News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

OKDOT Agency News

Started by Plutonic Panda, April 30, 2017, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: MCRoads on November 01, 2017, 10:11:39 AM
this probably isn't relevant but i didn't now where else to put this...

I called ODOT to see if they would be willing to give me a traffic drum, and... they don't have any? either that, or they didn't know where they were... i called traffic engineering, got transferred to administration, got transferred to a different person in traffic engineering, got transferred to maintenance, who gave me the OKC maintenance annex, who told me to call a contractor. Is this normal ODOT behavior? I feel like I just called the white house and tried to talk to Donald Trump... All i want is a TRAFFIC DRUM!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtraffic+drum.TRS0&_nkw=traffic+drum&_sacat=0
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Plutonic Panda

I expected this to be a slower year than usual due to budget cuts, but damn they have only had like one or two projects announced in the hearings and meeting page this year. Is this the slowest year OkDOT has ever had in terms of announcing new projects? Sure looks like it!

Plutonic Panda

The new 8yr plan will likely adopted on the 11 at the commission meeting. Will be interested to see if anything new is added or if in fact some things will be pushed back and removed.

Plutonic Panda

http://journalrecord.com/2019/01/02/odot-not-seeking-funding-increase-from-lawmakers/

Apparently OkDOT won't be asking for any sort of budget increase this legislative season. I don't know entirely how I feel about that. OkDOT needs more than double its current budget to really make any large scale impact in Oklahoma.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 03, 2019, 06:15:06 PM
http://journalrecord.com/2019/01/02/odot-not-seeking-funding-increase-from-lawmakers/

Apparently OkDOT won't be asking for any sort of budget increase this legislative season. I don't know entirely how I feel about that. OkDOT needs more than double its current budget to really make any large scale impact in Oklahoma.

I believe Patterson is focusing his efforts on ensuring the Legislature doesn't divert any more transportation dollars to General Revenue where it can be appropriated to other agencies. If you read the recent ODOT press releases, that has been their #1 point of emphasis.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

It was a miracle they got their funding restored to minimal levels where they were able to bring back some projects to the 8 yr plan they had to remove a couple years ago.

Plutonic Panda

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 27, 2019, 02:43:47 PM
Tim Gatz will be the new transportation secretary. Mr. Patterson steps down on April 1st.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/stitt-taps-gatz-as-transportation-secretary/article_a6e288fb-2c63-59cb-b8ae-399bcef08282.amp.html

That was expected every since they brought him back from OTA a few years ago. Having worked with him 20+ years ago, I believe he will be a positive force going forward.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Scott5114

Patterson will remain head of ODOT, which is a separate position, for whatever reason.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2019, 03:10:38 PM
Patterson will remain head of ODOT, which is a separate position, for whatever reason.

I didn't check, bu I expect so he can server until he hits State retirement eligibility. It's public record but I'm too lazy to look it up.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

I am not really sure what the distinction between transportation secretary and head of ODOT really is. Some people have held both positions at once, with two (Neal McCaleb and Gary Ridley) adding head of OTA to complete the trifecta. My suspicion, based on the fact that Fallin (R) retained Ridley from Henry (D), is that head of ODOT/OTA is a more technical position, while Secretary of Transportation is more political.

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 04, 2019, 05:18:50 AM
I am not really sure what the distinction between transportation secretary and head of ODOT really is. Some people have held both positions at once, with two (Neal McCaleb and Gary Ridley) adding head of OTA to complete the trifecta. My suspicion, based on the fact that Fallin (R) retained Ridley from Henry (D), is that head of ODOT/OTA is a more technical position, while Secretary of Transportation is more political.

That is correct.  Kevin Stitt is not happy with that and will try to get more control over the hiring and firing of agency heads. His State of the State speech is today. 

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Yeah, making even more state government jobs political in nature (and prone to people being hired/fired every 4 years) should work out really really great.
:-/

Scott5114

I mean, it's pretty obvious that agency heads should be able to be fired if there's a need for it. Say, if a major incident occurred and it could be shown that the agency caused it through negligence. But I agree that making it a political patronage position would be silly. At that point, you can just merge the position into the Secretary of Transportation and lose nothing.

rte66man

The Governor appoints the members of the Transportation Commission (Title 69-302.b). They serve 8 year terms.  The Commission selects the Director (Title 69-303.b.2). So unless a Governor gets re-elected, he will have to work with members appointed by the previous Administration.  There have been instances where a change in party has prompted resignations, but it is not required.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

The February Transportation Commission meeting (11 a.m. on 2/11) has the following item:

ITEM TO BE PRESENTED BY GENERAL COUNSEL — Mr. Hill
25. Executive Session Discussion of Appointment and Salary of ODOT Director
   a) Vote on Executive Session
   b) Vote to End Executive Session
   c) Motion to appoint the Director of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation effective April 1, 2019,
       and set his salary

Not sure if this is pro forma or whether they will announce a new Director.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Looks like OkDOT and OTA(Oklahoma Turnpike Authority) could be merged. I would welcome this. I hope Stitt also works to allow OkDOT to take out loans for road construction which is currently banned.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5653341/stitt-aims-to-merge-department-of-transportation-turnpike-authority

Bobby5280

I have pretty mixed feelings about the idea. In the article one of the motives for this dept merger is mentioned: using turnpike revenue to fund other non-turnpike highway projects in rural parts of the state. That's a good recipe for toll hikes. Currently the tolls on Oklahoma's turnpikes are somewhat of a bargain when compared to the toll rates in other states around the nation. The rates won't remain that way if turnpike revenue is seen as an alternative to raising fuel taxes. Oklahoma's recent fuel tax hike (the first in over 25 years) was re-directed to fund teacher pay. It's unlikely we'll see another fuel tax hike any time soon. Turnpike toll hikes would make up for that. People who live way out in the sticks wouldn't feel any of the financial "pain" of those toll hikes. The "liberal city slickers" would be footing more of the bill since they use the turnpikes more often.

As it stands, Oklahoma's rural areas are shedding population. Younger people are moving away in increasing numbers and the older people who remain behind are, well, getting older and older. Recent court rulings on both legal and illegal immigration will make it even harder for ag businesses in rural areas to hire either American-born or migrant labor for their operations. If the population and youth demographic declines can't be reversed the state is going to have an ever more difficult time justifying spending a lot of money on roads in those areas.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 27, 2020, 11:45:01 AM
Looks like OkDOT and OTA(Oklahoma Turnpike Authority) could be merged. I would welcome this. I hope Stitt also works to allow OkDOT to take out loans for road construction which is currently banned.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5653341/stitt-aims-to-merge-department-of-transportation-turnpike-authority

Various administrations have tried this in the past. There are valid reasons for it to be separate and vice versa. The main reason they are separate is so OTA can go into debt. The OK Constitution prohibits the State from going into debt (the so-called balanced budget article). Various court rulings over the years have carved out exemptions for agencies that don't use any State appropriated funds. Unless things have recently changed, ODOT gets appropriated funds. Maybe not from General Revenue, but from other funding allocated by the Legislature.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on January 28, 2020, 12:45:34 PM

Various administrations have tried this in the past. There are valid reasons for it to be separate and vice versa. The main reason they are separate is so OTA can go into debt. The OK Constitution prohibits the State from going into debt (the so-called balanced budget article). Various court rulings over the years have carved out exemptions for agencies that don't use any State appropriated funds. Unless things have recently changed, ODOT gets appropriated funds. Maybe not from General Revenue, but from other funding allocated by the Legislature.
The constitution needs to be amended. OkDOT is the only or one of the very few agencies that can not take out debt for road projects.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 28, 2020, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: rte66man on January 28, 2020, 12:45:34 PM

The constitution needs to be amended. OkDOT is the only or one of the very few agencies that can not take out debt for road projects.

<sarcasm>FLASH!! Hell freezes over! Film at 11</sarcasm>

The Legislature will NEVER give up their leverage to get pet projects in their districts. They would have to pass enabling legislation in order for an amendment on the ballot. If by some miracle that were to pass, the public doesn't trust anyone in government to spend money wisely. It would never get enough votes to pass.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Stitt also said he'd like to see a situation where revenue from the turnpikes helps the state build and maintain other roads and highways, especially in rural parts of Oklahoma.

The only turnpikes that pay for themselves are the I-44 turnpikes. None of rest of them even break even. Those turnpikes subsidize the other turnpikes. And our genius governor thinks I-44 tolls can pay for the rest of the roads and even build some new ones where nobody lives? He's managing to be worse than his predecessor. Between this and picking a fight with the local tribes for no reason, he's managing to lower the bar.

Bobby5280

Correction: only the Turner Turnpike and Will Rogers Turnpike turn a profit. The H.E. Bailey Turnpike (also I-44) doesn't turn a profit.

I don't know how profitable (or not) the urban turnpikes in OKC or Tulsa may be.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: bugo on February 12, 2020, 08:15:07 AM

Stitt also said he'd like to see a situation where revenue from the turnpikes helps the state build and maintain other roads and highways, especially in rural parts of Oklahoma.

The only turnpikes that pay for themselves are the I-44 turnpikes. None of rest of them even break even. Those turnpikes subsidize the other turnpikes. And our genius governor thinks I-44 tolls can pay for the rest of the roads and even build some new ones where nobody lives? He's managing to be worse than his predecessor. Between this and picking a fight with the local tribes for no reason, he's managing to lower the bar.
Well I think he has handled this situation with the tribes wrong but I also think they need to pay a bit more. They do a lot and are amazing folks but we need more revenue for the state and one of those ways is to bring gaming fees in line with other states.

Regarding I-44 yes I've seen that argument but there is a cost reward benefit with everything and I think doing away with all toll roads in the state except for the Indian nation and the urban turnpikes would have a great benefit on statewide travel and commerce. I would be more than satisfied if we just removed tolls on I-44.

Transportation funding needs to be raised regardless. If Oklahoma wants to be a top ten state then the citizens have to pay more taxes. There is no way around that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.