News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Capital Cities Ranked from Most Obvious to Most Obscure

Started by webny99, May 18, 2020, 10:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 22, 2020, 12:40:33 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2020, 12:30:21 PM
I don't see any reason a university should be in the same town as the state legislature.

I think the idea is that the only two important things in that part of the state should be in the same city, not two cities 25 miles apart.

I don't necessarily agree – there are several other examples of twin cities that aren't adjacent, such as Carson City and Reno.

If the two were related, then I guess I could agree.  But, in my opinion, it's like expecting a state's airport to be in the same town as the stockyards.  What does the one have to do with the other?  For that matter, I don't see why a university needs to be in a large city at all.  I considered going to college in a town of about 7000 population, and my daughter attends university in a town of about 4000 population.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

I wonder what would be cheaper to do, move the University to Indianapolis or move the Capitol to Bloomington?

To claim that Michigan State is the premier institution because it's right next door to Lansing would infuriate more than one Wolverine!

I'm surprised Oxford MS and Tuscaloosa AL are supposed to be the capitals of their states too.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2020, 12:56:53 PM

I don't see any reason a university should be in the same town as the state legislature.

I think the idea is that the only two important things in that part of the state should be in the same city, not two cities 25 miles apart.

I don't necessarily agree – there are several other examples of twin cities that aren't adjacent, such as Carson City and Reno.

If the two were related, then I guess I could agree.  But, in my opinion, it's like expecting a state's airport to be in the same town as the stockyards.  What does the one have to do with the other?  For that matter, I don't see why a university needs to be in a large city at all.  I considered going to college in a town of about 7000 population, and my daughter attends university in a town of about 4000 population.

It's not so much that the two are related, but that there could be certain synergies with having them nearby.  I see a university could have specialized programs catering to public service (internships and similar) because state government agency headquarters are nearby.  Also, while a capital does not necessarily need to be the biggest city in a state, it should still be a sizable place with reasonable amenities.  Service on major interstates and other transportation corridors are amenities.  Cultural institutions like museums, performing arts centers, and yes, universities are also amenities.  A capital should be geographically central and also an important town with respect to the state.

Columbia is MO's 4th largest city, and the largest city in the central part of the state.  Jefferson City is 15th. 

TheHighwayMan3561

I've always felt the U of M being in Minneapolis takes away greatly from the charm of the concept. To me Dinkytown is just another part of Minneapolis indistinguishable from any other part.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: GaryV on May 22, 2020, 01:11:22 PM
To claim that Michigan State is the premier institution because it's right next door to Lansing would infuriate more than one Wolverine Walverine!

The only people who seem to get upset are those who never went to either yet buy their UM gear at Walmart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NWI_Irish96

Having a top tier public university in your state capital ensures that you have one of the state's best hospitals in your state capital. It also gives the university access to spouses of state government employees and vice versa.  It's a really natural fit.

As for private universities and liberal arts colleges, I don't think it matters a whole lot how close to a state capital they are.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

I don't know about THE state university (capitalization intentional; more on that to follow) being in the capital city, but I think there are geographical advantages to both being somewhat near the center of the state.

Kentucky only has one major state university that purports to represent the entire state, UK. Kentucky State University is in Frankfort and has a partnership with state government, but it's a historically black college. The University of Louisville is also under state control. Frankfort draws employees from both cities, even though it's not equidistant between them. KSU is more like a regional school like EKU, WKU, Morehead and Murray.

Our setup is more like Ohio's, where the main state school (tOSU, hence my reference to "the" earlier) is in the capital and geographical center, while Ohio University is in an obscure place in a corner of the state, Athens. Similarly, in Indiana, IU is in Bloomington, not far from the capital and geographical center; while ISU is in Terre Haute and isn't as big of a school.

We aren't like Kansas, Mississippi, Iowa, Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, or other states with two main schools (University of State or State-Name University, and then State-Name State University). I'm presuming those examples are valid because both of those schools in each state are members of the big athletic conferences.

What puzzles me is those states where the state schools are in far-flung places, like Arkansas and West Virginia. Why were the schools placed in a remote area far from the state's opposite corner, instead of in a central city closer to more of the population? WVU's more natural geographical rival isn't Marshall, it's Pitt.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2020, 02:46:08 PM
Kansas

...whose two chief state universities are in neither the capital nor largest city.  I've never heard anyone suggest that's a bad thing or doesn't work well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2020, 03:19:16 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2020, 02:46:08 PM
Kansas
...whose two chief state universities are in neither the capital nor largest city.  I've never heard anyone suggest that's a bad thing or doesn't work well.

Lawrence happens to be right between the capital city and the largest metro area (not city, as I just realized... glad I double checked, as I wouldn't have wanted to insult your hometown ;-)), and is still reasonably centrally located for most of the state's population. If it was Dodge City instead of Lawrence, I think you would have plenty of people saying it's a bad thing and/or doesn't work well.

jdb1234

I'm surprised Oxford MS and Tuscaloosa AL are supposed to be the capitals of their states too.

Tuscaloosa was the capital before it was moved to Montgomery.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 22, 2020, 01:57:07 PM

Having a top tier public university in your state capital ensures that you have one of the state's best hospitals in your state capital. It also gives the university access to spouses of state government employees and vice versa.  It's a really natural fit.

As for private universities and liberal arts colleges, I don't think it matters a whole lot how close to a state capital they are.

Growing up in Madison, I am sure there are some "synergies" like you mention, but had the University or capital been elsewhere, I don't think it would have mattered much.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: mrsman on May 22, 2020, 01:16:35 PM

It's not so much that the two are related, but that there could be certain synergies with having them nearby.  I see a university could have specialized programs catering to public service (internships and similar) because state government agency headquarters are nearby.  Also, while a capital does not necessarily need to be the biggest city in a state, it should still be a sizable place with reasonable amenities.  Service on major interstates and other transportation corridors are amenities.  Cultural institutions like museums, performing arts centers, and yes, universities are also amenities.  A capital should be geographically central and also an important town with respect to the state.

Columbia is MO's 4th largest city, and the largest city in the central part of the state.  Jefferson City is 15th.

While I haven't been in Missouri very long, I can say with a good deal of certainty that Jefferson City is not very important to most residents of the state. An average Missourian could probably point to Columbia (and identify it as the home of MU) on a map quicker than to JC (and identify it as the state capitol), though I may be biased in saying this. Even in Columbia, Jeff City is not very prominent (only being of prominence to administrators and poli sci students), despite that they may be grouped together elsewhere. That said, even though they are ultimately separated by 30 miles and have distinct identities, the two cities are ultimately fairly cohesive. Both are small fry, though, compared to KC and St. Louis which dominate perceptions of Missouri both within and out of the state (by nature).

Just on a tangent, isn't the/a main university being in the capital an exception to the rule? Only four (Texas, Wisconsin, LSU, FSU) spring to mind.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

US 89

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on May 23, 2020, 02:56:50 PM
Just on a tangent, isn't the/a main university being in the capital an exception to the rule? Only four (Texas, Wisconsin, LSU, FSU) spring to mind.

Utah and South Carolina as well.

1995hoo

Quote from: US 89 on May 23, 2020, 03:21:26 PM

Hawaii
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

Quote from: US 89 on May 23, 2020, 03:21:26 PM

NC State, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Hawaii, Ohio State.

While technically not in the same city, Michigan State's campus is about 3 miles from the state capitol building and Arizona State is about 10 miles.

michravera

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 01:20:39 PM
Quote from: bing101 on May 20, 2020, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 20, 2020, 12:39:50 AM
On a navicable waterway was a factor in placing many of the capitals through the late 1800s.  You can still move a lot more goods by barge than you can by road or rail.
Vallejo and Benicia were once State Capitals for California in the 1850's over waterway navigation before Sacramento became the permanent state capital for the state in 1854.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benicia_Capitol_State_Historic_Park
Never San Francisco or Oakland?

Not under the US as a territory or state as far as I know. The Spanish, the New Spanish, and the Mexicans had capitols in other places, however (most notably Monterey).

Some confusion may result from the fact that the State Supreme Court often sits in San Francisco (and may have done so since territorial times).

Flint1979

An oddity in Michigan is that central location wins most of the time or at least center of population. But the oddity is that Lansing isn't the county seat of the county most of the city is located in. It's mostly in Ingham County who's county seat is Mason and some of Lansing dips into Eaton County who's county seat is Charlotte, in both cases they are centrally located in their respective counties.

Lansing is the only state capital out of capitals located in counties that is not also the county seat. Btw, Marshall was real close to being the capital instead of Lansing. Lansing won by like two votes.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on May 21, 2020, 09:21:20 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 20, 2020, 05:18:26 PM
Lansing is close to the center of population now but don't know about when it became the capital. The geographic center of the state is in Wexford County near Cadillac. The geographic center of the Lower Peninsula is near or in St. Louis.

1847.  Detroit was the state capital prior to that (1837-47), and the territorial capital as well.
Yeah I knew Detroit use to be the capital. That's why they have Capital Park downtown. Back then Detroit only went out to Grand Blvd. too.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2020, 01:35:44 PM
To claim that Michigan State is the premier institution because it's right next door to Lansing would infuriate more than one Wolverine Walverine!

The only people who seem to get upset are those who never went to either yet buy their UM gear at Walmart.
Glad I'm not in that club I hate Walmart and refuse to shop there.

Scott5114

Quote from: mrsman on May 22, 2020, 01:16:35 PM

While I haven't been in Missouri very long, I can say with a good deal of certainty that Jefferson City is not very important to most residents of the state. An average Missourian could probably point to Columbia (and identify it as the home of MU) on a map quicker than to JC (and identify it as the state capitol), though I may be biased in saying this. Even in Columbia, Jeff City is not very prominent (only being of prominence to administrators and poli sci students), despite that they may be grouped together elsewhere. That said, even though they are ultimately separated by 30 miles and have distinct identities, the two cities are ultimately fairly cohesive. Both are small fry, though, compared to KC and St. Louis which dominate perceptions of Missouri both within and out of the state (by nature).

When I went to college in Springfield, MO, at one point I mentioned that I should probably drive up to Jeff City and check it out sometime. My roommates, all of whom were native Missourians, looked at me as if I had taken temporary leave of my senses and wanted to know why, of all places, I'd want to go there? Columbia, they understood; one of them made a trip up to Columbia to visit friends at Mizzou at some point (and came back with a Stop sign for our dorm, somehow, an addition to the common room which I approved of, of course).

I never did make it up to Jeff City. Guess, deep down, I felt the same way about it that they did.

OU is in Norman, which is in the Oklahoma City MSA. Looking at the map, most people would consider Norman an OKC suburb, and the west half of it more or less is, but the east half has more of a college-town feel. In any case, Norman is the third-largest city in Oklahoma, so that may count against OU being more or less in "Oklahoma City, more or less." In any case, OU has their medical center in OKC, literally right down the street from the State Capitol, so it does get one of those "synergies" that was mentioned upthread.

OSU has a branch campus in OKC, but their main campus is in Stillwater. I believe their medical center is in Tulsa.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

In Spain there's no obscurity at the provincial level, as provinces tend to have the name of its capital. The few that don't, the capital is the largest city (the exception being Asturias, where Gijon is sightly larger than the capital Oviedo, but in the past it was called Province of Oviedo). Here it is more, "Why there isn't a province of Vigo?" Vigo is far larger than the provincial capital Pontevedra (295K vs 83K), however the fact it's not the capital of a province has led me to call it the largest "town" in Spain, not without controversy.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

Massachusetts does not have it's flagship university in Boston. It's in Amherst out west. There is Umass Boston but it's kinda no good.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Cambridge, in the Boston MSA, has Harvard and MIT, though, which I think are probably more well-known than UMass.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
Cambridge, in the Boston MSA, has Harvard and MIT, though, which I think are probably more well-known than UMass.

I thought the point was about state schools being with the state capital, not private schools.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on May 25, 2020, 07:03:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2020, 06:49:38 PM

I thought the point was about state schools being with the state capital, not private schools.

Is MIT not a state school? Hell, shows what I know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.