News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sinkhole collapses part of National Corvette Museum in KY -swallows 8 cars

Started by Lyon Wonder, February 12, 2014, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

A sinkhole opened at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY and collapsed part of the floor under the domed section of the museum, swallowing 8 cars with it.

Here's the 8 Corvettes that ended up in the sink hole.

1962 black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
1993 ZR-1 Spyder
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 white 1.5 Millionth Corvette
2009 ZR1 Blue Devil

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sinkhole-swallow-eight-cars-in-national-corvette-museum-in-kentucky/

Alps

Aw, not the Mallett! I don't care much about the 1 millionth Vette (someone probably counted wrong at some point), but the Mallett was a sweet ride.

.... Wait, they opened the museum AFTER the sinkhole developed, and they haven't yet brought the engineer in to assess structural damage?

What.

The.

Hep cat.

Takumi

The 1962 and the blue devil look like they can be repaired easily. The PPG is under the blue devil...
http://jalopnik.com/the-most-heartbreaking-shot-yet-of-the-corvette-museum-1521688315
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on February 12, 2014, 07:45:16 PM
Aw, not the Mallett! I don't care much about the 1 millionth Vette (someone probably counted wrong at some point)...

From what I gather, there's a tremendous amount of recorded data from the various Corvette groups out there, plus automakers typically keep good records. There's no way a GM Y-body could wind up as anything else (and it never did until the Cadillac XLR).

I don't think stuff like the "millionth car" is worth much more of a premium; it would have just its value steady while most other C4s - save Grand Sports and ZR1s - languish in collector's value.

SidS1045

GM has stepped up to help.  The GM Design branch has said they will restore the damaged cars, at no cost to the museum.  Now, they only have to figure out how to get them out of the sinkhole.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Jardine

Even retrieving the cars on top in the bottom of the hole would be tricky, how close would you want to park an expensive crane to pluck them out of the hole ?

And who volunteers to climb down in the pit an lashes them to the rigging ?

And it appears there are only 2 or 3 of the 8 even visible.  I'm thinking this is going to be quite a difficult recovery, if it is even possible.

The first cars in (assuming the floor imploded in stages) would be beneath the (concrete?) floor that subsequently fell in, what would be left of them ?

(this is just so awful)

formulanone

I just wonder if it's worth several million (an off-the-cuff estimate) just to rescue and restore a mere million dollars worth of cars...

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Jardine

I wish them the best, but it seems that is a pretty scary operation.  Is the sink hole done growing ?  If the crane winds up in the hole that would be ungood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.