three identical signals on the far side of the intersection (far left + overhead + far right) showing a green orb & green left arrow. This was recently replaced with a near-identical setup, apart from a right-facing green arrow for the far-right signal.

No big deal, right? Well, the right turn actually proceeds through a slip lane, with both a yield sign and yield markings (as seen in the GSV link). So the signal would be conflicting with that message. Even more evidence is that there is only a single right-facing green arrow; California requires at least two arrows for any turn movement.

zachary_amaryllis

well... this is about traffic signals so here i go..

its about emergency vehicles pre-empting them. the intersection i work most frequently at has this mechanism as there is a fire station just down one of the streets. when the fire engine approaches, the light facing it will turn green, with a green left arrow. a short time later, when the preemption is cleared, the signal seems to go into an undefined state that i can't figure out. the light that was facing the fire engine will turn red, then the opposite side gets a green with arrow. then, the first side gets green and arrow again. meanwhile, people on the cross street (which is the main drag actually) get tiny hard poops from waiting for the preemption to un-mungle the light.
what's actually supposed to happen on these? i would have thought the light would return to whatever phase it was in when the preemption occurred, but it seems like this one resets to some default state or initial state.
for the locals, it's harmony and college in fort collins.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

fwydriver405

I don't know what CO uses for controller type or cabinet type, but this explanation will assume NEMA TS1/2 controllers/cabinets, maybe a few ATC controllers/cabinets. Generally in a NEMA controller, once preemption ends... there is usually a preemption clearance in the form of exit phases before the controller resumes normal operation. However, some controllers may continue the last phase time in the background or resume whatever the last phase was. Here is an explanation from plans from the MaineDOT BUILD Grant...

Quote from: MaineDOT BUILD Grant, WIN 024301.00
IN RESPONSE TO A PRE-EMPTION SIGNAL RECEIVED AT AN INTERSECTION BY AN OPTICAL DETECTOR AND/OR RSU, THE CONTROLLER SHALL HOLD OR ADVANCE TO AND HOLD THE EMERGENCY ACTIVE PHASE GREEN FOR A MINIMUM OF 10 SECONDS OR UNTIL THE PRE-EMPTION SIGNAL CEASES. THE CONTROLLER SHALL THEN TIME PRE-EMPTION PHASE CLEARANCE (5.0 SECONDS YELLOW AND 2.5 SECONDS ALL RED) AND SERVICE SUBSEQUENT EMERGENCY ACTIVE PHASES AS NECESSARY. AT THE COMPLETION OF THE PRE-EMPTION CYCLE, THE CONTROLLER SHALL TIME THE PRE-EMPTION CLEARANCE AND RESUME NORMAL SIGNAL OPERATION.

kphoger

I spotted this in Gainesville (TX) last week.  Seems like a bad idea...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2021, 01:04:54 PM

[img snipped]
There was one similar to that in my old hometown of St Charles. Since the middle is an option lane, and there's a protected left turn signal, you have left turn cars block that lane, and people going straight have to change over to the right lane, which defeats the purpose of an option lane. Thankfully, it got replaced after I moved out with two lanes for each direction.

mrsman

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 09, 2021, 01:11:18 PM

[img snipped]
There was one similar to that in my old hometown of St Charles. Since the middle is an option lane, and there's a protected left turn signal, you have left turn cars block that lane, and people going straight have to change over to the right lane, which defeats the purpose of an option lane. Thankfully, it got replaced after I moved out with two lanes for each direction.

The option lane left turn with a protected only display is sometimes the only feasible option.  What do you do if you have both a heavy left turn movement and a heavy straight movement, where both movements deserve two lanes, but you only have three lanes total to work with?  The option lane may be your only feasible solution.  Traffic would back up too much if you have one left and two straight or two left and one straight.  And it is even worse when the left turn is busy in the morning rush and the straight is busier in the afternoon rush.  The middle lane can address both movements.

The question then becomes what is the best way to operate the signals governing the option lane?  The usual default is split phasing, but that usually causes considerable delay, so if it can be avoided -- the better.  The next choice is to allow permissive turning from both lanes.  This tends to work well only when there is a lagging left and opposing lefts are prohibited.  So then the final choice is to have what is presented above, protected only left in the option lane.  These are usually lagging lefts.

Is this always a bad move?  Not necessarily.  It is true that someone turing left from the middle lane will encourage traffic in the middle lane to shift over to the right, but when traffic is very heavy, someone would instaed just wait.  The guy in front wanting to turn left is blocking me, but when he gets a green arrow to go left, I can then continue behind him.  maybe waiting for the end of the signal phase would overall be less time then trying to squeeze into the right lane.

SkyPesos

Quote from: mrsman on July 11, 2021, 09:32:19 PM
So then the final choice is to have what is presented above, protected only left in the option lane.  These are usually lagging lefts.
My example was a leading left if that changes anything.

tolbs17

SkyPesos

plain

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 11, 2021, 10:27:12 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 11, 2021, 10:14:45 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.418144,-77.9354909,3a,62.9y,216.86h,96.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGKowGsIEev5PLF9ldy_v6w!2e0!5s20180701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Why is there no green arrow here.
Permissive only FYA

I was thinking it was actually a bi-modal arrow (seen elsewhere in NC) but after taking a close look at it, it looks too skinny for that. I believe your correct.
Newark born, Richmond bred

FreewayDan

Another "bad idea" is along northbound Post Oak Boulevard at I-610 West Loop North in uptown Houston:
https://goo.gl/maps/G3k8uQUgUfpc9Yp1A
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.