"Future AZ 24" Signs Popping Up In Mesa

Started by 404inthe404, December 31, 2013, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

404inthe404

Pretty ballsy considering they haven't selected a final alignment yet AFAIK.

I wonder if the "Future South Mountain Freeway" signs are still posted along Pecos Rd.  :rolleyes:

mapman1071

The alignment In Mesa to Meridian Road has be chosen as 1/4 mile (402 m) North of Ray Road, the route east of Meridian Road In Pinal County to US60 In Florence Jct is still in the Planning and Funding Stage.

This route should be AZ 360. 24 is odd

NE2

Looks like they say "Future State Route 24", not "Future AZ 24". /anal
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

404inthe404

Quote from: mapman1071 on January 01, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

It's as even as can be.

national highway 1

Quote from: 404inthe404 on January 01, 2014, 12:06:28 PM

It's as even as can be.
What he means is that AZ 24 is an unusually assigned number, due to most Arizona state routes usually being higher than 50.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Sonic99

The Superstition used to be AZ 360 before it was completed all the way to Apache Junction and US 60 moved from downtown Mesa
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

404inthe404

Quote from: national highway 1 on January 04, 2014, 12:31:55 AM
Quote from: 404inthe404 on January 01, 2014, 12:06:28 PM

It's as even as can be.
What he means is that AZ 24 is an unusually assigned number, due to most Arizona state routes usually being higher than 50.

Oh uh, ok. Thanks. I absolutely did not understand what he was trying so and was definitely not making a joke

Henry

Looks like they're jumping the gun there, especially if they haven't settled on an alignment yet.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

andy3175

As noted in the Phoenix Loops thread, the first segment of AZ 24 opened on May 4, 2014 (a ribbon cutting event was held on April 15):

http://arizona.newszap.com/eastvalley/131760-114/state-route-24-freeway-connection-opened-may-4-in-mesa

QuoteA 1-mile stretch between Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) and Ellsworth is open for traffic. Drivers were able to travel the Valley's newest freeway connection during the Monday morning commute May 5. The first mile of State Route 24 – the Gateway Freeway – is complete and was opened to traffic late Sunday, May 4, according to a press release from the Arizona Department of Transportation.

QuoteThe 1-mile stretch of SR 24 between Loop 202 and Ellsworth Road provides improved access to development in the region surrounding Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, according to the release. Future plans call for State Route 24 to connect with the proposed North-South transportation corridor in Pinal County.

http://arizona.newszap.com/eastvalley/131316-114/hundreds-walk-on-state-route-24-freeway-in-mesa-april-15-prior-to-its-opening

QuoteADOT and the city of Mesa hosted the 4-7 p.m. [AZ 24 freeway ribbon cutting] celebration April 15. Vehicles entered the freeway off Ellsworth Road south of Ray Road and parked on the north-side lanes, east of the Loop 202 ramp. From there, people walked or rode bicycles and skateboards up and down the south lanes of the freeway. A band provided music; canopies were set up for information from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, ADOT and Eastmark; speeches were given by dignitaries including Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, Mesa Mayor Scott Smith and ADOT Director John Halikowski; and a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held.

QuoteConstruction of the $73 million project began in March 2012. The city of Mesa accelerated the start of construction by several years through a transportation-bonding program, according to the city's website. SR24 will next head east from Ellsworth Road to Ironwood Drive south of Apache Junction and north of Queen Creek, according to ADOT's website. Additional phases of the project have been suspended until a North-South Corridor Study in Pinal County advances, according to the website.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SimMoonXP

Wondering about Exit Numbers sequence. Does it start with Exit 1 or Exit numbers comes from Loop 202?

404inthe404

Quote from: SimMoonXP on May 13, 2014, 08:47:14 PM
Wondering about Exit Numbers sequence. Does it start with Exit 1 or Exit numbers comes from Loop 202?

Probably neither. ADOT is doing this really stupid thing where they are signing their new freeway exit numbers based on distance from the border. Which explains why the loop 303 numbering makes literally no sense.

Sonic99

Quote from: 404inthe404 on August 07, 2016, 03:14:38 AM

Probably neither. ADOT is doing this really stupid thing where they are signing their new freeway exit numbers based on distance from the border. Which explains why the loop 303 numbering makes literally no sense.

I don't think they're numbering it to the border, but rather just building in a buffer because they don't know the exact mileage it will eventually reach going south. So by essentially starting at 100 at AZ 85 (the current finalized route), they have 100 miles with which to work with. I know it sounds silly, but it's honestly the best solution given that they don't know where the southern end will exactly be.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

404inthe404

Quote from: Sonic99 on August 07, 2016, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: 404inthe404 on August 07, 2016, 03:14:38 AM

I don't think they're numbering it to the border, but rather just building in a buffer because they don't know the exact mileage it will eventually reach going south. So by essentially starting at 100 at AZ 85 (the current finalized route), they have 100 miles with which to work with. I know it sounds silly, but it's honestly the best solution given that they don't know where the southern end will exactly be.

I emailed them specifically to ask about the 303 milepost numbering, and that's essentially what they told me. Unfortunately they don't answer emails directly, they refer you to an answer on their website which is auto deleted after a while, so I don't have the exact text. I assume that part is for public records stuff.

The Ghostbuster

Any updates on when additional segments of AZ 24 may be constructed?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 08, 2016, 05:18:04 PM
Any updates on when additional segments of AZ 24 may be constructed?

As of right now, no, since the rest of it is currently unfunded.  In June ADOT approved its 2017-2021 construction program, and it doesn't include SR 24, so it probably won't be built until at least 2022.

Exit58

I was taking AZ 347 to AZ 84 and noticed the final mile marker was 161. From there, its about 160 (give or take 5) miles to the border at Nogales, taking the route of AZ 84 West, I-8 East, I-10 East, and I-19 South. Leaving 160 miles of buffer room on a rural divided highway that's main purpose is serving two communities and a small suburb seems wasteful.

In either case, it makes mile markers unless in my opinion. Thanks ADOT!  :pan:

coatimundi

Quote from: Exit58 on August 26, 2016, 12:24:58 AM

I was taking AZ 347 to AZ 84 and noticed the final mile marker was 161. From there, its about 160 (give or take 5) miles to the border at Nogales, taking the route of AZ 84 West, I-8 East, I-10 East, and I-19 South. Leaving 160 miles of buffer room on a rural divided highway that's main purpose is serving two communities and a small suburb seems wasteful.

In either case, it makes mile markers unless in my opinion. Thanks ADOT!  :pan:

Agreed. They're pretty unless.

If the highway doesn't reach the border, then the distance is "as the crow flies." It's an interesting way to do it. Interesting, but maybe counter-intuitive.

Sonic99

Like I said, I don't think it's related to the mileage to the border at all. Exit 100 is Buckeye Rd, which is the furthest south that the 303 has been confirmed. Nobody knows exactly what's going to happen with I-11 or the Hassayampa Freeway that is in the long-term plans and exactly where those will end up, and in turn where the 303 will exactly end up. I think they just started at 100 at Buckeye because that's a nice, round number to start at for the confirmed route. The only way they could have handled it differently is if they started at Mile 1 at I-17, then moved North-To-South, reverse of the conventional method. The northern end has a defined end point, while the southern end doesn't, so I really don't know how else ADOT could have handled it.

coatimundi

Quote from: Sonic99 on August 26, 2016, 11:06:05 AM
Like I said, I don't think it's related to the mileage to the border at all. Exit 100 is Buckeye Rd, which is the furthest south that the 303 has been confirmed.

Go to Google Maps and use the measuring tool to check the distance from the south end of the 303 to the nearest section of border. It's 100 miles.

NE2

Quote from: coatimundi on August 26, 2016, 11:12:48 AM
Like I said, I don't think it's related to the mileage to the border at all. Exit 100 is Buckeye Rd, which is the furthest south that the 303 has been confirmed.

Go to Google Maps and use the measuring tool to check the distance from the south end of the 303 to the nearest section of border. It's 100 miles.

Coincidence.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

AZDOT state milepost system map: http://azdot.gov/docs/business/state-milepost-map.pdf?sfvrsn=0

However, the mileposts shown for 303 do not match exit numbering.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Sonic99

Quote from: kurumi on August 26, 2016, 11:39:41 AM
AZDOT state milepost system map: http://azdot.gov/docs/business/state-milepost-map.pdf?sfvrsn=0

However, the mileposts shown for 303 do not match exit numbering.

I think when it was still the original two-lane road, it followed those numbers, but when they converted it into the full freeway it is today, they changed the numbering system because of the southern extension becoming more of a reality.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone really think Loop 303 will continue for 100 miles southward? I would have made the junction with Interstate 10 mile 0, or maybe mile 0 should have been at Interstate 17, since it is not planned to go east of there.

Sonic99

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2016, 06:21:43 PM
Does anyone really think Loop 303 will continue for 100 miles southward? I would have made the junction with Interstate 10 mile 0, or maybe mile 0 should have been at Interstate 17, since it is not planned to go east of there.

They don't know exactly how far south it will go. I guess they could have used 50 instead of 100, but I think 100 is what they wanted to use at Buckeye since it's the known southern terminus. So if it doesn't go any further south, you know that 105 is 5 miles away from the end, 124 is 24 miles from the end, etc. Then if/when it does go further south, they have numbers to use going down.

As for starting 0 at I-17, that would work, but could there be rules preventing a North/South freeway from using north-to-south numbering? I know the standard is south-to-north, west-to-east, but I don't know exactly how firm those rules are.

DJStephens

Like I said, I don't think it's related to the mileage to the border at all. Exit 100 is Buckeye Rd, which is the furthest south that the 303 has been confirmed. Nobody knows exactly what's going to happen with I-11 or the Hassayampa Freeway that is in the long-term plans and exactly where those will end up, and in turn where the 303 will exactly end up. I think they just started at 100 at Buckeye because that's a nice, round number to start at for the confirmed route. The only way they could have handled it differently is if they started at Mile 1 at I-17, then moved North-To-South, reverse of the conventional method. The northern end has a defined end point, while the southern end doesn't, so I really don't know how else ADOT could have handled it.

Viewed Loop 303 / Interstate 10 stack construction earlier this week.   Falsework was supporting the west to south, and south to west flyovers.  Box Beam construction.   Appears that full freeway will continue south of I-10.  A friend I have there stated Goodyear residents in the Estrella area are gearing up to fight it's southward extension.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.