Bottleneck ramps

Started by ParrDa, September 25, 2017, 02:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: ParrDa on September 30, 2017, 10:25:10 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 30, 2017, 06:28:02 AM
Quote from: ParrDaPassing on the right is definitely more commonplace than it should be around here. But I'd attribute that to too much left lane camping, not aggression.

New Yorkers in general are experts at "left lane camping"...they're one of the top three states I've observed over the years that do so.
The other two being...?

Minnesota and Louisiana.  I have not experienced the level of left land banditry in Ohio that Rothman claims.

Rothman

Heh.  Minnesota is pretty bad, too.

I still think Ohio is the worst.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: ParrDa on October 01, 2017, 06:21:55 PM
Are you saying that's a bad thing? I guess I'm guilty (though I would stay right after passing on the right), but I quite enjoy being a participant in such scenarios :sombrero:
No.  I'll take Rochester drivers over Capital District drivers on just about anything.  Except downtown Albany... there you can get honked at for things like not speeding, not running over pedestrians, and not running red lights.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

If you want an example of a "bottleneck" ramp -- obviously constricted because of lack of available space -- one needs go no further than the north I-215 "transfer" direct ramp in Riverside between the segment of that route multiplexed with CA 60 and the segment that is functionally a NE continuation of the CA 91 (Riverside) freeway.  It was rebuilt in the early 2000's from its original cloverleaf format; the ramp in question originally carried NB US 395 traffic (SB traversed a loop).  While extensive flyovers were constructed to enhance the southbound I-215 transition, the "new" northbound ramp was simply an -- initially -- 2-lane expansion of the original single lane (then, as now, utilizing a C/D arrangment on westbound CA 60) -- but the two lanes shrink to one before merging with the 3 through lanes coming from CA 91; the single lane becomes a "slip" lane alongside the freeway before departing at the Columbia Ave. interchange about 3/4 mile north of the freeway-to-freeway transition.  Apparently it was politically infeasible to encroach upon the neighborhood immediately adjacent to the interchange, so that ramp was rebuilt within the profile of the original.  And since the EB 91>WB 60 and EB 60>NB 215 loop ramps were retained (to save money as well as avoid additional encroachment), it wasn't possible to simply install a continuously-curving direct ramp (look at this on GE; it has a straight portion between the curvature off one alignment and onto the other; that configuration was also a holdover from cloverleaf days).  When I lived and worked in the region 2003-2012, this was definitely a place to avoid during both morning and evening commute times; the backup regarding NB I-215 traffic was at least a mile or two during those periods.   

froggie

QuotePerhaps you need a bit more experience in Ohio  :D I'd say six lane highways are worse than four lane, without question.

I have plenty already.  It's not easy to stay in the U.S. going between the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast and the Upper Midwest without going through Ohio.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.