News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-10 Cotton Lane construction in 1978

Started by MarkF, July 13, 2016, 02:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zonie

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on July 14, 2016, 01:32:54 AM
The story of that place is fascinating to me. Apparently it was open for only 2 years before being closed down due to there being poor access to the area and because of the harsh climate. I read that the windows were blown out in the 1990s by an explosion during the filming of a Charlie Sheen movie there. And to think that nowadays transcontinental Interstate 10 was built right next to it; I bet it would've saved this place if it was built a few decades earlier.

Looks like the Trotting Park is in escrow, and its days may be numbered.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2016/08/23/long-vacant-phoenix-trotting-park-goodyear-escrow-could-demolished/89016306/

coatimundi

While city officials are optimistic about redevelopment, some nearby residents said demolition of the well-known grandstands would strip Goodyear and the West Valley of a piece of the community's history and the area's identity.
snip
Built in the 1960s, the race track was only active for two winter seasons of horse racing before being abandoned in 1966

People are idiots with this stuff. When they start tearing down tacky Jiffy Lubes and the 5,000 CVS parking lots, are people going to feel nostalgic?
If I lived in Goodyear, I would consider this an embarrassment. But also it's a source of concern for attracting the wrong kind of attention. Good riddance. I hope they put in something more than just more Phoenix-typical sprawl houses & retail.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on August 26, 2016, 12:04:18 PM
While city officials are optimistic about redevelopment, some nearby residents said demolition of the well-known grandstands would strip Goodyear and the West Valley of a piece of the community's history and the area's identity.
snip
Built in the 1960s, the race track was only active for two winter seasons of horse racing before being abandoned in 1966

People are idiots with this stuff. When they start tearing down tacky Jiffy Lubes and the 5,000 CVS parking lots, are people going to feel nostalgic?
If I lived in Goodyear, I would consider this an embarrassment. But also it's a source of concern for attracting the wrong kind of attention. Good riddance. I hope they put in something more than just more Phoenix-typical sprawl houses & retail.

Yeah but somehow this became a half-century old relic of a bygone era.  As crazy as the events were that led to it happening and big of a failure that track really was that's pretty overwhelmingly amazing it has survived all this time.  It would be kind of neat if they could do some sort of park or sports complex that incorporated anything that can be salvaged.  But given the tact of the Phoenix area it will likely be cookie cutter houses.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.