News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Widening I-81 from I-83 to I-78 in PA

Started by Roadsguy, September 04, 2012, 08:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 18, 2020, 09:12:14 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 17, 2020, 08:45:42 PM
Any chance they could add an interchange between Interstate 81 and the Interstate 76/Pennsylvania Turnpike? Although if they did that, they might have to close both highways' interchanges with US 11 due to the existing exits' proximity to Interstate 81 crossing over the Interstate 76/Pennsylvania Turnpike.

I think that they would make sure the I-81/US 11 interchange at Exit 52 stayed if a direct connection was built between I-81 and the PA Turnpike.  I am not so sure about the I-76 one though economic interests may win in this entire battle anyway.

PTC needs to finish the 95/295/276 interchange first before they can begin spending 50 years building a direct connection to I-81.

That said, perusing the area there seems to be plenty of room to build such an interchange without disrupting too much else. The existing turnpike interchange with US 11 would be fine since you'd have well over half a mile between gore points. The I-81 interchange would need to be braided to avoid weaving.

The saving grace with the turnpike now being permanently cashless is you can just build the interchange like it's between two ordinary freeways and throw up a couple gantries across the turnpike mainline on either side to determine who's entering or exiting. No more need for any sort of double trumpet design.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ARMOURERERIC

Plus only building an East to north and south to west ramps would likely cover 60% of the movements.

Chris19001

Quote from: Duke87 on September 19, 2020, 01:56:38 PM
That said, perusing the area there seems to be plenty of room to build such an interchange without disrupting too much else. The existing turnpike interchange with US 11 would be fine since you'd have well over half a mile between gore points. The I-81 interchange would need to be braided to avoid weaving.
Yes, that would be the simple and likely superior way to do it considering the existing high speed setup for US11's exit.  However, I doubt that's what the PTC will do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.