News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Flashing Yellow Arrow signals coming to Nevada

Started by roadfro, March 03, 2010, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

The 2009 MUTCD has adopted Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA) displays as the main method for signalized left turns. Now, it would appear NDOT and various public works agencies in Nevada are adopting this change on a widespread basis.

http://www.nevadadot.com/safety/improvements/TurnSignal.asp (explanatory video/brochure)

As far as I'm aware, there are currently only two FYA installations in the entire state, both in Carson City. These are the Fairview Drive (Temporary US 395/US 50) intersections with Roop Street and Saliman Road.

With budget issues the way they are right now, I don't expect to see much in the way of mass replacements. It seems more likely that new signal installs and planned upgrades to existing signals will get FYA's first, with other signals coming along much later.

---

FYA displays, as adopted by the MUTCD, had originated in Reno and saw some widespread use. There did not appear to be any installations remaining by the time I moved to Reno in August 2001 for college.

---

The animated PowerPoint I put together illustrating some of the differences between current protected/permitted left turn displays and FYAs can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPKjcPI5Sko
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

AZDude

There is one here in Phoenix on 68th street and McDowel Road.  It used to be a protected left but was converted to the flashing yellow arrow.  At first I thought what the f*** is this?!

Bickendan

NE 28th and Sandy Blvd in Portland. It took a couple passes through the intersection to appreciate the signal. That said, it STILL has a signal phase cycle that's contrary to the rest of the city :x

roadfro

Is that Portland, Oregon?

Oregon was one of the early adopters of FYA signals. As I understand, some of the cities there and maybe Oregon DOT were among the first to request official experimentation of the concept from FHWA.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Personally, I think it confuses drivers who are unfamiliar with the FYA.  There's nothing wrong with the solid green (or the flashing green arrow in Canada).

[Removed unnecessary coloring. -S.]
Take the road less traveled.

roadfro

Without going into detail already discussed in a previous thread in the General section, suffice it to say that one of the reasons FYA was developed was because there is a great deal of ambiguity regarding permitted lefts and circular greens. Flashing green is not used in the United States (at least, not in any official capacity as far as FHWA is concerned).

SignBridge

Flashing yellow arrows will not replace green arrows. They will be used in place of the green ball to indicate that a left turn can be made after yielding to opposing traffic.

Re: flashing green lights. They are used in Massachusetts to indicate a pedestrian-activated crosswalk signal. It is not MUTCD approved, but Massachusetts has a long history of doing things their own way regardless of national standards.

Bickendan

^Yank their funding! They will comply! CalTrans will submi-- oh.

Roadfro: Yep, Portland Oregon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.