News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

U.S 59

Started by BigMattFromTexas, June 08, 2009, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Any driven on this highway?
I have well I rode on it (I can't drive yet :) ). What ive riden on i thought the road was pretty good
Yalls opinions?

travelinmiles

It's a long road....what stretch are you talking about. I have done 59 from Corpus Christi to Lufkin.

BigMattFromTexas

Only a little bit
Nacogdoches to Lufkin

Greybear

I've driven the stretch from Carthage to Houston.

Sykotyk

I've driven stretches in Texas, including from Houston toward Texarkana. Also, some parts southwest of Houston.

Sykotyk

Darkchylde

Sugar Land to the North Loop in Houston.

Nice freeway, except that part between the West Loop and IH 10.

jgb191

Quote from: travelinmiles on June 08, 2009, 06:09:26 PM
I have done 59 from Corpus Christi to Lufkin.

I have to correct you, US 59 doesn't go to Corpus Christi, it comes within 60 miles at its I-37 interchange.

I have done Laredo to Houston and back on US 59.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

US71

I've driven it from Lufkin, TX to NE Oklahoma and parts of Missouri (not all at once, though ;) )
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lamsalfl

US 59 needs a lot of work southwest of Sugar Land.  Missing shoulders in some places, narrow bridges, necessary resurfacings, etc. will be needed to upgrade this to Interstate standards.

corco

I've been on it from Avoca, Iowa to Atchison, Kansas. It's kind of a neat alternative to I-29- the road is pretty poorly maintained through the parts of Missouri where it's not used for through traffic anymore, but it's fairly scenic. I especially enjoy the rolling hills between Shenandoah IA and Tarkio MO. It's a fun drive from Avoca to Savannah MO, then it feels like it takes forever to get through St. Joe, then it's fairly boring from St. Joe to Atchsion.

burgess87

Texarkana - Victoria.

Greg66bluehwy

I have driven from Houston to Marshall.

Revive 755

I've driven quite a bit of it in Missouri north of St. Joesph - can't remember if I've done all of it or if there is one small gap I missed.   Makes a nice alternative to I-29 when one has the time.  

I found it interesting that most of it north of St. Joesph was posted at 60 mph, given the lower quality of the alignment.

I've also ridden as a passenger on the Oklahoma section - main things I remember are the start of the Cherokee Turnpike and it seems there were many detours in towns on that trip where railroad crossings on US 59 were being worked on.

UptownRoadGeek

I've driven it from the North Loop to Grand Parkway in Sugar Land. One of the nicest freeways I've ever seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.