News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

For states where the plates stay with the car, what happens if you request custom plates? Do you have to return the old plates?

OCGuy81

It's interesting how the plates stay with the owner in Oregon. Most new cars I see purchased get new license plates. Haven't been a lot where I see a new car with a plate transferred.

DJ Particle

Quote from: jakeroot on May 05, 2021, 08:56:40 PM
For states where the plates stay with the car, what happens if you request custom plates? Do you have to return the old plates?

Not in Minnesota.  The old plate number just gets retired.

jakeroot

Quote from: DJ Particle on May 06, 2021, 12:06:17 AM

Not in Minnesota.  The old plate number just gets retired.

Hypothetically, if you physically kept your old plates and then dumped the custom plates a few years later, there's no way to return to those old plates?

I asked specifically because I've ordered custom plates, and WA DOL did not take back my old plates. They gave me a temp tag for my rear window, and I put my old plates on my wall as decoration. But I believe I can still re-register the plate later on if I choose to.

CardInLex

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on May 05, 2021, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: kalvado on May 05, 2021, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: frankenroad on May 05, 2021, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 05:17:40 PM

The recent rule change you mention got me curious, and apologies if this has been asked on here before, but what states allow the plate to stay with the owner?

I know Ohio, Maryland, New Hampshire, Virginia, Vermont, and Massachusetts all do.

Some states I know that DON'T are Texas, Arizona, and California.

My limited knowledge outlined above has always made me assume that plates staying with car, not the owner, is a western thing.
Not sure how accurate this is, but a quick google search shows this map:

I think that's pretty close.  Every state I've lived in, save for CA, has the plate stay with the owner.  In some states, you sell the car and you just keep the plates as a souvenir because it's easier than transferring your plates to the new car (UT comes to mind).  IL and many others incentivize you to use your old plates when you trade in your car.

Kentucky is no longer accurate. I have kept my current plate for four different vehicles (May 2017, August 2020, January 2021).

Scott5114

Oklahoma requires you to maintain the registration on both the regular plate and the custom plate. Usually this is achieved by throwing the regular plate in the trunk and only digging it out when you have a new sticker to stick on it. So, before the rules changed, were you to sell the car, I guess you would just put the regular plate back on before you sold it and then cancel the custom plate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 05:34:07 PM

Oklahoma requires you to maintain the registration on both the regular plate and the custom plate. Usually this is achieved by throwing the regular plate in the trunk and only digging it out when you have a new sticker to stick on it. So, before the rules changed, were you to sell the car, I guess you would just put the regular plate back on before you sold it and then cancel the custom plate.

CHA-CHING $$

Scott5114

Well, yeah. When you have a constitution that requires 51 votes in the legislature to cut taxes and 75 votes to raise them, the executive branch gets...creative when it comes to ways to raise money. Monkeying around with license plates is one of them. Another instance of such is the time the governor ordered a general replating, not because there was anything wrong with the plates, but in order to charge a replating fee to plug a hole in the budget.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
Well, yeah. When you have a constitution that requires 51 votes in the legislature to cut taxes and 75 votes to raise them, the executive branch gets...creative when it comes to ways to raise money. Monkeying around with license plates is one of them. Another instance of such is the time the governor ordered a general replating, not because there was anything wrong with the plates, but in order to charge a replating fee to plug a hole in the budget.

I've learned to never underestimate the government's ability to put funds in the public coffers.

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
New York has tried that a couple times in the past decade or so, but both times have been defeated by public opposition.  It doesn't help that the plate design after the first attempt was viewed by most people in the state as ugly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

route56

When I first bought a vehicle that was titled in my name, it was in the last year of a 5-year cycle for vanity plates. So, for the first few months of owning the car, I had a regular plate on it. When the opportunity came to get vanity plates, I selected "ROUTE56." I ordered them and paid the vanity plate fee in April. I did have to turn in my general-issue plates when I picked up my new plates alongside my renewal in June/July.

I'm on the fourth iteration of my "ROUTE56" vanity plate.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

kphoger

Quote from: route56 on May 03, 2021, 11:55:54 AM
Saw two "paper" license tags on my commute this morning, one with the last three characters "NZZ", the other with the last three characters "PAN". So, it appears that Kansas is avoiding "I" and "O" on general-issue license plates

Since reading this post, I've been paying close attention to Kansas license plate serial numbers–you know, reading license plates instead of watching the road, putting the lives of my family members and the general motoring public in jeopardy for the sake of an insignificant conversation on an internet forum and all.   :D

Anyway, here are my observations.  This is far from scientific or based on actual research, but it's been my experience over the past two weeks.

1.  I've seen far fewer of the letter I and O than one might expect.  The total number of such license plates was probably around five or six.  Besides those that I saw during the period, I also know both my parents' cars have license plates with an I in the serial number.

2.  Kansas switched from embossed to flat plates partway through the ###-Lxx series in 2018.  I saw no instances of the letter I or O on any flat plate, even though probably half of the plates I saw were flat plates.  This suggests that I and O may have been dropped from the serial number pool at some point before then.

3.  I saw no instance of any ###-Ixx or ###-Oxx license plate.  Considering the large number of ###-Hxx and ###-Jxx plates I see every day, this further suggests that I and O may have been dropped from the pool before the end of the ###-Hxx series.

4.  Most interesting but probably least convincing is that the highest serial number I saw containing an I or an O was ###-EVI.  Perhaps they exist, but I did not see any ###-Fxx serial number or higher containing an I or an O.  If my experience is indicative, then those letters may have been dropped as early as 2014.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 03:36:29 PM
1.  I've seen far fewer of the letter I and O than one might expect.  The total number of such license plates was probably around five or six.  Besides those that I saw during the period, I also know both my parents' cars have license plates with an I in the serial number.

2.  Kansas switched from embossed to flat plates partway through the ###-Lxx series in 2018.  I saw no instances of the letter I or O on any flat plate, even though probably half of the plates I saw were flat plates.  This suggests that I and O may have been dropped from the serial number pool at some point before then.

3.  I saw no instance of any ###-Ixx or ###-Oxx license plate.  Considering the large number of ###-Hxx and ###-Jxx plates I see every day, this further suggests that I and O may have been dropped from the pool before the end of the ###-Hxx series.

4.  Most interesting but probably least convincing is that the highest serial number I saw containing an I or an O was ###-EVI.  Perhaps they exist, but I did not see any ###-Fxx serial number or higher containing an I or an O.  If my experience is indicative, then those letters may have been dropped as early as 2014.

Wisconsin also does not use the letters I, O and Q in any regular issue plate number, although they are certainly available for use in personalized plates.  Also no leading zeros in regular issue plate numbers, WisDOT uses 1001 though 9999.

Mike

kphoger

I saw probably four I/O license plates on my way to work this morning.  Still all of them were before ###-EVI.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

Saw two "paper" license tags on my commute this morning, one with the last three characters "NZZ", the other with the last three characters "PAN". So, it appears that Kansas is avoiding "I" and "O" on general-issue license plates

Since reading this post, I've been paying close attention to Kansas license plate serial numbers–you know, reading license plates instead of watching the road, putting the lives of my family members and the general motoring public in jeopardy for the sake of an insignificant conversation on an internet forum and all.   :D

It may be that Kansas only use I and O in certain positions.  That is what Ohio does.  I and O will only show up in the middle position of a three-letter prefix.   Very few states use I or O as a leading letter, even if it is used elsewhere in the plate.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: frankenroad on May 19, 2021, 02:13:26 PM

It may be that Kansas only use I and O in certain positions.

That wasn't true before 2007.

I've seen I and O in both the second and third position in the Axx—Exx range, but I haven't seen any I or O anywhere in the Fxx—current range.
Male pronouns, please.

route56

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 02:25:04 PM
I've seen I and O in both the second and third position in the Axx—Exx range, but I haven't seen any I or O anywhere in the Fxx—current range.

I think I've seen a "FFI," but I haven't seen any "I" or "O" on any regular-issue Kansas plate. (Needless to say, those vowels are needed on personalized plates)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

kphoger

Quote from: route56 on May 19, 2021, 02:44:43 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 02:25:04 PM

I think I've seen a "FFI," but I haven't seen any "I" or "O" on any regular-issue Kansas plate. (Needless to say, those vowels are needed on personalized plates)

Yeah, FFI wouldn't be all that long after EVI, which I've seen.  It wouldn't surprise me.  But it does seem apparent that, sometime around then, they dropped those two letters from the pool.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

You know, you could just send an email to whatever agency issues license plates and ask them when they did it. :P

kphoger

no way, that would be so nerdy
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: KWCH 12 News – 27-NOV-2018
Kansas recalls 731 license plates over ethnic slur complaint

Kansas is recalling hundreds of vehicle license plates on the streets containing the "JAP" lettering in the wake of complaints that they are offensive to Japanese Americans.

The Kansas Department of Revenue said there are 731 active registrations containing that random letter combination on standard license plates. Vehicle owners were sent a letter dated Tuesday asking them to return the plate to their county vehicle office within 30 days for replacement at no cost.

The issue arose last year when a motorist spotted a car with the Kansas plate in traffic near his home in Culver City, California, and took a photo of it. A Kansas woman of Japanese heritage contacted the state after seeing the picture and story in the newspaper put out by the Japanese American Citizens League.

Interestingly, I just saw a Kansas ###-JAP license plate on a car while driving home from work today.   :hmmm:
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 05:05:29 PM

Implying that meticulously keeping track of the presence of license plates containing "I" and "O" and correlating them with their place in the numbering sequence to narrow down the date of the change is somehow the less nerdy solution.....

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 19, 2021, 06:24:19 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 05:05:29 PM

Implying that meticulously keeping track of the presence of license plates containing "I" and "O" and correlating them with their place in the numbering sequence to narrow down the date of the change is somehow the less nerdy solution.....

I'm glad you understand.  I knew you would.
Male pronouns, please.

machias

I *think* Arizona has switched back to 7-alphanumeric over the past two weeks or so. I'm seeing a lot of temporary plates with seven digits.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: machias on May 22, 2021, 10:32:48 AM
I *think* Arizona has switched back to 7-alphanumeric over the past two weeks or so. I'm seeing a lot of temporary plates with seven digits.
I feel like Arizona "fixed" something that wasn't broken, in terms of their standard plates. The ABC1234 series could have gone on for awhile, before switching to completely random stuff. For now, ALL new plates that aren't personalized are pretty random mix of 6 characters (or 7 characters)

SM-G975U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.