News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 19, 2021, 09:05:47 PM
Somewhat similarly to Wisconsin, in local jargon in Minnesota everything that isn't an interstate is colloquially called "Highway X". Interstates are either I-x or just referred to by number with no prefix at all.

I don't think I've ever heard county highways referred to that way in Minnesota.

For example, I've heard "Anoka 10" and "Anoka County 10", but I've never heard it called "Highway 10".  (This was perhaps not the best example, considering there's a US-10 nearby, but my point stands.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Occasionally, but not often.  I'd usually hear "County xx" or "County Road xx".

SkyPesos

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 19, 2021, 08:58:34 PMI think the Star Tribune article should have called the highway US Highway 12 instead of just Highway 12. Then again, since there is only one Highway 12 in Minnesota, I doubt anyone was confused when they omitted the "US" part from the article.

Somewhat similarly to Wisconsin, in local jargon in Minnesota everything that isn't an interstate is colloquially called "Highway X". Interstates are either I-x or just referred to by number with no prefix at all.
I don't hear US routes in various states called as "US X" that much either, it's mostly "Highway X", "Route X" or just the number, like with "Highway 40" in St Louis. Some people I met don't know the difference between US routes and state routes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2021, 11:28:02 AM

I don't think I've ever heard county highways referred to that way in Minnesota.

For example, I've heard "Anoka 10" and "Anoka County 10", but I've never heard it called "Highway 10".  (This was perhaps not the best example, considering there's a US-10 nearby, but my point stands.)

I was specifically referring to state-maintained routes, but yes, you're right.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

With the I-94 rebuild/widen from 494/694 to Rogers construction back underway, MnDOT is doing express/local lanes on I-94 for westbound traffic - the express lane begins just after 494/694, right after people have gotten through the painful center lane merge coming off 494 and 694. This s going to be a complete shitshow as we get into the heart of cabin season because of all the idiots who couldn't figure it out last year when it was on the eastbound side from 101 to 494/694, and that was without a major interchange just behind them.

EpicRoadways

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 27, 2021, 06:13:21 PM
With the I-94 rebuild/widen from 494/694 to Rogers construction back underway, MnDOT is doing express/local lanes on I-94 for westbound traffic - the express lane begins just after 494/694, right after people have gotten through the painful center lane merge coming off 494 and 694. This s going to be a complete shitshow as we get into the heart of cabin season because of all the idiots who couldn't figure it out last year when it was on the eastbound side from 101 to 494/694, and that was without a major interchange just behind them.
I *still* can't figure out why they aren't adding an auxiliary lane on WB 94 from the 494/694 interchange to Weaver Lake Road. It seems like giving drivers that additional 1/2 mile to merge would go a long way at reducing backups and I can't imagine a little extra concrete would break the bank on a $150 million+ project.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 19, 2021, 08:58:34 PMI think the Star Tribune article should have called the highway US Highway 12 instead of just Highway 12. Then again, since there is only one Highway 12 in Minnesota, I doubt anyone was confused when they omitted the "US" part from the article.

I'm not sure I would use the word colloquial.  WisDOT has always called them state trunk highways, county trunk highways, etc. in spite of the efforts of the US Postal Service (when did they ever own or maintain highways?) and people from Minnesota and Illinois (and now Wisconsin) to incorrectly call them county roads and state roads in Wisconsin. 

midwesternroadguy

I used to work at a firm on Highway 10 before TH610/10 was completed. Our address was on "Highway 10"  when it was still a US highway. I suspect that reference carries over since the number didn't change with the turnback in the "˜90s. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on May 30, 2021, 04:58:16 PM

I used to work at a firm on Highway 10 before TH610/10 was completed. Our address was on "Highway 10"  when it was still a US highway. I suspect that reference carries over since the number didn't change with the turnback in the "˜90s. 

Speaking of County 10, MnDOT seems unable to make up its mind on signage for it - they replaced all the County 10 shields on I-35W with text "County 10" in recent years to try to eliminate confusion with US 10, but with the MnPass rebuild and widen on 35W in that area, a bunch of the new signs installed in that project have County 10 shields again.

JoePCool14

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 30, 2021, 09:06:47 PM

Speaking of County 10, MnDOT seems unable to make up its mind on signage for it - they replaced all the County 10 shields on I-35W with text "County 10" in recent years to try to eliminate confusion with US 10, but with the MnPass rebuild and widen on 35W in that area, a bunch of the new signs installed in that project have County 10 shields again.
Can't they just renumber County 10? I feel like that would be easier.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

andarcondadont

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 31, 2021, 04:38:19 PM

Sure, Anoka County 3 is already pretty short. Maybe extend the Anoka County 3 designation to replace Anoka County 10. As for Ramsey County, I do not have an idea for renumbering County 10.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: andarcondadont on May 31, 2021, 04:45:42 PM

Sure, Anoka County 3 is already pretty short. Maybe extend the Anoka County 3 designation to replace Anoka County 10. As for Ramsey County, I do not have an idea for renumbering County 10.

Ramsey County 3's western terminus is at County 10 very near I-35W, so it probably wouldn't be too much hassle to renumber (nearly) the whole corridor as County 3. Just leave the remaining part of County 10 between County I and I-35W as an unmarked county road.

andarcondadont

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 31, 2021, 06:32:56 PM

Ramsey County 3's western terminus is at County 10 very near I-35W, so it probably wouldn't be too much hassle to renumber (nearly) the whole corridor as County 3. Just leave the remaining part of County 10 between County I and I-35W as an unmarked county road.
On top of that, County 10 through Mounds View is locally known as Mounds View Blvd (a relatively new name). Why don't MnDOT signs make use of that name to reduce confusion with US Highway 10?

DJ Particle

How about "CSAH-110"?  Just an idea.  Now that there's no more MN-110.

andarcondadont

Quote from: andarcondadont on May 31, 2021, 09:52:57 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 31, 2021, 06:32:56 PM

On top of that, County 10 through Mounds View is locally known as Mounds View Blvd (a relatively new name). Why don't MnDOT signs make use of that name to reduce confusion with US Highway 10?
Correcting my mistake: after a drive through I-35W north in Mounds View, I noticed that the signs for the County 10 exit do, in fact, include the local name, Mounds View Blvd.

on_wisconsin

Anyone know when MNpass will officially join EZPass? Read last year that it was supposed to happen sometime this summer, but no info on actual date or new tags etc.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 15, 2021, 08:23:33 PM
Anyone know when MNpass will officially join EZPass? Read last year that it was supposed to happen sometime this summer, but no info on actual date or new tags etc.

Since MnDOT is only doing this because they're being forced, it's a nebulous "whenever they decide to finish it".

Mdcastle

There's a contract out to completely replace the MnPASS back office systems do to this, although it implies the actual linkage to EZPass and "other systems that may be required to fulfill the requirements of MAP-21" is implied to be a future phase.

MNDot has been ready to accept EZ-Pass for several years with new tri-mode readers so it's a matter of A) replacing the back office with a compatible system and work out an agreement to link them, and B) starting to issue new transponders.  I'm assuming they'll be dual mode ISO 18000 6B / EZPass like North Carolina has.

STLmapboy

Anyone know why Highway 212 is closed between 169 and 494 today?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 18, 2021, 11:30:03 AM
Anyone know why Highway 212 is closed between 169 and 494 today?

Construction work on the Southwest LRT, which will overpass US 212 at the Shady Oak Road interchange. I think this closure has lasted several days longer than planned by now.

Postmortem, US 212 finally reopened Friday afternoon 6/18. The initial closure was supposed to be last Saturday to this past Tuesday if I recall seeing the signs on my commute.

D-Dey65

Does anybody have any pictures of this sign arrangement?
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9515764,-93.1216812,3a,75y,85.32h,85.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPkTLbi_sSRr--gNnFVxlbg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Because the image in this picture is terrible:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Interstate_94_-_St_Paul,_MN_-_panoramio_(3).jpg
And I'd rather wait until there's a replacement than tag it for any defects.

TheHighwayMan3561

I took a wild day trip to I-Falls, making a couple observations:

1. They've done some exit number recalibration on I-35W.

County E2: Exit 26 -> Exit 26A
I-694: Exits 27 A&B -> Exits 26 B&C
County 96: Exit 28A -> Exit 27

2. Heading east on MN 11 out of International Falls, there was a small white double-sided "END/BEGIN STATE MAINT" set just past the 3rd Avenue East intersection on the east end of town, identical to the ones at the highway's eastern terminus several miles ahead. It got me wondering if MnDOT turned over MN 11 in downtown I-Falls with the highway still marked through the city; I couldn't find any info either way on Google so I assume this sign refers to something else and MN 11 is still under state maintenance in downtown (admittedly I'm not sure if this is allowed in MN like it is in other states). However, it would be consistent with MnDOT wanting local cities to maintain local streets in urban cores. The routings of all three highways in downtown I-Falls (11/53/US 71) are a mess.

froggie

^ Did you happen to see if there were any exit number changes at Hwy 10 or County Rd H?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2021, 09:23:21 AM
^ Did you happen to see if there were any exit number changes at Hwy 10 or County Rd H?

I'll have to go back through there again to double check what has changed to what numbers. I'm assuming yes since 96 was the old Exit 28A (which probably pushes County 10 to 28A and County H to 28B), but I only initially noticed the changes at the three interchanges I noted.

TheHighwayMan3561

Something I missed or wasn't previously announced; early July kicks off a three-year stretch of improvements on US 52 between Cannon Falls and Zumbrota. These include various reconstructions (mostly on the southbound lanes), a new interchange at MN 57, and improvements at both MN 60 interchanges. It does mention planned improvements at Goodhue CSAH 7 had to be scrapped for now due to financial constraints.

I'm starting to think the railroad crossing north of Cannon Falls will ultimately be the last thing to go on US 52.  :awesomeface:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d6/projects/hwy52-hader-southbound-improvements/index.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.