News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Dear AHTD (overlap signage in Arkansas)

Started by bugo, January 15, 2014, 10:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to this question: why are state routes rarely signed on their duplexes with US highways and why are US and state highways almost never posted on Interstates?  Yeah, yeah, I know that Arkansas uses sections and only rarely do these sections actually overlap.  Arkansas used to be very good at co-signing duplexed highways, up until the '90s.  Don't give me "Dothan" as an excuse either.  I recently visited Mena, and heading west on AR 8 at the junction with US 59-71, there is no signage confirming that AR 8 turns left and there are no AR 8 or 88 trailblazers along US 71 like there used to be.  If you're trying to follow AR 8 or AR 88 through Mena by following signage alone, you're going to get lost.  Instead of "Take AR 8 from Norman to Rocky" you now have to say "Take AR 8 to US 59-71 to AR 8".  It's confusing and frankly quite stupid and an embarrassment to the state.  The state highway department needs to make navigation around the state easier, not harder.  Another thing that annoys me is the relatively new practice of putting "TO" banners above one of the highways in the duplex.  An example is the AR 27-28 duplex near Rover.  This is ridiculous, and a waste of signs to boot.

This is what the signage in Mena looked like a few years back.  Is this confusing to you?  Is AHTD (the organization, not the poster) saying that Arkansans are too dumb to understand that 3 or 4 or more routes can be piggybacked on the same road?  That is quite insulting if that is the case.

hotdogPi

Now, some states do it at the other extreme. Like New Hampshire, which always signs "JCT" for the routes you're on (plus the actual one being junctioned). At least you can tell which route you're on, but it's not a junction if you're on it!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bugo

Heading northbound on US 59-270 in Spiro, OK, there is a sign assembly that says JCT US 59/271/OK 9, when the sign should just say "JCT OK 9".  This is overkill, but is preferable to not signing quarter mile overlaps.  Oklahoma is very good at signing piggybacks, at least in the Tulsa district.  Not so good in the OKC office, as OK 66 is not signed in OKC very often if at all.

US71

Quote from: bugo on January 15, 2014, 10:29:15 PM
Heading northbound on US 59-270 in Spiro, OK, there is a sign assembly that says JCT US 59/271/OK 9, when the sign should just say "JCT OK 9".  This is overkill, but is preferable to not signing quarter mile overlaps.  Oklahoma is very good at signing piggybacks, at least in the Tulsa district.  Not so good in the OKC office, as OK 66 is not signed in OKC very often if at all.

Colorado doesn't co-sign at all along Interstate Highways.

Mississippi is a hodge-podge.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

AHTD... Why is this? 

If I'm traveling on US 62 from Eureka Springs towards I-540 (Future I-49)... And I want to follow US 62 into Oklahoma... Where are the signs?  And why are they sporadic?  It's very random with state highways... Why can't there be a standard?  And not based by visiting Dothan, Alabama.

bugo

Quote from: M86 on January 18, 2014, 01:58:09 AM
AHTD... Why is this? 

If I'm traveling on US 62 from Eureka Springs towards I-540 (Future I-49)... And I want to follow US 62 into Oklahoma... Where are the signs?  And why are they sporadic?  It's very random with state highways... Why can't there be a standard?  And not based by visiting Dothan, Alabama.

What if you're trying to go from, say, Dumas to Harrison?  Both towns are on US 65, but to follow the signed route you must take US 65 to I-530 to I-30 to I-40 to US 65, when it would be much simpler to just take US 65.  Either AHTD is lazy, cheap, or full of contempt for motorists. 

NE2

Quote from: bugo on January 18, 2014, 03:04:59 PM
What if you're trying to go from, say, Dumas to Harrison?  Both towns are on US 65, but to follow the signed route you must take US 65 to I-530 to I-30 to I-40 to US 65, when it would be much simpler to just take US 65.  Either AHTD is lazy, cheap, or full of contempt for motorists. 
Bad example, because US 65 is signed where necessary:

(It's also an argument for moving U.S. Routes onto parallel Interstates wherever possible.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

There's a highway in west central Arkansas (I think it's AR 41) that has a 1/4 mile gap in it where it has a hidden duplex with another highway.  How hard would it be to place a few extra signs up so you can follow the highway?

cjk374

Quote from: bugo on January 18, 2014, 03:15:12 PM
There's a highway in west central Arkansas (I think it's AR 41) that has a 1/4 mile gap in it where it has a hidden duplex with another highway.  How hard would it be to place a few extra signs up so you can follow the highway?

Exactly....but they made darn sure to put up all the signage needed to sign one of the most useless overlaps in this area:  US 63 from El Dorado to Jct. City, so that it could continue into Louisiana (a dead horse that has taken plenty of beatings here).

But then no signage is applied so that someone can follow it from I-55 to where ever it becomes its own "independent" highway again?  :no:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Surprisingly enough, US 59, duplexed with either US 71 or US 270 the entire way, is fully signed in Arkansas.

US71

Quote from: bugo on January 20, 2014, 03:47:34 AM
Surprisingly enough, US 59, duplexed with either US 71 or US 270 the entire way, is fully signed in Arkansas.

Also along State Line Rd where 59 has been gone from for a number of years.
--

What's silly to me is US 64 is still posted along US 65B in Conway, except it's TO West (East) 64.  The TO seems a bit redundant and a waste of resources since 64 is already posted.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 22, 2014, 01:43:39 AM
Quote from: bugo on January 20, 2014, 03:47:34 AM

Also along State Line Rd where 59 has been gone from for a number of years.
--

What's silly to me is US 64 is still posted along US 65B in Conway, except it's TO West (East) 64.  The TO seems a bit redundant and a waste of resources since 64 is already posted.

Are you joking? 

US71

I'll be down there this weekend, so I'll try to get a few photos

UPDATE

I found an overlap for 71/59 in Texarkana on NB Stateline Rd at 8th St

59 hasn't been through here since at least 1980.

M86

In Rogers, I've seen a few instances where AHTD did sign multiplexes/conjoining routes... Just east of the worst intersection in Benton County (US 62/Hudson, and N 8th Street/who knows what state highway it is), there is an assembly that lists US 62/AR 94/AR 12.  I don't think we've figured out AR 12 alignment yet.

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 23, 2014, 03:56:58 AM
In Rogers, I've seen a few instances where AHTD did sign multiplexes/conjoining routes... Just east of the worst intersection in Benton County (US 62/Hudson, and N 8th Street/who knows what state highway it is), there is an assembly that lists US 62/AR 94/AR 12.  I don't think we've figured out AR 12 alignment yet.

Well, if you follow only the free standing signs, it follows Bus 71 from Rainbow Curve to 8th St in Rogers, then north on 8th (AR 94)  to Hudson Rd (Hwy 62) then east to 2nd St, south on 2nd to Locust, then east on Locust towards Beaver Lake.

If you believe the exit signs on 540,  12 jumps on the interstate at 71B, off on Hudson (US 62) , east to Second, etc.

Maybe it's a trick to keep trucks off 71B ?  :hmmm:

M86

Quote from: US71 on January 23, 2014, 10:08:37 AM
Quote from: M86 on January 23, 2014, 03:56:58 AM

Well, if you follow only the free standing signs, it follows Bus 71 from Rainbow Curve to 8th St in Rogers, then north on 8th (AR 94)  to Hudson Rd (Hwy 62) then east to 2nd St, south on 2nd to Locust, then east on Locust towards Beaver Lake.

If you believe the exit signs on 540,  12 jumps on the interstate at 71B, off on Hudson (US 62) , east to Second, etc.

Maybe it's a trick to keep trucks off 71B ?  :hmmm:

In my opinion, Arkansas State Routes are useless in urban areas, especially NWA.   The purpose of a route is to follow it.  If you tried to follow AR 72 or AR 12 in Bentonville/Rogers, you would be driving for days, because of signage, since AHTD can't get that whole signage thing right.

It'd be best to just get rid of state routes in urban areas, and simplify it.

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 25, 2014, 03:49:16 AM

In my opinion, Arkansas State Routes are useless in urban areas, especially NWA.   The purpose of a route is to follow it.  If you tried to follow AR 72 or AR 12 in Bentonville/Rogers, you would be driving for days, because of signage, since AHTD can't get that whole signage thing right.

IMO, 72 is worse than 12 because WB, it simply "ends" at the US 71 Freeway.   EB, I think it's (at least) trailblazed along 71B and 102.  I need to get back up that way and verify one of these days.

Of course, there's also the intersection of 8th & Walnut in Rogers where 12 shifts north along 94, but the sign on the light pole says something like "Scenic 12 (straight) "

M86

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

IMO, 72 is worse than 12 because WB, it simply "ends" at the US 71 Freeway.   EB, I think it's (at least) trailblazed along 71B and 102.  I need to get back up that way and verify one of these days.

Of course, there's also the intersection of 8th & Walnut in Rogers where 12 shifts north along 94, but the sign on the light pole says something like "Scenic 12 (straight) "

AR 72 and 12 are just lost State Routes.  It's a huge mess.  The city of Rogers has random "Scenic 12" signage.
And it sucks, because AR 12 leads to Prairie Creek & Hobbs State Area, and Beaver Lake. 

Good luck following AR 12 to anything.

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on January 22, 2014, 03:40:31 PM

UPDATE

U.S. Highway 59 does run concurrently with U.S. Highway 71 from Texarkana to Acorn and then with U.S. Highway 270 into Oklahoma.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on January 28, 2014, 11:20:21 AM

UPDATE

U.S. Highway 59 does run concurrently with U.S. Highway 71 from Texarkana to Acorn and then with U.S. Highway 270 into Oklahoma.

59 runs with 71 from I-30 at Texarkana up to Acorn. But my photo is at US 67/US 82 where 59 used to be before TxDOT built the 59 Freeway. I suppose if it was posted as 71, TO 59 it would still be valid.

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 28, 2014, 11:40:07 AM

UPDATE

59 runs with 71 from I-30 at Texarkana up to Acorn. But my photo is at US 67/US 82 where 59 used to be before TxDOT built the 59 Freeway. I suppose if it was posted as 71, TO 59 it would still be valid.
Dear AHTD:
Please don't fix this. Roadgeeks love errors, and this isn't a bad one because it DOES lead to US 59 North straight ahead.

Dear AHTD:
If you do fix this, please send me the shield. I'll pay more than you can get for scrap, and I'll cover shipping.

NE2

Dear AHTD:
Fix it by moving the US 59 down and adding a TO plate.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:35:02 PM

Dear AHTD:
Please don't fix this. Roadgeeks love errors, and this isn't a bad one because it DOES lead to US 59 North straight ahead.

Dear AHTD:
If you do fix this, please send me the shield. I'll pay more than you can get for scrap, and I'll cover shipping.

If memory serves correct, the sign would likely be "recycled": the old decal (is that what you call them? I know they are basically heat treated stick-ons) is stripped off and a new one put in its place.

AHTD

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:35:02 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 28, 2014, 11:40:07 AM

UPDATE

Dear AHTD:

Dear AHTD:

Ha! Ha! We'll see if we can get the purchase of this "error" into our next bid letting,
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

yakra

Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
Dear AHTD:
Fix it by moving the US 59 down and adding a TO plate.
Seconded.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.