News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Johnson County Gateway

Started by route56, April 10, 2014, 10:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: Alex on November 10, 2016, 07:56:47 PM
https://twitter.com/KansasCityKDOT/status/796881051989798912

Thought this was due to open soon.

All the ramps on the C-D road are open (not sure if they switched SB35 traffic onto this road). I especially like the ramp to NB 435. They had to blast a lot of rock in that area in order to build that ramp.

Also, some of the bridge approaches are settling, so they're going to be doing nighttime repairs to fix those. http://jocogateway.com/joco-gateway-project-address-bridge-approach-settling-issue/
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

https://twitter.com/KansasCityKDOT/status/798940438770106368

The new eastbound lanes between I-35 and 69 are ready for traffic. Big green APL signs are in my future, and I might just be able to get through the Gateway at maximum authorized speed.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

Can I get a little reverb here?

55112 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

They finally put up the new marker for the east END! of K-10. It's located on the eastbound 435 mainline just before the merge with the ramp from southbound I-35. Apologies for the motion blur.

The inside lane eastbound is still being worked on between I-35 and Quivera. Otherwise, it's now 4 thru lanes eastbound between the K-10 merge and the triangle. Still 3 lanes westbound from the Quivera exit (braided ramp at US 69) to Quivera (where the braided ramp merges on to I-35) There's now two lanes for the I-35 exit, and the overhead guide signs for I-35 have been uncovered. The flyover ramps (both EB 435/NB 35 and WB 435/SB 35 still only have one lane open

R.P.K.

mvak36

Final project update newsletter.

Infographic

route56

https://twitter.com/KansasCityKDOT/status/807321008369700864

Basically, the left lane on eastbound 435 at I-35 opens, giving 435 at least 4 lanes eastbound from K-10 to the Triangle. Westbound, all 4 lanes are open.

Also, the two flyover ramps from 435 to I-35 will finally open to two lanes.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on December 10, 2016, 10:32:47 AM
Also, the two flyover ramps from 435 to I-35 will finally open to two lanes.

I went down to Olathe earlier tonight and saw that the WB 435 to SB 35 ramp is 2 lanes now.

mvak36

Thread bump after more than 4 years.

The City of Lenexa requested 400 million in earmarks for the next phase of the Gateway project. Not sure if they'll get it but worth a shot I guess.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article251005159.html
QuoteThe City of Lenexa is seeking more than $600 million in federal aid for a pair of road construction projects in Johnson County that failed to get the green light at the state level.

Lenexa wants more than $400 million to complete the third phase of the expansive Johnson County Gateway project at the heavily traveled interchange of I-435, I-35 and K-10.

The proposal would pay for the construction of a flyover ramp at I-35 northbound and I-435 westbound and improvements to the I-435 interchange at 95th Street among other upgrades to reduce congestion.

In addition, Lenexa is asking for nearly $200 million to expand K-10 between K-7 and I-435.

The requests were submitted on Lenexa's behalf to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee by Kansas Democratic Rep. Sharice Davids, the panel's vice chair.

Scott5114

How is this going to work if it passes–Lenexa is seeking money to turn over to KDOT to do the actual work? Or is the city of Lenexa going to let contracts to expand a state highway?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mvak36

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 03:55:50 PM
How is this going to work if it passes–Lenexa is seeking money to turn over to KDOT to do the actual work? Or is the city of Lenexa going to let contracts to expand a state highway?

I'm not sure even if they get the money, they can start work on it right away. I would think KDOT would still have to do design, ROW, etc.,

I could be wrong, but I don't think Lenexa would be the one letting out the contracts. It would have to be KDOT.

Revive 755

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 03:55:50 PM

My guess is Lenexa will do most of the design work but it will be coordinated through whatever Local Systems/Local Roads department KDOT has and ultimately let by KDOT - like some of the other Local Federal Aid projects I see listed in the KDOT letting thread.

mvak36

Looks like the Lenexa earmarks weren't selected but the 167th St/US69 interchange did get approved (pending Senate approval).

https://davids.house.gov/media/in-the-news/us-highway-69-project-overland-park-would-get-15m-federal-funds-bill-passed-house

Federal money from a $715 billion infrastructure bill approved by the U.S. House Thursday could make the project to expand U.S. Highway 69 in Overland Park richer, if the measure survives an eventual Senate conference.

The prospective $15 million injection –plus a state match – is targeted specifically at the 167th Street interchange.

Davids had also asked for two other projects in Lenexa for improvements around the intersection of Interstates 435 and I-35, known as the Johnson County Gateway.

One was for $403 million for the confluence of those roads with K-10 and the other for $199 million for K-10 corridor expansion.

However, those projects did not end up in the bill discussed this week.

The Senate has already passed its own infrastructure bill. Now that the House bill is approved, the two versions will head for reconciliation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.