News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpjedge

Ontario doesn't understand the difference between US routes and NY state routes:

https://www.google.ca/maps?ll=44.755857,-75.479679&spn=0.000008,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=44.75586,-75.479651&panoid=tyBKZwbKeHK00NuDRkeqQQ&cbp=12,231.54,,2,2.19

US Route 37 did exist at one point, but ran in Kentucky and Tennessee.  And was replaced with US 31E in 1952.

Also, a minor quibble, but even if this was corrected to NY 37, it still wouldn't be 100% accurate.  Technically, upon crossing the border, you're on NY 812, and only run into NY 37 0.6 miles after the customs plaza.

getemngo

US 37 loves to make its way into states where it never existed. (Is it... haunting them!?) Here it is in Michigan:

(courtesy Barry Camp)
~ Sam from Michigan

vtk

I'm pretty sure there have been US 37 markers in Ohio too
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Quote from: gpjedge on April 05, 2014, 04:58:01 PM
Ontario doesn't understand the difference between US routes and NY state routes:

https://www.google.ca/maps?ll=44.755857,-75.479679&spn=0.000008,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=44.75586,-75.479651&panoid=tyBKZwbKeHK00NuDRkeqQQ&cbp=12,231.54,,2,2.19

US Route 37 did exist at one point, but ran entirely within Kentucky.  And was replaced with US 31E in 1952.

Actually, it was in Tennessee as well, and ran along what is now KY 90 and US 127.

Unless it's been replaced, there's a US 37 sign on I-81 southbound where there should be a VA 37 marker. I've photographed it at least twice.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

gpjedge

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2014, 08:19:50 PM
Quote from: gpjedge on April 05, 2014, 04:58:01 PM

US Route 37 did exist at one point, but ran entirely within Kentucky.  And was replaced with US 31E in 1952.

Actually, it was in Tennessee as well, and ran along what is now KY 90 and US 127.

Unless it's been replaced, there's a US 37 sign on I-81 southbound where there should be a VA 37 marker. I've photographed it at least twice.

Fixed that.  Thanks.

Curious.  I suppose 37 is a common enough state route number, and replacing it with a currently nonexistent (and thus non-conflicting) US route is a fairly easy mistake for some contractors to make.

Or maybe getemngo is right, and US 37 is haunting various states, angry for being decommissioned to be replaced with a fairly minor suffixed highway (which it had been created to avoid in the first place)... :-o

EDIT: Found the offending sign in Virginia: http://goo.gl/maps/uHJfy

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: vtk on April 05, 2014, 05:31:42 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been US 37 markers in Ohio too

Yes, travelling west on US-36/OH37 in Delaware, on that billboard-like structure just before the underpass.  There were others also, but it's been a few years, and may be corrected.

vtk

This button copy sign [street view link] has apparently been replaced recently.  The replacement has an OH 71 shield.  It can be seen from the freeway if you're looking at the right moment.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JMoses24

Quote from: vtk on April 13, 2014, 09:16:01 AM
This button copy sign [street view link] has apparently been replaced recently.  The replacement has an OH 71 shield.  It can be seen from the freeway if you're looking at the right moment.

This is right under my nose and I didn't know about it.

Scott5114

On US-77 in Guthrie, OK.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2014, 10:49:15 PM

On US-77 in Guthrie, OK.

It looks like they didn't even get Oklahoma's outline correct either! (Or is that a new design in Oklahoma?)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Scott5114

Nah, that's pretty much a standard outline. The number 77 just obscures an unusually large percentage of the Red River. Good thing there's no actual SH-77...

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bobby5280

ODOT has been playing around with that state shape design for years. They've been varying the thickness of the outline and how much detail goes into it (like all the bends and stuff along the Red River portion of the border). Honestly, the design just doesn't work very well. The Oklahoma state shape is not a very design friendly element.

That bold stroke on the state shape looks like their "version 2.0" design. The first markers of that kind had a thinner stroke. Now ODOT is on at least their 3rd or 4th variant of that design. I've seen OK-7 markers here in Lawton change at least 3 times, including that really bold version.

hbelkins

I don't think there is a great deal of aesthetic or functional difference between Oklahoma's "meat cleaver" marker and Florida's. For both state markers, the numbers have to overlap part of the state outline.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bobby5280

There is a big difference in how Florida does it versus Oklahoma. At least Florida is able to preserve the East coast and keys bend of the FL peninsula as well as the top edge of the FL panhandle. It's not difficult to make a 2 or 3 digit marker work within that. The state shape sill translates even when the numerals are eating into the Gulf Coast side of the state shape. Plus, the markers are consistent looking. All of the numerals eat out the Gulf Coast side of the shape.

The OK state shape on its route markers does not work nearly so well. IMHO, ODOT should have taken an approach as a combination of what Idaho and Tennessee use. The meat cleaver shape should have been a lot smaller. It still would have been legible. Throw the "Oklahoma" letters across it to use up negative space. Tennessee does something like that, even though they put it on the bottom of the marker.

jbnv

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 25, 2014, 01:10:45 AM
IMHO, ODOT should have taken an approach as a combination of what Idaho and Tennessee use. The meat cleaver shape should have been a lot smaller. It still would have been legible. Throw the "Oklahoma" letters across it to use up negative space.

Perhaps something like this?

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Bobby5280

I was thinking of something more along the lines of this:

I think this approach looks more balanced than what ODOT is using with the OK state route markers. I designed this using a 24" guide marker approach. The border and state shape is .625" thick and set .375" from the edge, which is standard for a lot of other guide signs. The numerals are 10" Series D. The Oklahoma letters are 2.5" tall. The letters are there for decoration, so I don't think it's necessary for them to be set in Series C or D. I chose Eurostile Bold because the squared letter forms match the square nature of the route marker and their letter strokes look uniform with the border and state shape.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 25, 2014, 11:39:19 AM
I was thinking of something more along the lines of this:

IMG
I think this approach looks more balanced than what ODOT is using with the OK state route markers. I designed this using a 24" guide marker approach. The border and state shape is .625" thick and set .375" from the edge, which is standard for a lot of other guide signs. The numerals are 10" Series D. The Oklahoma letters are 2.5" tall. The letters are there for decoration, so I don't think it's necessary for them to be set in Series C or D. I chose Eurostile Bold because the squared letter forms match the square nature of the route marker and their letter strokes look uniform with the border and state shape.

I'd put that in the Redesigning State Highway Shields thread as well.

Bobby5280

Thanks. I didn't know about that thread. I'll read through it.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 25, 2014, 03:05:25 PM
Thanks. I didn't know about that thread. I'll read through it.

No worries my friend. I'm still learning about threads I didn't know existed. And yeah, I've read that you're a graphic designer. You will like that thread A LOT.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.969371,-74.914571,3a,15y,67.62h,86.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUcCQ9nPEev_vyXifgTTTMA!2e0
Not exactly erroneous, but worth posting.  Using all uppercase lettering, but the green out (actually green in lol) is mixed case is not your normal.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2014, 12:33:03 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.969371,-74.914571,3a,15y,67.62h,86.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUcCQ9nPEev_vyXifgTTTMA!2e0
Not exactly erroneous, but worth posting.  Using all uppercase lettering, but the green out (actually green in lol) is mixed case is not your normal.

Looks like the sign designer forgot to turn bold off when making that sign. That actually makes it pretty hard to read...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadgeek Adam

You go north on Passaic County Route 659, you see this:

You turn right onto CR 654, you find this...

Nice job Passaic County, you might want to fix that.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 09, 2014, 10:11:25 PM
You go north on Passaic County Route 659, you see this:

Passaic County 654

You turn right onto CR 654, you find this...

Passaic County 659

Nice job Passaic County, you might want to fix that.

Must be a game to them.

roadfro

And what is that no parking sign font???
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.