News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dear AHTD (overlap signage in Arkansas)

Started by bugo, January 15, 2014, 10:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: yakra on January 31, 2014, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
Dear AHTD:
Fix it by moving the US 59 down and adding a TO plate.
Seconded.

At least you're not Texas: they posted SOUTH 59 with NORTH 71
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Greybear

I hate to break it to you, but if you look closely. The signage is Texas, but it's standing IN Arkansas.

US71

Quote from: Greybear on January 31, 2014, 02:40:06 PM
I hate to break it to you, but if you look closely. The signage is Texas, but it's standing IN Arkansas.

Yes, I said Texas posted the signs ;)

I've never seen AHTD mis-post a direction. Post the wrong shield (like AR 59 for US 59), sure, but never mis-posting a direction (to my knowledge). ;)

codyg1985

Those also appear to be the larger shields that the TxDOT Atlanta District likes to use.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

AHTD

Okay, have to ask....

How can you tell these are Texas route markers?
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 01, 2014, 09:33:16 PM
Okay, have to ask....

Based on my examination:

(1) Oversized (a rarity in Arkansas)
(2) Slightly different US shield shape (Arkansas predominantly uses 1960's style, these are 1970's design
(3) the 59 appears to be Series D numbers (Arkansas predominantly uses Series B or Series C)
(4) The I-30 Shield: Arkansas still puts the state name on most of their Interstate Shields, but Texas does not and uses proportionally larger numbers.
(5) Round signposts (Arkansas uses silver colored square posts a lot).

Also, all the traffic signals at this junction are Texas-style Horizontal signals which leads me to believe this Interchange is likely maintained by TxDOT. It's also a Texas-style Interchange, with the ramps connecting to the Service/Outer Roads.

bjrush

Many of us have self-awarded PhDs in sign-ology

Has Arkansas ever considered signing interstates using emergency reference markers like Missouri?

Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 02, 2014, 12:06:02 PM

Has Arkansas ever considered signing interstates using emergency reference markers like Missouri?

MoDOT also does their expressways with them

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on February 02, 2014, 12:55:43 AM
Okay, have to ask....

Based on my examination:

(2) Slightly different US shield shape (Arkansas predominantly uses 1960's style, these are 1970's design
(3) the 59 appears to be Series D numbers (Arkansas predominantly uses Series B or Series C)
(4) The I-30 Shield: Arkansas still puts the state name on most of their Interstate Shields, but Texas does not and uses proportionally larger the numbers.

Also, all the traffic signals at this junction are Texas-style Horizontal signals which leads me to believe this Interchange is likely maintained by TxDOT. It's also a Texas-style Interchange, with the ramps connecting to the Service/Outer Roads.

IMPRESSIVE!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 02, 2014, 10:29:50 PM
Okay, have to ask....

Based on my examination:

(4) The I-30 Shield: Arkansas still puts the state name on most of their Interstate Shields, but Texas does not and uses proportionally larger the numbers.

IMPRESSIVE!

Thank you.

bugo

Okay, have to ask....

Based on my examination:

IMPRESSIVE!

Not really.  It's actually quite simple.

M86

Quote from: US71 on February 02, 2014, 03:08:34 PM

MoDOT has a lot of little things that really aid motorists, both local and non-local.
It's often those little things that really improve a transportation system.

cjk374

Quote from: M86 on February 03, 2014, 04:08:52 AM

MoDOT has a lot of little things that really aid motorists, both local and non-local.

When did MO start using mileposts on non-interstates?  It's been almost 15 years since I drove up there regularly, and I don't remember seeing those.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on February 03, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

When did MO start using mileposts on non-interstates?  It's been almost 15 years since I drove up there regularly, and I don't remember seeing those.

71 In Kansas City has had them for years (ususlly blue). I'm guessing maybe within the last 5 years for everything else..

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2014, 09:49:38 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on February 03, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

71 In Kansas City has had them for years (ususlly blue). I'm guessing maybe within the last 5 years for everything else..
The U.S. 169 Broadway Expressway north of downtown Kansas City had them prior to 2008 (the last year I visited KC on business). Its miles did not correspond to a route that had just entered Missouri; they were in the 100s.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

NJDOT has just added them, with shields, to I-80 between MP 43-46 (I-287 to I-280), on the outsides of the frontage roads. New MUTCD-compliant markers without shields have been added to the western few miles of I-280. If NJDOT can do it, anyone can!

bugo

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 03, 2014, 10:56:53 AM
The U.S. 169 Broadway Expressway north of downtown Kansas City had them prior to 2008 (the last year I visited KC on business). Its miles did not correspond to a route that had just entered Missouri; they were in the 100s.

Yeah, what's up with those mile numbers?

US71

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 03, 2014, 10:56:53 AM

Which way did the numbers increase? Could it have been measuring from the north? AR 59 north of Van Buren measures "backwards"

bugo

Scott5114

They may have just started mileage at 100 to avoid it having mile 2 in downtown Kansas City like everything else under the sun.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Okay, have to ask....

Based on my examination:

IMPRESSIVE!

You are missing one more detail:  Arkansas uses '58 spec interstate shields still with small modifications (36" X 36" route markers and using the more royal blue color for the blue field rather than the original more navy matching the US flag) rather than the '70 spec seen in the picture.  You can tell by the narrower lines outlining the shield and separating the red and blue fields. 

On another note AHTD:  I was recently in Little Rock and noticed the I-30 shields on just the south side of Little Rock were '70 spec shields with no state name.  I was under the impression that the state standard was the 58' spec.  Do you know the answer to this?

M86

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 24, 2014, 11:57:19 PM
You are missing one more detail:  Arkansas uses '58 spec interstate shields still with small modifications (36" X 36" route markers and using the more royal blue color for the blue field rather than the original more navy matching the US flag) rather than the '70 spec seen in the picture.  You can tell by the narrower lines outlining the shield and separating the red and blue fields. 

On another note AHTD:  I was recently in Little Rock and noticed the I-30 shields on just the south side of Little Rock were '70 spec shields with no state name.  I was under the impression that the state standard was the 58' spec.  Do you know the answer to this?

I don't think AHTD has a set standard.

http://goo.gl/maps/caCBH

And I think that white directional banner has been changed out.  I was half-asleep when I drove by it the other day.

Then you have this monstrosity:  http://goo.gl/maps/CtVU9

AHTD needs to work on signing standards... and fixing some of the policies regarding cosigning.

US71

Quote from: M86 on March 25, 2014, 12:35:08 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 24, 2014, 11:57:19 PM

I don't think AHTD has a set standard.

http://goo.gl/maps/caCBH

And I think that white directional banner has been changed out.  I was half-asleep when I drove by it the other day.

Then you have this monstrosity:  http://goo.gl/maps/CtVU9

AHTD needs to work on signing standards... and fixing some of the policies regarding cosigning.

I think the "monstrosity" is a smaller version of this:

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on January 20, 2014, 03:47:34 AM
Surprisingly enough, US 59, duplexed with either US 71 or US 270 the entire way, is fully signed in Arkansas.

Just a small side note: when US59 joins US71 in Acorn 59 is actually signed with a state shield.

iPhone

bugo

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 22, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

Quote from: bugo on January 20, 2014, 03:47:34 AM
Surprisingly enough, US 59, duplexed with either US 71 or US 270 the entire way, is fully signed in Arkansas.

Just a small side note: when US59 joins US71 in Acorn 59 is actually signed with a state shield.

That's only been there a year or so.  Don't tell AHTD (shhhhhhhh).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.