News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Forgotten" parts of your state

Started by STLmapboy, June 23, 2020, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2020, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: Eth on July 29, 2020, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2020, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2020, 03:43:15 PM
So Gainesville counts as forgotten?
For me it does, definitely.
I doubt most Floridians would agree, though, particularly given that it's the home of the state's flagship university.

My best guess would be everything north of I-10, excluding the Jacksonville area.

North of I-10? That doesn't leave very much. Maybe north of Gainesville (excluding Jacksonville), so you're at least including the entire panhandle.
Um, the St. Johns River between here and there would want a word on that.

hbelkins

For West Virginia, two general areas.

First is everything south of I-64 and west of the Turnpike/I-77. Excepting the counties through which Corridor L (US 119) travels, and even then areas off the four-lane in those counties don't really count, the area is a wasteland. Until West Virginia gets serious about building US 52 and US 121, it's going to stay that way.

Then, there are the non-river counties south of the Mason-Dixon line, and north and west of I-79. Despite all the fracking activity in this area, the towns are small and the roads are horrible. Not even Corridor D (US 50) has done anything for the communities along it, except for Ellenboro, which has picked up some highway businesses. And then I'd throw in the isolated Monroe and Webster counties.

The eastern panhandle probably thinks it's forgotten, given its distance and isolation from Charleston, but I've seen a lot more development and improvements there than in places like Lincoln, Wyoming and McDowell counties.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 30, 2020, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2020, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: Eth on July 29, 2020, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2020, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2020, 03:43:15 PM
So Gainesville counts as forgotten?
For me it does, definitely.
I doubt most Floridians would agree, though, particularly given that it's the home of the state's flagship university.

My best guess would be everything north of I-10, excluding the Jacksonville area.

North of I-10? That doesn't leave very much. Maybe north of Gainesville (excluding Jacksonville), so you're at least including the entire panhandle.
Um, the St. Johns River between here and there would want a word on that.

Rivers can talk?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MikieTimT

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 27, 2020, 10:38:42 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 27, 2020, 10:30:25 PM
A few years ago I drove in that area to explore I-49 and find the LA-TX-AR tri-point. That part of NW LA is scenic and actually surprisingly hilly.
Isn't that part of the Ozarks there?

Wrong tri-point.  You're thinking of AR/MO-43/OK-20 at the NW corner of AR/SW corner of MO/E OK.

kevinb1994

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 31, 2020, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 27, 2020, 10:38:42 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 27, 2020, 10:30:25 PM
A few years ago I drove in that area to explore I-49 and find the LA-TX-AR tri-point. That part of NW LA is scenic and actually surprisingly hilly.
Isn't that part of the Ozarks there?

Wrong tri-point.  You're thinking of AR/MO-43/OK-20 at the NW corner of AR/SW corner of MO/E OK.
Then what's the name of the hills over in the OP?

Scott5114

If anything, it'd be the southern part of the Ouachitas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kevinb1994

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2020, 03:38:29 PM
If anything, it'd be the southern part of the Ouachitas.
Hmm...I'm not at all familiar with that range.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 29, 2020, 03:39:22 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 29, 2020, 11:51:42 AM
For WI I'd say the area south of La Crosse, west of Reedsburg, and north of Prairie du Chien. The rolling topography makes it so that there can't really be any large towns in that area - Viroqua and Richland Center are the only places of any size at all. And there's no real reason for any regional travelers to drive through there - US-14/61 is the only road of note, and even that one passes through so many tiny little towns. It's a lot quicker to take I-90.

I was also thinking the area north of WIS 29 between US 53 and US 41.

"North of 29" is also a term used in Wisconsin by Cheeseheads themselves to mention how they don't really pay Madison much heed up north, and act as if they're a different state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2020, 08:36:53 AM
Most of Louisiana is pretty much forgotten north of I-10. I learned at a young age that many people think that once you cross into Louisiana ANYWHERE, all houses are built on stilts in a swamp surrounded by alligators...and that the entire population of the state is cajun.

If you need an easy reference: History Channel's "Swamp People" is pretty much US 190 south. A&E's "Duck Dynasty" is US 190 north.

The delta region is sparsely populated. Many areas north of Alexandria & south of I-20 is mostly pine forests (most of Kisatchie NF is here).

I hosted a meet in Shreveport/Caddo Parish 2 years ago. Some of the attendees had no idea that Shreveport was an "actual city". So maybe this shows that all of Louisiana is forgotten? 😁😁🤣🤣🤣

Then you get people who mix up the Delta (east of Monroe, facing Mississippi) with the Mississippi River Delta (downriver from New Orleans).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on July 31, 2020, 04:23:31 PM
For WI I'd say the area south of La Crosse, west of Reedsburg, and north of Prairie du Chien. The rolling topography makes it so that there can't really be any large towns in that area - Viroqua and Richland Center are the only places of any size at all. And there's no real reason for any regional travelers to drive through there - US-14/61 is the only road of note, and even that one passes through so many tiny little towns. It's a lot quicker to take I-90.

"North of 29" is also a term used in Wisconsin by Cheeseheads themselves to mention how they don't really pay Madison much heed up north, and act as if they're a different state.
Does Superior, WI, feel more like Minnesota?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 31, 2020, 08:55:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 31, 2020, 04:23:31 PM

Does Superior, WI, feel more like Minnesota?

Not really. They're Wisconsinites, invested in Wisconsin issues and root for Wisconsin sports teams (especially the Packers, but you'll find some Twins fans around).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

I lived in Superior.  They take a lot of pride in being the "ugly sister" of the Twin Ports.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Nevada has forgotten areas such as Tonopah, Ely,

Basically if you exclude the Las Vegas area, Reno, Carson City and Lake Tahoe then the Majority of Nevada would be forgotten area.

In Hawaii the Islands of Kawai, Ni'Hau, Molokai and Kaho'olawe are forgotten due to most of Hawaii's Population is located on 3 islands such as Big Island, Oahu and Maui.

TravelingBethelite

For Texas, I'd say it was the roughly square area between Lubbock, El Paso, Del Rio, and San Angelo. Then again, considering the sparseness of the population and aridness/featurelessness of the land, it may be deserved.

In reality, it's the area east of I-45/Dallas (and to a lesser extent, the area between the Red River and I-30, east of I-35) and northeast of Houston. Its swampiness and heavily-forested nature lead to it often being lumped in with Louisiana in the national consciousness. In addition, it fails to meet the common stereotype of Texas for those same reasons, which is more similar in nature to the part of west Texas I described first.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.