Interstate designation for the Fulbright Expressway in Fayetteville (AHTD)

Started by bugo, July 04, 2014, 05:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Since the new flyover has been built at the junction of the Fulbright Expressway and US 71B (the junction of US 71B and...US 71B) and it is now a full interchange, why not apply for an interstate spur designation for the Fulbright?  It would make a dandy I-149.  It would clear things up, as currently the US 71B goes in all three directions from the interchange.  It has an interchange between I-54...er 49 and 71B.  As far as I know it's up to interstate standards.  Why not at least ask AASHTO?  They've basically become a rubber stamp organization so they would probably approve it.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 04, 2014, 05:57:39 AM
Since the new flyover has been built at the junction of the Fulbright Expressway and US 71B (the junction of US 71B and...US 71B) and it is now a full interchange, why not apply for an interstate spur designation for the Fulbright?  It would make a dandy I-149.  It would clear things up, as currently the US 71B goes in all three directions from the interchange.  It has an interchange between I-54...er 49 and 71B.  As far as I know it's up to interstate standards.  Why not at least ask AASHTO?  They've basically become a rubber stamp organization so they would probably approve it.

At one time, that section was 471 Spur (though not posted), so it would not surprise me if it's (unsigned) 71 Spur.  Maybe we could make it 49 Spur?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

I guess I don't see the benefit to designating it I-149, also there are really two sections that could get that designation. Which do you give it to?

I-49 Business would be interesting. But Arkansas doesn't seem big on Business Interstate designations for whatever reason.

Maybe they should just revert US 71B to US 71 since it disappears anyway
Woo Pig Sooie

english si

Quote from: bjrush on July 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PMalso there are really two sections that could get that designation. Which do you give it to?
Presumably the northern one that isn't part of US71...

I was going to say that it would be good to use for making a US421 bypass of Springdale, but a look on OSM that's planned to go round the north side.

Arkansastravelguy

I don't see why it couldn't be I-149. It's listed as 71B on the AHTD county map. I agree with making 71B just 71 but I think AASHTO considers in a "downgrade" and wouldn't approve it. The southern part is actually US71

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 04, 2014, 02:47:36 PM
I don't see why it couldn't be I-149. It's listed as 71B on the AHTD county map. I agree with making 71B just 71 but I think AASHTO considers in a "downgrade" and wouldn't approve it. The southern part is actually US71

iPhone

Or make Alma to Bentonville 471 as was originally planned and send 71 up the expressway. Then bring back 471S.

Arkansastravelguy

I like 71 through the mountains the way it is, even for pure nostalgic reasons.

iPhone

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 04, 2014, 10:55:14 AM

At one time, that section was 471 Spur (though not posted), so it would not surprise me if it's (unsigned) 71 Spur.  Maybe we could make it 49 Spur?

It's US 71, section 17B which means it is US 71B.  Section 17B also runs north into Springdale from the College/Fulbright interchange.  Section 16B runs from US 71 at the south side of Fayetteville and ends at the College/Fulbright interchange.

bjrush

Quote from: english si on July 04, 2014, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: bjrush on July 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PMalso there are really two sections that could get that designation. Which do you give it to?

I was going to say that it would be good to use for making a US421 bypass of Springdale, but a look on OSM that's planned to go round the north side.

Yeah US 412 bypass is basically going through southern Lowell

Actually who knows how many generations will go by before that bypass is built. It won't even do anything IMO
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bjrush on July 04, 2014, 07:34:53 PM

Actually who knows how many generations will go by before that bypass is built. It won't even do anything IMO
I'm hearing ADHD is going to start on 412 bypass at the end of this year from 49 to 112 but it's hearsay. I'm not sure if it's so they can start the airport spur or not.

iPhone

bugo

bjrush

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 04, 2014, 10:05:33 PM

Quote from: bjrush on July 04, 2014, 07:34:53 PM

I'm hearing ADHD is going to start on 412 bypass at the end of this year from 49 to 112 but it's hearsay. I'm not sure if it's so they can start the airport spur or not.

iPhone

I believe that is still the plan, with estimated completion in late 2018
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

M86

The Interstate designation wouldn't do much good, really... And the mis-signed exit isn't up to Interstate standards

When I was younger, and before I lived here, I thought the Fayetteville "Bypass" was constructed in order to complete a loop around Fayetteville... I was wrong.  Loved Rand McNally! :)

I remember reading a Reader's Digest article that listed US 71 as one of the most dangerous highways in America... Ahhh, my childhood!

I'm not sure what to do with the Fulbright, and that area.  The signs along the Fulbright are substandard. 

With the amount of traffic and the number of lanes, I don't know why they didn't do overhead structures, with the new "flyover".  Cheap, cheap, cheap.

bugo

Quote from: M86 on July 05, 2014, 03:54:39 AM
The Interstate designation wouldn't do much good, really

It would clear up the confusion of the US 71B/US 71B interchange and it would give NWA another interstate route to brag about.

And the mis-signed exit isn't up to Interstate standards

How is it not up to interstate standards?  I've seen far worse.

I remember reading a Reader's Digest article that listed US 71 as one of the most dangerous highways in America... Ahhh, my childhood!

I remember reading that article.  It was infamous around western Arkansas at the time and got a lot of media attention.

US71

Quote from: M86 on July 05, 2014, 03:54:39 AM
The Interstate designation wouldn't do much good, really... And the mis-signed exit isn't up to Interstate standards

When I was younger, and before I lived here, I thought the Fayetteville "Bypass" was constructed in order to complete a loop around Fayetteville... I was wrong.  Loved Rand McNally! :)

I'm not sure what to do with the Fulbright, and that area.  The signs along the Fulbright are substandard. 

With the amount of traffic and the number of lanes, I don't know why they didn't do overhead structures, with the new "flyover".  Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Mis-signed Exit: you mean Gregg St (as opposed to Gregg Ave). It's been called Gregg St for as long as I remember (or Johnson Rd).

The "flyover" isn't perfect. It needs a dedicated lane just for using it. Instead it just forks off the left lane, while traffic backs up trying to get into the left lane.  It's better than nothing, I suppose, but I wish it had been built when the original 71 Bypass was built.

71 down the mountain can still be treacherous if you're not careful, but moving most of the truck traffic to the expressway, makes it less so.

bjrush

That's what you get when you let a global firm do a project in Fayetteville, AR

They give it to the intern so the real engineers can work on projects in Manhattan
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

I think I-149 would be beneficial. How do you get to the mall? Or better yet the hospital? Take 149. Car wreck on Fulbright? Where do you say you are? It's not signed at all. I don't think it's even signed Fulbright anywhere. Just "To 49". It needs to be named/numbered/signed something.

iPhone

Avalanchez71

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Avalanchez71

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
Pull a SC, use either CONN US 71 or BUS SPUR I-49.
CONN 71 would confuse people. 71Spur would work, or a new designation: a Business-Spur, so we'd have 71BS :p

Avalanchez71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 06, 2014, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
Pull a SC, use either CONN US 71 or BUS SPUR I-49.

What's CONN?  I haven't heard of that one.
Connector.  It is used heavily for state routes in GA and it also used for US routes in SC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.