News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: BASE-BALL
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 05:13:37 AM
The Red Sox have also signed Alex Cora to a contract extension through 2027, which contradicts Rae previous narrative that this was his final season.
General Highway Talk / Re: Shortest US Highway Non-Ma...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 04:40:51 AM
I vaguely recall a road in Beloit, WI being called Spur US 51. It was supposed to connect US 51 to WI 213, which come close to each other, but don't actually connect. Is there such a road? It must be short, regardless.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Bruce - Today at 04:37:57 AM
Old-timey names are a nightmare when needing to search through archives. A distinct name helps a ton and is eye-catching, which is why we've been using them for product brands for well over a century. Only natural that the companies would later adopt that style of naming to follow suit.
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 04:34:34 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 23, 2024, 01:14:45 PMThe OKC administration already gave its approval.

Let's be honest, it would be kind of hard to come up with a project the City of Oklahoma City wouldn't give its approval to, especially if you're not asking for TIF money with it.

It would have to be something like a three hundred foot tall Satanic temple, topped by a one hundred foot tall statue of Baphomet, sporting an erection, wearing a Texas Longhorns hat and a T-shirt that says "I ♥ Proper Capitalization" and holding a sign that says "Gary England sucks", built in R1 zoning. And even that might get approved if you donate to the city council's re-election campaigns.
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 04:18:13 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 22, 2024, 09:26:48 PMThe overcrowding of the outdoors, especially certain spots that go viral on social media, is a real problem. It's caused them to be destroyed or inaccessible to those who would be more careful about intruding on nature. It will only end in more asinine restrictions and barriers for the law-abiding, rules-following visitors.

There is plenty of outdoors available with no crowding at all. There are state parks in western Oklahoma that barely have the visitation to justify keeping them open. But of course those are often based around an obscure, but perfectly adequate, lake, or a canyon, or something like the Great Salt Plains. But those don't have the NPS Seal of Approval, and they're not in a Western state, so it's not "cool" to visit them.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2024, 10:21:24 PMI'm just surprised there was an alternate take on the situation.  I never heard the variation about supposedly reaching out to DOTs and getting the old signs scrapped.  I'm wondering if this was actual cover story that I never heard or Scott being coy?

What I posted is what Jake Bear said back when this was going on. I suppose he might have been being coy, but I sort of doubt it; I would imagine in that situation he'd be apt to call a spade a spade.
Last post by kernals12 - Today at 02:44:15 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2024, 12:30:03 PMA good example of the latter situation is the endless disputes between the Hershey Company (known for making chocolate) and the completely unaffiliated Hershey Creamery Company (known for selling Hershey's Ice Cream). Both companies were founded in the same year, in the same county in Pennsylvania, by completely unrelated individuals who happened to have the same last name, "Hershey." The chocolate company immensely resents that the lesser-known ice cream company is allowed to use that name, but the latter is named for its founders.
Why don't they just merge? There are definitely synergies: Hershey's Chocolate Ice Cream.

Similarly, Dairy Queen and Burger King should marry and bring peace to the fast food realm and Whataburger should acquire the New Mexico burger chain Lotaburger and form Whatalotaburger
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:54:25 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 24, 2024, 08:51:31 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 24, 2024, 01:58:23 AMhttps://mass.streetsblog.org/2024/07/23/massdot-approves-new-route-9-highway-interchange-in-natick-at-a-price-thats-40-percent-over-budget

Massachusetts's first DDI in Natick went 40% overbudget...

"Frank Welch, MassDOT's Deputy Director of Major Projects, told MassDOT board members during its monthly meeting last week that although the agency's engineers had estimated the Natick contract would cost about $71 million this spring, the lowest-price bid that the agency received, from McCourt Construction, ended up being $99 million.

After adding additional costs that are outside the scope of the contract, including additional project engineering work, contingency funds, and traffic police, MassDOT could end up spending $118 million on the new highway interchange (pictured above in a rendering).

Last year's MassDOT capital budget budgeted just $85.4 million for the project.

Welch said that MassDOT engineers and consultants had reviewed McCourt's proposal and found the higher cost "reasonable.""

The bike lane bridge in the middle is one of the most wasteful things I've seen. I ain't using that when it's built. That could save $25M probably in getting rid of it.
It certainly represents an extra expense, but I wouldn't have any objection to using it, since it separates the bikes/peds from the vehicle traffic for a blessed minute or so.
Southeast / Re: Georgia
Last post by Georgia Guardrail - Today at 12:50:19 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 19, 2024, 04:10:06 AMhttps://ssf-gdot.hub.arcgis.com/

Some of the major projects in Georgia that have been funded:

I-75/I-16 interchange (Segment 6) in Macon
I-16 widening (Phase 1) west of I-95 (Chatham, Effingham, Bryan and Bulloch Counties)
I-75 SB C-D lanes at I-285 interchange
I-75 South Express Lanes Upgrades (Henry County)- convert the reversible express lanes to bi-directional
SR 400 North GA Extension - Phase I (Lumpkin County)- freeway extension
SR 365 Widening North of I-985 (Hall County)

Looks like the SR 400 project in Lumpkin county is not a freeway extension but rather a road widening from 2 to 4 lanes after it crosses the river.

General Highway Talk / Re: Novel lane markings?
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:42:47 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2024, 09:09:42 PMI think it's worth emphasizing that these double double yellow lines aren't just for emphasis or to "deter" people making left turns.  When I said that legally they're the same as a jersey barrier, I meant it.  As in, if a cop sees you make a left turn across one, you'll get a ticket.  This actually happened to one of my driver's ed teachers!
In this case, though, the break in the double double still leaves a single double, but you're allowed to cross it to and from the side of the highway that has the break. This seems to me the sort of thing that needs to be legally defined somewhere, and publicized so that people know the rules. Which was the point of my original question.
General Highway Talk / Re: Clinching Border Crossing ...
Last post by Konza - Today at 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 24, 2024, 05:19:06 PMBesides, what if you get off the highway at a diamond interchange because you need to get gas (or to eat, or to pee)?  Do you have to somehow figure out how to drive the section of the mainline you missed because of the interchange in order to maintain a pristine clinch?

If you get off and then get back on at the same intersection or interchange, as far as I am concerned you have clinched the segment.  Especially in the case of limited access highways, the entrance/exit ramps and frontage roads are part of the main route.  Ditto with rest areas.  If the main road was not there, the ramps, frontage roads, and rest areas would not be there, either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.