News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The freeway home stretch toward downtown

Started by WISFreeways, October 08, 2009, 10:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISFreeways

I-290 EB (in Chicago), I-35W NB and I-35E SB (in Minnesota), and I-64 EB towards STL.
2009-era me chose this generic username...

mightyace

:confused: Could you clarify what you are talking about?  :confused:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

allniter89

QuoteCould you clarify what you are talking about? 
Whew, I thought it was just me needing clarafication.  :hmmm:
Oh wait, is this like Jeopardy??? Is the answer..."What are the busiest inbound routes to a particular city?"  :hmmm:  :nod:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

leifvanderwall

I think we need a little more challenging topic.

wandering drive

Um, I think I-94 WB into Saint Paul is a much better entrance into downtown, great view of the Mississippi.
I think?

WISFreeways

Guys I mean that a freeway's "home stretch" toward downtown is like a fairly straight freeway that goes through roads that form a grid.

vdeane

Still confused... :confused:

What exactly is the point here?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WISFreeways

Start with a particular section of freeway that goes to downtown. Then look at the roads surrounding it. If its a narrow freeway with a lot of frontage roads (and a city's road system grid-like in most of its city limits ), then its a freeway home stretch  :nod:

rawr apples

I-5 south into Portland?
pretty much any freeway into downtown detroit
Now shut up and drivee

SSOWorld

ok.

I-43 south into Milwaukee
I-94 east into Milwaukee
I-94 North (technically West by interstate standards) into Milwaukee
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Chris petite on October 09, 2009, 05:15:06 PM
Start with a particular section of freeway that goes to downtown. Then look at the roads surrounding it. If its a narrow freeway with a lot of frontage roads (and a city's road system grid-like in most of its city limits ), then its a freeway home stretch  :nod:
Would that make the freeway's markings stretch marks?  :hmmm:

WISFreeways

Oh yeah I forgot one thing guys. You have to see the skyline almost all of the time when driving on a home stretch freeway.

PAHighways

I-279/Parkway North from McKnight Road to I-579

SSOWorld

Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) southeast into Chicago, Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) north into Chicago.

I-55/70 Southwest into St Louis

I-880 Northbound into Oakland - clear view of San Francisco
I-80 West into the Bay Area (San Francisco) - and this is before the bridge.
US-101 or I-280 North into San Francisco

I-10 (Santa Monica Freeway or San Bernardino Freeway) from either east or west into Los Angeles
US 101 (Hollywood Freeway) Southeast into LA.

I-80 east into Sacramento - it's so flat you can see the skyline from 20 miles away
I-5 SB into Sacramento

every direction into Denver (I-25 and I-70)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

WISFreeways

I-94 SB (technically EB) into the Twin Cities, but NOT I-94 WB into St. Paul because it has that uphill 10-lane section with US 61.

Alex

Quote from: Chris petite on October 09, 2009, 04:51:03 PM
Guys I mean that a freeway's "home stretch" toward downtown is like a fairly straight freeway that goes through roads that form a grid.

Interstate 275 in Tampa somewhat fits this criteria, though there is a northward jog from the Hillsborough River to the interchange with Interstate 4. Downtown Tampa's skyscrapers rise just south of the freeway and are visible on both approaches.

FLRoads

Interstate 4 and Toll Florida 408 (East-West Expwy) also somewhat fit this criteria as Interstate 4 runs parallel a bit with the downtown north-south streets while slicing through the western portion of downtown. The 408 runs parallel with the east-west streets, with the exception of a couple of jogs, and has frontage roads to the north and south of it east of the Interstate 4 interchange, namely South Street (to the north) and Anderson Street (to the south). Orlando's skyline can be seen clearly on all approaches as well.

xcellntbuy

The long urban 8-, 10-, 12- and 14-lane 80-mile homestrech of Interstate 95 southbound into downtown Miami.

The lower-level tier of Interstate 64 eastbound into downtown St. Louis.  Miss that small sign that says last exit in Missouri and you will be quickly shipped over the Poplar Street Bridge, high over the Mississippi and launched into the multiple elevated ramp maze of East St. Louis, Illinois.

As and aside from days when I was much younger...

Although much, much different today, prior to its closure in 1973, NY 9A the Miller Highway, more commonly known as the Westside (Elevated) Highway, a black steel-decked belt of Belgian block pavement, sweeping southward into lower Manhattan along what were once bustling New York peers.  Felled by a lethal mix of salt water air and pigeon poo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.