News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

As of today most of the ramps at the I-10/Loop 303 interchange are open. The 303 itself is now open to south of Van Buren St. Extension south of the new end won't get started for at least two years.

https://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news-release/2017/10/09/adot-opens-three-new-ramp-connections-at-i-10-loop-303-interchange-in-goodyear

Roadwarriors79

All the ramps at the I-10/Loop 303 interchange are open.

Some Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) updates. Sound wall construction looks to have started on the Pecos segment, from 48th St going west. Some blasting continues west of 24th St.

Around 59th Ave, more bridges have started between Lower Buckeye Rd and I-10. At the future I-10 interchange, it looks like the ramp that will probably get finished first will be the NB 202 to WB 10.

Roadwarriors79

So today I noticed a new sign on SB I-17 just north of Loop 303. It basically said "South 303 to West I-10 - Phoenix Bypass Route". I'm wondering if a companion sign is on EB I-10 approaching Loop 303.

kdk

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on January 04, 2018, 07:53:19 PM
So today I noticed a new sign on SB I-17 just north of Loop 303. It basically said "South 303 to West I-10 - Phoenix Bypass Route". I'm wondering if a companion sign is on EB I-10 approaching Loop 303.

Yeah, I have noticed that before too on I-17.  I drove I-10 EB approaching the 303 a few weeks ago and did not see that.  I don't know if that's because it would confuse EB drivers with the fact that there has been a sign saying Phoenix bypass route for years referencing AZ 85 south through Gila Bend.

I know that northern Arizona gets a lot of California tourists now, and they would be driving south on I-17 to I-10, so maybe that's directed towards them?

Roadwarriors79

For those that are curious, there is a bypass sign on EB I-10 suggesting using Loop 303 to access I-17 NB.

mrsman

These are good signs to have.  Even better would be if the signs leading to 303 would have control cities of Los Angeles or Flagstaff.  Many beltways, especially in the midwest, have control cities that lead to other radial routes to enforce the use of a beltway as a bypass.

The signs to AZ 85 on I-10 EB should then mention Tucson as well as Gila Bend.

howlincoyote2k1

Question about the South Mountain freeway, and maybe it's too early to ask, but are they planning on opening the whole thing all at once, or certain segments at a time? Mostly curious.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: howlincoyote2k1 on January 26, 2018, 02:07:03 PM
Question about the South Mountain freeway, and maybe it's too early to ask, but are they planning on opening the whole thing all at once, or certain segments at a time? Mostly curious.

The freeway may unofficially open in sections. The "center section"  that will go through South Mountain Park will probably be the last section to be completed. I'm sure some segments will be in use to construct other portions. For example, what will replace Pecos Rd will probably be at least partially open as it's completed.

Roadwarriors79

Some visual progress of the Pecos section of the South Mountain Freeway construction (going west):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNph1gt3YeY

Progress on the I-10 Papago segment (going north):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6BwAwNr9-4

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on January 31, 2018, 01:49:29 AM
Progress on the I-10 Papago segment (going north):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6BwAwNr9-4

I'm surprised they haven't torn down that warehouse south of Van Buren Street yet. Looks like it's still being used too.

Sonic99

If I had to guess, some of the properties may have agreements with ADOT that they can operate until a certain date to fulfill contracts they may have for production of goods. Plus they may not be in as-critical places for overpasses and that type of thing so they can hang out a little longer.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Roadwarriors79

Flyover of the Salt River segment of the future South Mountain Freeway (going north):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvvcBPUef4

Roadwarriors79

Minor update on Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway construction. The bridge that will carry Loop 202 over 40th St was just recently painted. It should be one of the first bridges finished. Also, by tomorrow morning (March 3), the westbound I-10 off ramp at 59th Ave will be permanently closed. Access from I-10 to 59th Ave in the future will be via frontage roads between 51st Ave and 67th Ave.

Pink Jazz

Looks like ADOT may be gearing up for the Daktronics DMS installs on the remaining portion of the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway, since I saw a truck over by one of the foundations that were installed this past fall doing some work, and in addition AZ511.gov is showing a closure on the 202 SanTan eastbound between Higley and Power from March 23 to March 24.
I wonder if they will be full color models like the new ones that were installed north of Anthem on I-17 last year.

ztonyg

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 12, 2018, 09:19:54 PM

Looks like ADOT may be gearing up for the Daktronics DMS installs on the remaining portion of the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway, since I saw a truck over by one of the foundations that were installed this past fall doing some work, and in addition AZ511.gov is showing a closure on the 202 SanTan eastbound between Higley and Power from March 23 to March 24.
I wonder if they will be full color models like the new ones that were installed north of Anthem on I-17 last year.

Speaking of DMS. ADOT has changed the font on several of the Skyline DMSs.

The new font is smaller and more difficult to read. I'm not quite sure why this was done (I'd assume it had to do with a software update).

Pink Jazz

ADOT just posted more planned closures on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway during that same weekend for Saturday night, between Broadway and Elliot Road southbound.  I am pretty sure these are for the DMS installs.  Perhaps the weekend after will be for the opposite directions on the same segments.

Pink Jazz

Looks like ADOT will be installing dynamic message signs this weekend on the section of the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway between Higley and Power, along with traffic flow sensors and cameras.  However, it looks like the section between Guadalupe and Broadway will be getting traffic flow sensors this weekend if my interpretation of ADOT's Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory is correct.  ADOT says it will be getting "traffic management technology" installed this weekend, but only specifies traffic flow sensors.  I'm not sure if this includes dynamic message signs.  There are foundations for dynamic message signs in that section of Loop 202, however, I am not sure if the installation will take place this weekend based on my interpretation of ADOT's Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory.

Pink Jazz

I was on the portion of the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway today between Guadalupe and Broadway, and it looks like the side mounts for the gantries were installed, however, neither the center sections nor the DMS themselves were installed.  I didn't check the portion between Higley and Power.

Bobby5280

QuoteThe new font is smaller and more difficult to read. I'm not quite sure why this was done (I'd assume it had to do with a software update).

If these displays work anything like other LED-based variable message signs the message composing software should allow for different letter sizes based on pixel height. The software would have to be very primitive (we're talking 1980's & 1990's primitive) to allow for only one lettering size. Daktronics' Galaxy message centers (used on commercial businesses) provide a whole lot more creative control regardless if the unit is monochrome or full color. The price difference between color and monochrome has narrowed in recent years, which might explain why we're seeing some new highway digital message signs being installed with full color capability.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 26, 2018, 10:12:21 AM
QuoteThe new font is smaller and more difficult to read. I'm not quite sure why this was done (I'd assume it had to do with a software update).

If these displays work anything like other LED-based variable message signs the message composing software should allow for different letter sizes based on pixel height. The software would have to be very primitive (we're talking 1980's & 1990's primitive) to allow for only one lettering size. Daktronics' Galaxy message centers (used on commercial businesses) provide a whole lot more creative control regardless if the unit is monochrome or full color. The price difference between color and monochrome has narrowed in recent years, which might explain why we're seeing some new highway digital message signs being installed with full color capability.

ADOT didn't even adopt full matrix until around 2012 when it signed its previous contract with Skyline. Most DMS in the state are fixed character matrix.

Pink Jazz

More closures on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway and the east end of the Red Mountain Freeway are planned this weekend, I presume this weekend will be the DMS installs.  Friday night will be the Red Mountain between US 60 and Broadway, while Saturday night will be the SanTan between US 60 and Elliot.

Roadwarriors79

The first bridge related to the South Mountain Freeway section of Loop 202 is open. It's the Elliot Rd overpass.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/37864082/adot-first-south-mountain-freeway-bridge-in-laveen-open

Pink Jazz

I saw one of the new Daktronics DMS on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway eastbound last evening between Higley and Power.  Based on what I saw, it appeared to be a color model from the apparent resolution, although I am not 100% sure since it was almost night.

Pink Jazz

I saw one of the new Daktronics DMS that were installed this past weekend on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway southbound near Baseline.  It definitely appears to be a color model.

Now whether or not they will actually display different colors or graphics remains to be seen.  Last time I saw a message on one of them north of Anthem on I-17 they were simply displaying plain yellow text (which I presume is the default message color for these signs), although in a smoother font than the Skyline signs due to the higher sign resolution.  I know that ADOT's current control software does not presently have the capability to control fonts or display graphics on the Skyline full matrix signs, so I would be very surprised if it is capable of controlling color on these new Daktronics signs.  ADOT probably plans on upgrading their software soon, but probably has to maintain compatibility with their older signs, since most of ADOT's signs are of the fixed character matrix type.

Roadwarriors79

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.