News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 11:19:10 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 28, 2019, 10:13:45 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 09:49:41 PM
A bill meant to boost funding for Virginia highways could put some of $1.1 billion in planned projects in Hampton Roads at risk, says state Sen. Frank Wagner, R-Virginia Beach.  The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Warm Springs, aims to create a statewide highway funding program.
It would help if the article would cite the bill number so that readers can read it for themselves and see what it says, on lis.virginia.gov.
Relating to the funding thing, I still want to know why there's billions being poured into these projects, yet the Dominion Blvd expansion done a few years back was shoved off any of this funding and forced Chesapeake to build it w/ tolls.

I want to know why the screed didn't cite the bill number so that I can read it for myself and see what it says, on lis.virginia.gov.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

davewiecking

SB 1770; http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?191+ful+SB1770

Clicked "contact reporter"  at top of article and asked for cite; response received within an hour. Didn't ask why he didn't include bill number in the article.

VTGoose

Quote from: Beltway on January 28, 2019, 10:13:45 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 09:49:41 PM
A bill meant to boost funding for Virginia highways could put some of $1.1 billion in planned projects in Hampton Roads at risk, says state Sen. Frank Wagner, R-Virginia Beach.
The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Warm Springs, aims to create a statewide highway funding program.

It would help if the article would cite the bill number so that readers can read it for themselves and see what it says, on lis.virginia.gov.

Easily found with a couple of clicks:

SB 1770 Transportation funding; creates a statewide approach to funding
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+ful+SB1770

On 1/18 it was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 09:49:41 PMCreigh Deeds

Why is this name so familiar to me? Why would I, a Kentucky resident, have heard the name of a state senator from a very rural and remote portion of Virginia before? Did he run for higher office and lose at one time?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2019, 10:43:37 AM

Why is this name so familiar to me? Why would I, a Kentucky resident, have heard the name of a state senator from a very rural and remote portion of Virginia before? Did he run for higher office and lose at one time?
Yes, he ran for governor against Bob McDonnell. He’s also tried to get speed camera legislation passed before, so...yeah. Wouldn’t vote for him if I lived in his district on that notion, despite agreeing with him in some other areas.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

WTOP reports the Commonwealth and Transurban just announced an estimate $1 billion of road projects, including extending the Beltway HO/T lanes north to the Legion Bridge:

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2019/01/1-billion-in-northern-va-road-projects-announced/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NEW%20Breaking%20News%20-%20DO%20NOT%20USE&utm_term=2017_WTOP%20Breaking%20News
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 29, 2019, 11:30:03 AM
WTOP reports the Commonwealth and Transurban just announced an estimate $1 billion of road projects, including extending the Beltway HO/T lanes north to the Legion Bridge:

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2019/01/1-billion-in-northern-va-road-projects-announced/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NEW%20Breaking%20News%20-%20DO%20NOT%20USE&utm_term=2017_WTOP%20Breaking%20News
Finally, the HO/T lanes are getting extended. Hopefully Maryland commits to the same concept - 2 HO/T lanes in each direction. Next, the HO/T lanes need to be extended across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Beltway

Nothing there or on the VDOT project website about the VA-267 interchange -- that was only partially upgraded in the 2012 project due to not knowing the design of the northern extension, as to whether it would be 2 lanes or 4 lanes.  Now it is known that it will be 4 lanes (2 each way).

The VA-267 interchange has some original bridges that need to be replaced, and a few left-hand ramp terminals that need to be relocated to the right side of I-495.

Finally, the HO/T lanes are getting extended. Hopefully Maryland commits to the same concept - 2 HO/T lanes in each direction.

At least all the way to I-270.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on January 29, 2019, 11:37:53 AM

Nothing there or on the VDOT project website about the VA-267 interchange -- that was only partially upgraded in the 2012 project due to not knowing the design of the northern extension, as to whether it would be 2 lanes or 4 lanes.  Now it is known that it will be 4 lanes (2 each way).

The VA-267 interchange has some original bridges that need to be replaced, and a few left-hand ramp terminals that need to be relocated to the right side of I-495.
The 2 miles will also have to be fully reconstructed. New bridges, new interchanges, etc. The existing location of the lanes is not adequate.

At least all the way to I-270.
Definitely to I-270, but they've mentioned in the past studying a full beltway of HO/T lanes in combination with Virginia's. A minimum of 4 GP + 2 HO/T in each direction for 64 continuous miles.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on January 29, 2019, 11:01:16 AM

Yes, he ran for governor against Bob McDonnell. He's also tried to get speed camera legislation passed before, so...yeah. Wouldn't vote for him if I lived in his district on that notion, despite agreeing with him in some other areas.

Deeds was almost murdered by his son, as well. Deeds' son had been ordered by a judge to be committed, but there were no beds available, so he was released. The son promptly attempted to stab him to death before taking his own life.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jmiles32

The project supposedly will add express lane connections to both the GW Parkway and Dulles Toll Road. While I have yet to see any specific plans, I would assume that this DTR connection will lead to the completion of the interchange overhaul. Very interested to see how the GW Parkway connection and northern terminus will be designed given the small amount of space available in the area. While there isn't much in the Northeast quadrant of the I-495/GW interchange, I wouldn't be surprised if that land is parkland.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9650596,-77.1788304,1348m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on January 29, 2019, 02:58:55 PM
The project [I-495 HOT lanes extension] supposedly will add express lane connections to both the GW Parkway and Dulles Toll Road. While I have yet to see any specific plans, I would assume that this DTR connection will lead to the completion of the interchange overhaul. Very interested to see how the GW Parkway connection and northern terminus will be designed given the small amount of space available in the area. While there isn't much in the Northeast quadrant of the I-495/GW interchange, I wouldn't be surprised if that land is parkland.

I would surmise that the 12-lane widening/reconstruction will stop at the southern edge of the GW Parkway interchange.  They will need to see exactly what Maryland will do with the Legion Bridge in their HOT lanes project, before they can design that section that ties into that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

VTGoose

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 29, 2019, 02:34:11 PM

Yes, he ran for governor against Bob McDonnell. He's also tried to get speed camera legislation passed before, so...yeah. Wouldn't vote for him if I lived in his district on that notion, despite agreeing with him in some other areas.

Deeds was almost murdered by his son, as well. Deeds' son had been ordered by a judge to be committed, but there were no beds available, so he was released. The son promptly attempted to stab him to death before taking his own life.

And the scandal was that there were beds available but the social services folks in Rockbridge County didn't put enough effort into locating one. Deeds has become a strong advocate for better mental health care as a result.

Takumi

Quote from: VTGoose on January 29, 2019, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 29, 2019, 02:34:11 PM

And the scandal was that there were beds available but the social services folks in Rockbridge County didn't put enough effort into locating one. Deeds has become a strong advocate for better mental health care as a result.

Right, his mental health advocacy is something I agree with.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

Yes, he ran for governor against Bob McDonnell.

Before then, he ran for attorney general against Bob McDonnell. The AG race was a lot closer than the race for governor. It went to recount, which didn't change the outcome.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

VTGoose

Senate passes bill to raise reckless driving threshold

RICHMOND – Sen. David Suetterlein, R-Roanoke County, is making another attempt this year at raising the reckless driving threshold, and this time he hopes the bill will go the distance.

The state Senate passed his bill that would raise from 80 to 85 mph the threshold for reckless driving in areas of Virginia where a 70 mph limit is posted. SB 1578 passed on a bipartisan vote of 35-5 on Tuesday.

Under Virginia's driving laws, reckless driving is 20 mph over the speed limit. What Suetterlein is trying to address is more of an issue on the interstates, where speed limits may be set at 70 mph. So going 11 mph over is considered a reckless driving offense.

If a police officer clocks a driver going over 80 mph in Virginia, that person faces a misdemeanor charge that can carry up to a year in jail or a $2,500 fine. While offenders may not get thrown behind bars, and judges will reduce the charge, drivers may hire lawyers because of the possible punishment.

The bill has now passed the Senate four times in a row. It died last year in a House committee.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/politics/general_assembly/general-assembly-notebook-senate-passes-bill-to-raise-reckless-driving/article_0fdb4fc4-115e-5370-9125-bb95cd8996cf.html

LM117

Quote from: VTGoose on January 30, 2019, 01:05:00 PM
Senate passes bill to raise reckless driving threshold

RICHMOND – Sen. David Suetterlein, R-Roanoke County, is making another attempt this year at raising the reckless driving threshold, and this time he hopes the bill will go the distance.

The state Senate passed his bill that would raise from 80 to 85 mph the threshold for reckless driving in areas of Virginia where a 70 mph limit is posted. SB 1578 passed on a bipartisan vote of 35-5 on Tuesday.

Under Virginia's driving laws, reckless driving is 20 mph over the speed limit. What Suetterlein is trying to address is more of an issue on the interstates, where speed limits may be set at 70 mph. So going 11 mph over is considered a reckless driving offense.

If a police officer clocks a driver going over 80 mph in Virginia, that person faces a misdemeanor charge that can carry up to a year in jail or a $2,500 fine. While offenders may not get thrown behind bars, and judges will reduce the charge, drivers may hire lawyers because of the possible punishment.

The bill has now passed the Senate four times in a row. It died last year in a House committee.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/politics/general_assembly/general-assembly-notebook-senate-passes-bill-to-raise-reckless-driving/article_0fdb4fc4-115e-5370-9125-bb95cd8996cf.html

I $uspect it'll be DOA in the House as usual...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on January 30, 2019, 03:09:50 PM

I $$$upect that if you watch your $$$peedometer, that you won't get a ticket.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2019, 03:23:52 PM

I'm not sure which of you made me roll my eyes harder.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sprjus4

11 over when you're driving with the flow of traffic on the interstate doesn't warrant thousands of dollars for one ticket. The penalty for reckless driving should begin at 85 MPH. When the maximum speed limit was 65 MPH, it was 80 MPH. Now that's it 70 MPH, it should be 85 MPH.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 30, 2019, 05:44:40 PM
11 over when you're driving with the flow of traffic on the interstate doesn't warrant thousands of dollars for one ticket. The penalty for reckless driving should begin at 85 MPH. When the maximum speed limit was 65 MPH, it was 80 MPH. Now that's it 70 MPH, it should be 85 MPH.

Then why does 16 over warrant thousands of dollar$$$$$ for one ticket? 

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

It doesn't, but baby steps.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2019, 08:47:39 PM

I don't agree with the high penalty as it is, but it gives a 15 MPH cushion like there was before. Those penalities should only apply to a truly reckless driver, not just one cruising down the interstate at 82 MPH with everybody else, not harming anybody. The dude weaving in and out of lanes at 87 MPH, tailgating, etc. can get the high fines and reckless driving charge.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 30, 2019, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2019, 08:47:39 PM
I don't agree with the high penalty as it is, but it gives a 15 MPH cushion like there was before. Those penalities should only apply to a truly reckless driver, not just one cruising down the interstate at 82 MPH with everybody else, not harming anybody. The dude weaving in and out of lanes at 87 MPH, tailgating, etc. can get the high fines and reckless driving charge.

Needing a "cushion" is just the speak of an aggressive driver that wants to go 20 to 25 mph over the limit.

Did you know that Virginia had a 70 mph freeway speed limit for a year before the 1973 NMSL?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2019, 09:36:08 PM
Needing a "cushion" is just the speak of an aggressive driver that wants to go 20 to 25 mph over the limit.
Can you do math? 85 MPH is 15 over 70 MPH, not 20 or 25. Most state's have that type of cushion.

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2019, 09:36:08 PM
Did you know that Virginia had a 70 mph freeway speed limit for a year before the 1973 NMSL?
I thought it was 65 MPH on all highways, regardless of freeway or non-limited-access (and it still should be).

What interstate was it? I-85? Or all of them?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.