News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sign testing facility?

Started by DandyDan, January 12, 2020, 04:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

I was in my almost-original hometown of Cottage Grove, MN today. I made my way south from US 61 to the 3M plant there and after crossing the railroad tracks and making a right onto 100th Street, saw what looked like a bunch of signs and traffic lights all in a field. Is what they are doing just testing road signs? What goes into that? I thought it was weird, especially since it is in the city I used to live in and had no idea it was there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Max Rockatansky

I seem to recall ADOT did that on segments of Interstate and would sign them with "Sign testing zone."   There was also segments of pavement with various shades of lane marking paint that were usually in the same area.  I want to say that ADOT also has a sign testing yard in Phoenix where they leave a bunch of signs facing them midday sun to test fade. 

roadfro

Nevada DOT has a short frontage road (FR WA45) along the east side of I-580/US 395 in Washoe Valley at the Eastlake Blvd interchange, that has nothing on it and goes nowhere. This road has served as a testing facility for signs and striping–as you turn onto this road, it has a blue sign that says "NDOT TEST SECTION".

A while back, NDOT was doing some research on tilting the installation angle of signs downward in increments of 3° to see if it could help decrease snow accumulation. You can still see some of the test signs in recent street view from the northbound I-580 lanes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

What, are you telling me these school crossing warning signs aren't legit?

Or that all these stoplight structures aren't necessary for that parking lot?

:-D
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

In Abington, MA, there's a driving course taking the place of a former airport. Could the place in Minnesota be a place for driving tests?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

In a similar vein, a former runway at Moore AAF in Ayer, MA was used to test the toll technology for MA's All Electronic Tolling conversion, complete with gantry, markings, barriers, etc.: https://goo.gl/maps/ACe9Zm1ihdw2vRM47

The rest of the runways are used as the MA State Police driver training facility.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.