News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

Also...noted something about the Loop It! graphic.

It implies that Market St. (US 71/LA 1) would become a "boulevard" that could directly connect to I-49 at the I-220 interchange. Their original graphic actually moved the I-49/I-220 interchange east to connect directly w/ Market St.

Sorry, but that's not quite true, since the angle of which I-49 approaches I-220 (SW/NE) would not allow for any direct connection, nor would any "boulevard" connection be feasible. The only way for traffic from their to access Market St. would be I-220 east to the existing Market St. interchange.

These guys make the Teche Ridge folk look like professionals.

NE2

Quote from: NE2 on October 17, 2014, 11:25:52 PM
as long as a connection is built in the LA 3194 area.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Hearne Avenue??  Really?? Read a map, NE2....if you extended I-49 among its current trajectory south of I-220, you'd still have to double back on Hearne Ave. just to reach Market St. If you simply terminated I-49 at I-220, no connection to Hearne Ave would shorten access to Market Street. I-220 east to US 71 would remain the only feasible route.

The only other true means of keeping a connection to downtown Shreveport without building the ICC as originally planned is the idea I put forth earlier: a "hybrid" extension of I-49 using the ICC proposal as far south as Ford/Murray Sts., evolving into a one-way couplet using Allen and Pete Harris, transitioning into existing I-49 at the I-20 interchange. And you STILL would not resolve the issue of having to modify the I-49/LA 3132 interchange, or eliminating the Linwood Ave. interchange, or modifying the I-20/I-220 West/LA 3132 interchange, OR widening LA 3132 to 6 lanes from I-49 to I-20. Once again, the ICC wins as the cheaper, more direct, and most feasible alternative.

But, by all means, do continue to carry Loop It!'s and the Allendale developer's lobbying water for them.

NE2

3194, dumb shit.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2014, 02:12:01 AM
3194, dumb shit.

OK...so I forgot about Martin Luther King Drive. My bad.

But.....close, NE2, but still no cigar.

You are cutting right through a direct exit ramp from US 71 to I-220 just to build a direct connecton to I-49? Not to mention, you still force traffic wanting to access Market Street to use the MLK exit and roll underneath I-49 just to get to your US 71 access road??

Then, you sever MLK from your "access road" to Market St. and force traffic from Market to manuvoer (sp??) through your newly wacked Market/I-220 interchange just to get back to MLK Drive??

Not to mention all the weaving issues with adding new and completely unnecessary traffic movements to the Market/220 interchange?

And still with all that, nothing about 3132's issues.

You were better off sticking with I-220 to Market Street. Stop digging, please.

(And notice, too: I'm debunking your proposals without personal insults.)

NE2

Keep grasping at straws to satisfy your IYBY thirst.

bugo

Build the fucking connector and ignore the NIMBYs, Creek Turnpike style.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2014, 03:54:46 AM
Keep grasping at straws to satisfy your IYBY thirst.

At least my straws are connected to facts and common sense evidence. You just can't accept that. It's not a matter of "If you build it"; it's a matter of the most effective means of connecting two already existing corridors and serving the city of Shreveport's downtown and inner neighborhoods in the best manner.

Since we now know our positions all too well....next issue, please.

NE2

Bobby5280

That's a recipe for a major traffic clusterf**k. That interchange between LA-1 and I-220 would have to be completely re-built with a different configuration to incorporate movements between it and I-49. Not to mention the exit with I-49 would need serious work (additional ramps/lanes of longer length) to not interfere with I-49/I-220 interchange traffic.

I'm firmly with the "build the connector" crowd. Those apartment developers knew they were putting up a structure in the future freeway's ROW when they did it.

bugo

apjung

Quote from: pctech on October 23, 2014, 10:44:11 AM
I recently flew from New Orleans to Denver CO.  As the plane headed north and then turned to the north-west I could see a interstate highway that was under construction. (no vehicles in site, pavement looked new) I'm guessing that we were over the Ark-La-Tex area at that point. (really just a guess) What was I looking at? I-49? !-69? none of the above?

You could search your flight number and date on FlightAware and see the exact flight path
http://flightaware.com/live/findflight?origin=KMSY&destination=KDEN

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 16, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
The October 15, 2014 Texarkana Gazette (behind paywall) reports that the ribbon-cutting will occur at noon, November 10, at the state line ...
(above quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted it October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes and the Draft Minutes confirm that there will be a November 10 ribbon-cutting; also, the work order date for the I-220 to LA 1 section of I-49 is set for November 3:

Ribbon cutting is set for noon on November 10 at the Louisiana — Arkansas state line. Both governors are expected to attend. I‐49 North will then be open from LA 1 near Blanchard, LA to Texarkana, AR. The final two segments (J and K) are under construction with anticipated opening in Fiscal Year 2016‐2017. Dr. Wilson asked when the I‐220 to LA 1 segment would be under construction. Mr. Bruce Easterly stated the work order date is November 3 and the consultant is prepping now. Mr. Rogers stated the I‐220 to LA 1 segment is divided into three separate projects and that clearing and grubbing is occurring at the interchange at MLK. Dr. Wilson asked when that segment would open. Mr. North stated approximately three (3) years.

The Draft Minutes also seem to indicate that the I-220/ LA 3132 Alternative 5 for the Inner City Connector would be more expensive than the "new build" alternatives (I think Rogers is saying that it would be more expensive, and not an oversimplification to say that it would be more expensive; however, the wording is ambiguous) and that cost data should be available for public review in January, 2015:

Completed Stage 0 in process of Stage 1 (NEPA). Following the round of public meetings last year there was a formal request to determine what it would take to use I‐220 and LA 3132 as I‐49 loop around the city (Alternative 5). In addition, there was a request to perform an economic impact analysis on the two basic options (new build vs. I‐220/LA3132). The consulting team has been working with FHWA/DOTD to determine the needs for the Loop‐It option. Initial indications are that there is a need for additional lanes the whole direction (including the Cross Lake Bridge), there will need to be some reworking of the I‐20/I‐220/LA 3132 interchange to smooth the curve, most of LA 3132 will have to be redone and there will be significant changes to the I‐49/LA 3132 interchange. Mayor Walker asked if it would be an oversimplification to say Alternative 5 is more expensive than any of the other options. Mr. Rogers stated that is the case, the alternative is creating issues with adding lanes to the bridge and ramp configurations at I‐49 North. These issues include adding lanes and more pilings to the lake. Mayor Walker asked when official information would be available to the public. Mr. Rogers stated after the New Year there would be public meetings. Mayor Walker asked when the cost data would be available. Mr. Rogers stated early January 2015.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 27, 2014, 03:33:05 PM
The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted it October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes and the Draft Minutes confirm that there will be a November 10 ribbon-cutting
Quote from: Grzrd on November 05, 2014, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 16, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
The October 15, 2014 Texarkana Gazette (behind paywall) reports that the ribbon-cutting will occur at noon, November 10, at the state line.
Ceremony Time Change Alert!  For those thinking of attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony, this AHTD Information Release states that the ceremony is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and not noon:
WHAT: Dedication event to celebrate completion of the final section of Interstate 49 between Texarkana, AR and Shreveport, LA ....
WHEN: Monday, November 10 at 1:00 p.m.
WHERE:
The event will take place at the Arkansas-Louisiana state line on the new location of I-49. To access the event area travel I-49 north from Shreveport or I-49 south from Texarkana to the new section. A ribbon cutting will take place across the new lanes.
(bottom quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)

Here's LaDOTD's version of the announcement:

txstateends

Quote from: Grzrd on November 07, 2014, 02:12:14 PM

Here's LaDOTD's version of the announcement:

I wonder what the Bella Vista bypass state line ribbon cutting announcement will look like....  :confused:  ;-)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

dfwmapper

Quote from: txstateends on November 07, 2014, 04:24:50 PM
I wonder what the Bella Vista bypass state line ribbon cutting announcement will look like....  :confused:  ;-)
Good topic for the aaroads.com topics in 2064 thread. Thanks, Missouri :pan:.

apjung

I-49 will finally become a true Interstate highway starting on Monday!

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: apjung on November 08, 2014, 05:27:58 AM
As opposed to 2012 when Missouri opened its converted US 71? Oh - you mean actually connecting two states...

jbnv

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on November 08, 2014, 09:51:00 AM
As opposed to 2012 when Missouri opened its converted US 71? Oh - you mean actually connecting two states...

For a while, Louisiana was one of a very small number of states that had two 2dIs completely contained within its borders. (12 and 49.) Oh well, I knew that wouldn't last.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SquonkHunter

Quote from: jbnv on November 08, 2014, 09:16:30 PM
For a while, Louisiana was one of a very small number of states that had two 2dIs completely contained within its borders. (12 and 49.) Oh well, I knew that wouldn't last.

Eh, we have three. 27, 37 and 45.  ;-)

DAL764

Quote from: SquonkHunter on November 09, 2014, 12:15:43 AM

Four, don't forget I-2. Besides, at least Texas has the excuse of being pretty damn huge area-wise. Louisiana doesn't really have that excuse

SquonkHunter

Quote from: DAL764 on November 09, 2014, 05:56:52 AM

Four, don't forget I-2. Besides, at least Texas has the excuse of being pretty damn huge area-wise. Louisiana doesn't really have that excuse

Forgot about the newest one. But then I remember when we only had the one - I-45.  :rolleyes:

Brandon

Illinois used to have three as well (39, 72, 88), but we had two of them infect other states (39, 72).  I-57 barely goes into Missouri for that matter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on November 10, 2014, 04:22:20 PM
It's official : I-49 is now open at the AR/LA State Line.
(above quote from I-49 in Arkansas thread)

LaDOTD has issued a press release about the ribbon cutting that describes Gov. Jindal as the "highlight" of the grand occasion:

Today, Governor Bobby Jindal highlighted the opening of ten miles of I-49 North from U.S. 71 to Arkansas' state line.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 10, 2014, 04:30:49 PM
LaDOTD has issued a press release about the ribbon cutting

This TV video report contains footage from the ribbon cutting, including Sherri LeBas commenting on the shift of focus to I-49 South now that funding for I-49 North is complete:

... now Louisiana officials change their focus to a different part of the state.
"We have a lot of work still to do on I-49 South, which is now turning to be our priority since now we have I-49 North funded,"  said Sherri LeBas, Louisiana Secretary of Transportation.
I-49 South would run south from Lafayette and veer east, connecting to the Westbank Expressway in New Orleans.
As for a Shreveport inner city segment: it is not listed on the Louisiana Department of Transportation's website as part of the I-49 North project, however, the i-49 coalition would like to see it done.

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on November 08, 2014, 09:51:00 AM

State Treasurer John Kennedy makes a similar observation in the video:

The opening gives the roadway its name sake. according to Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy.
"Interstate means from one state to another, and I-49 has been an intrastate until today: we became an interstate," he said.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.