News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Intrastate U.S. Highways

Started by wdcrft63, May 06, 2015, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

According to Wikipedia:
Since 1991, AASHTO has been in the process of eliminating all intrastate U.S. Highways less than 300 miles (480 km) in length, "as rapidly as the State Highway Department and the Standing Committee on Highways of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials can reach agreement with reference thereto"

This policy has been in effect for 24 years, and as far as I can tell not a single intrastate (single-state) U.S. highway has be decommissioned. Does anyone have an example?

usends

First, to clarify, are you referring to this Wiki page?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highways
I don't see the reference to 1991.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

The Nature Boy

wxfree

The quote is on (at least) this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Numbered_Highways
The citation links to an interesting document here: http://route.transportation.org/Documents/HO1_Policy_Establ_Develop_USRN.pdf

To answer the question, I don't know of any short intrastate US routes that have been eliminated since 1991, but I'm not much of a highway historian.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kendancy66

The opposite has happened.  I know that US 311 was once a intra-state US highway, but was extended into back Virginia

national highway 1

The only intrastate US highways that I know off-hand are US 92, US 192, US 290, US 57, US 181 and US 175.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

wdcrft63

Quote from: wxfree on May 06, 2015, 11:11:25 PM
The quote is on (at least) this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Numbered_Highways
The citation links to an interesting document here: http://route.transportation.org/Documents/HO1_Policy_Establ_Develop_USRN.pdf

To answer the question, I don't know of any short intrastate US routes that have been eliminated since 1991, but I'm not much of a highway historian.

Thanks for the link to the policy document. It doesn't seem to have been as effective as its drafters wanted.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2015, 10:17:33 PM
According to Wikipedia:
Since 1991, AASHTO has been in the process of eliminating all intrastate U.S. Highways less than 300 miles (480 km) in length, "as rapidly as the State Highway Department and the Standing Committee on Highways of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials can reach agreement with reference thereto"

This policy has been in effect for 24 years, and as far as I can tell not a single intrastate (single-state) U.S. highway has be decommissioned. Does anyone have an example?

If it actually happenned by now, US 158 in NC would be the only remaining intrastate US route thanks to it being longer than 300 miles :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

slorydn1

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 07, 2015, 09:28:37 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2015, 10:17:33 PM
According to Wikipedia:

If it actually happenned by now, US 158 in NC would be the only remaining intrastate US route thanks to it being longer than 300 miles :sombrero: .

Yep, and I can now say that I clinched it just last month. :sombrero:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

The Nature Boy

Can we get rid of all intrastate INTERSTATE highways that are less than 300 miles in length? That would free up a ton of numbers.

usends

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 07, 2015, 08:36:18 AM
Quote from: wxfree on May 06, 2015, 11:11:25 PM

Thanks for the link to the policy document. It doesn't seem to have been as effective as its drafters wanted.

OK, so the first lines of that policy document do include a date of 1991, but reading through the contents, I see evidence that it was actually released in 1970.  And I also suspect it borrows language and concepts from an even earlier document.  So I think Wiki is misleading where it says "since 1991".  In fact, the reality (from what I've observed) is that it was actually more like the 1980s when AASHTO's Standing Committee on Route Numbering stopped following several of the policies set forth in that document.

Regarding the specific policy under discussion here (eliminating intrastate US routes under 300 mi.), there are still 20 routes that meet this criteria.  During recent years, some of these states have petitioned AASHTO to approve changes to some of these routes.  If AASHTO had been abiding by its own policies, their decisions would have been, "No, we do not approve that change, and furthermore, you need to change that to a state highway!"  But that has not happened.  Rather, it appears AASHTO has stopped concerning itself with the integrity of the US route system, and for several years has essentially rubber-stamped just about every proposal that the states have submitted (no matter how misguided or lame-brained).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

triplemultiplex

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 07, 2015, 09:43:40 AM
Can we get rid of all intrastate INTERSTATE highways that are less than 300 miles in length? That would free up a ton of numbers.
So long, I-45....
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Yes, it was policy to decommission short in-state US routes long before 1970 too.  Getting rid of in-state US routes was one of the goals of California's 1964 renumbering.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 07, 2015, 09:58:10 AM
So long, I-45....
And just about every 3di in existence...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

The Nature Boy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 07, 2015, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 07, 2015, 09:58:10 AM
So long, I-45....
And just about every 3di in existence...

Well, I would only get rid of 2dis that are less than 300 miles in length. 3di numbers can be reused in different states.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on May 07, 2015, 10:55:01 AM
It's been policy since 1937: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10190
I have seen it cited in old California highway documents (from the 1930s). And yet, AASH(T)O disobeyed its own rule several times, authorizing the creation of U.S. 156 in Kansas, U.S. 57 in Texas, and - not sure of the date - possibly the relocation of U.S. 96 (a double rule-breaker) in Texas.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

bugo

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 06, 2015, 11:26:00 PM
The only intrastate US highways that I know off-hand are US 92, US 192, US 290, US 57, US 181 and US 175.

US 266

Big John

Quote from: bugo on May 07, 2015, 11:32:02 AM

US 266
US 46

PHLBOS

Quote from: Big John on May 07, 2015, 11:48:45 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 07, 2015, 11:32:02 AM
US 266
US 46
Guys, open the thread-link that NE2 posted (reposted below).  All currently-active intrastate US routes are the first items listed.

Quote from: NE2 on May 07, 2015, 10:55:01 AM
It's been policy since 1937: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10190
GPS does NOT equal GOD

wdcrft63

Quote from: usends on May 07, 2015, 09:47:46 AM

OK, so the first lines of that policy document do include a date of 1991, but reading through the contents, I see evidence that it was actually released in 1970.  And I also suspect it borrows language and concepts from an even earlier document.  So I think Wiki is misleading where it says "since 1991".  In fact, the reality (from what I've observed) is that it was actually more like the 1980s when AASHTO's Standing Committee on Route Numbering stopped following several of the policies set forth in that document.

Thanks: these are illuminating comments. The U.S. numbered highways were established in 1926 to serve interstate (small "i") travel, a purpose now addressed by the Interstate (capital "I") system. The U.S. numbered highways have become a sort of trunk road system like the A roads in Britain.

Rover_0

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 07, 2015, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: usends on May 07, 2015, 09:47:46 AM

Thanks: these are illuminating comments. The U.S. numbered highways were established in 1926 to serve interstate (small "i") travel, a purpose now addressed by the Interstate (capital "I") system. The U.S. numbered highways have become a sort of trunk road system like the A roads in Britain.

I've always liked the comparison that the US system is the American counterpart to the British trunk (A) Roads; they have use wherever and whenever Interstates are not accessible.

I feel that such instances include stretches where US Routes roughly parallel Interstates but aren't concurrent with them (and where there are simply no other routes within a reasonable distance), such as I-84 and US-30 in Idaho and Oregon and I-70 and US-6 in Colorado. While most of the time it may be redundant, in the event of a crash or disaster a US Route may often be the best available route in case the nearby Interstate is closed, but not the US Route.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

steviep24

US 104 in Upstate NY which was decommissioned in 1970 and became NY 104.

roadman65

US 106, thanks to New York not willing to allow it where NY 52 is.  It eventually got cut up into PA 652, and PA 106 back in the early 70's.  This was all part of a purge with US 111, US 230, US 309, and US 611 as all of these were intrastate minus US 111 that at least entered Maryland.  Yes, US 611 did enter New Jersey for a short period, but only for 4 mile( hardly much of an appearance anyway) and still most of its life was exclusively to PA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Molandfreak

It should be the priority to extend these routes that have national value into another state, rather than decommission them. U.S. 104 should absolutely have been replaced with an extended U.S. 4, U.S. 301 should have replaced U.S. 611, U.S. 309 should have gone down NJ 42 or another important route, etc.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.