News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why does I-40 extend past Raleigh?

Started by MantyMadTown, March 19, 2019, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: orulz on April 02, 2019, 01:07:40 PM
When the Republicans took control, one of the things they did was to revise the distribution of funds. Mostly it was to make the process less political and more data-based, which in my opinion has been a good change. Perhaps counter-intuitively, this has resulted in modestly *less* money for rural freeways (who you would think would be the ones Republicans would favor) and *more* money for urban and suburban areas. But yes, there is a strong bipartisan consensus in favor of roads in NC, as evidenced by its relatively high gas tax (as compared to its neighbors.) NC's gas tax is set such that even after the rebalancing from the new prioritization process, we can still afford to keep building rural interstates as well as upgrade our urban roads.
That is a true point.

There's been a lot of newer city bypasses, urban freeways, etc. being built lately rather than rural stretches, rural upgrades to interstate standards, etc...

Though a lot are planned in the next 10-20 years. US-17, US-70, US-74, US-29, US-220, etc.

hbelkins

When the Republicans took control, one of the things they did was to revise the distribution of funds. Mostly it was to make the process less political and more data-based, which in my opinion has been a good change. Perhaps counter-intuitively, this has resulted in modestly *less* money for rural freeways (who you would think would be the ones Republicans would favor) and *more* money for urban and suburban areas. But yes, there is a strong bipartisan consensus in favor of roads in NC, as evidenced by its relatively high gas tax (as compared to its neighbors.) NC's gas tax is set such that even after the rebalancing from the new prioritization process, we can still afford to keep building rural interstates as well as upgrade our urban roads.

But does that explain the constant Charlotte vs. Triangle or Charlotte vs. Triad debates?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2019, 10:07:58 PM

But does that explain the constant Charlotte vs. Triangle or Charlotte vs. Triad debates?

Having grew up in Eastern NC, I remember when it was Everybody vs. ENC. :-D
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

QuoteThere's been a lot of newer city bypasses, urban freeways, etc. being built lately rather than rural stretches, rural upgrades to interstate standards, etc...

This is in part because, prior to the shift to a performace-based system, state law required highway construction funding to be distributed more or less evenly across NCDOT's 14 districts.  This prior system gave a distinct funding advantage to the rural districts.  The results of which can be seen most notably in the more urban districts:  tolled 540 segments, tolled 77 lanes, widening of 85 northeast of Charlotte still not finished, Greensboro beltway not finshed yet, etc etch.

CanesFan27

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 19, 2019, 05:18:42 PM
To answer the original question, essentially what was said above. It was originally an extension of the original I-40 (it had ended at I-85 outside of Greensboro) to Raleigh & I-95 at Smithfield via the US 70 corridor approved in 1968 when a wave of new interstates were being added to the system throughout the country. Requests were then made in the 1970 to build an interstate parallel to US 74 between Asheville and Wilmington, an interstate paralleling US 421 from Greensboro to Wilmington, and extending I-40 to Morehead City from the proposed Smithfield terminus. All of those proposals were rejected. In 1978, the state had switched the routing of I-40 to meet I-95 at Benson instead, and to continue to Wilmington. Construction then happened mostly through the 80s.

Here's a good article explaining all of this more in detail - http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/history/i40.html

For opening dates...

• I-40 between I-85 and the Durham Freeway opened in 1988 & 1989.
  • I-40 between the Durham Freeway and Wade Ave opened in 1971.
  • I-40 between Wade Ave and I-440 (not originally called I-440) opened in 1984
  • I-40 between I-440 and I-95 at Benson opened in phases between 1988 and 1990.
  • I-40 between I-95 and Wallace opened in phases between 1987 and 1991.
  • I-40 between Wallace and Wilmington opened in 1983.
Here's a more detailed map on the openings - https://goo.gl/X81wC8

Sorry to resurrect this thread - but the updated link for the I-40 continuation to Wilmington is now: http://www.gribblenation.org/2016/08/to-shore-north-carolinas-struggle-to.html

I had originally thought that the debate between Morehead City and Wilmington was the more intersting angle - but as it turns out the real surprise was routing it parallel to US 117 vs. US 421.  The US 117 option was more costly.

"By the Spring of 1978, it was generally known that the state's Transportation Board would make the decision to extend Interstate 40 to Wilmington when they met in Tarboro that April. (7, 10)  However, the decision was made to have Interstate 40 parallel US 117 as a new highway versus the preferred to most groups US 421 alignment.   The US 421 alignment was also considered a significantly cheaper option at $60 million from I-95 to Wilmington vs. the expected $147 million cost for the eventual US 117 alignment. (10)  The board's decision went against the recommendation from a study done by highway consultant William S. Pollard.  Pollard said that the overall decision was "a coin-flip". (10)  Supporters of the US 421 alignment were concerned that the decision to follow US 117 would delay the highway for 20 to 25 years.  (11) "

Froggie thanks for sharing the EIS link - I need to dive into it to update some information.

What also is interesting is how the state navigated through various changes in federal spending laws.  Highways have always been political in Eastern North Carolina (which if you look at the political history of the state Eastern NC has been home to many power brokers and influence in our state) and Interstate 40 - especially in the 1984 Senate and Governor races - was no exception.

tolbs17

It wanted to go to the beaches to Wilmington because it was the largest city and Greenville and Rocky Mount were sleepy towns i guess. Norfolk would have also been a great idea, but it never happened. I-40 is the best choice of going to Wilmington. They should put the Barstow sign up again and pray that it doesn't get stolen again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.