News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Jimmie Davis Bridge Replacement is funded again (LA 511)

Started by bwana39, June 14, 2021, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

After a start to repaint the old bridge
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11885.msg290956#msg290956

and a stop. (Endangered birds roosting on the bridge)

Then an underfunded decision to build an adjacent span and turn the existing bridge into a pedestrian bridge.

It looks like another try is on the books.

https://710keel.com/100-million-for-new-jimmie-davis-bridge-passes-in-louisiana/
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

bwana39

cjk374

A 54 year old bridge is "historic"? Older bridges are torn down & replaced every day.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Rothman

Quote from: cjk374 on April 03, 2022, 10:15:28 AM
A 54 year old bridge is "historic"? Older bridges are torn down & replaced every day.
50 years is the federal threshold for federally funded projects.

This means 1950s era bridges are now needing to go through the review process.

Each state has their own separate processes and thresholds as well (in NY, it's SHPO).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Quote from: bwana39 on March 28, 2022, 12:40:07 PM

It is not particularly historic. It is a truss bridge. That said....  cannot get an EIS to tear it down or even paint it.

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on April 04, 2022, 08:23:25 AM

It is not particularly historic. It is a truss bridge. That said....  cannot get an EIS to tear it down or even paint it.
Historic and cultural resources are part of the NEPA/EIS process.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2022, 09:04:15 AM

Historic and cultural resources are covered by Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966; which provides for protocols and procedures for any actions or displacements of properties or entities that qualify as a historic or cultural resource. It's a separate and independent entity as part of the full NEPA process.

The Jimmie Davis Bridge is considered a historical resource on its own (declared so by the NHRP); so any revisions or replacements would have to follow strict 106 protocols for historic preservation. Leaving the bridge as is and converting it to pedestrian/bicycle use while building a parallel vehicle bridge would probably be best in meeting those standards.

bwana39

I don't think it is on the National Register of Historic Places. I may be wrong.

LADOTD and the NWLCOG have decided to replace the bridge instead of recondition. Due to endangered birds nesting on bridge it will be preserved in place.

The endangered birds were, at least 5 or 6 years ago, the ONLY impediment to reconditioning it (primarily paint).
The decision to replace it was made AFTER they couldn't get a clean EIS to recondition it.

Rothman

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 04, 2022, 07:06:38 PM

Historic and cultural resources are covered by Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966; which provides for protocols and procedures for any actions or displacements of properties or entities that qualify as a historic or cultural resource. It's a separate and independent entity as part of the full NEPA process.

I suppose that's technically true, but in practice, as projects progress to design approval, NEPA is not considered complete until section 106 is resolved.

bwana39

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2022, 09:41:37 PM

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 04, 2022, 07:06:38 PM

I suppose that's technically true, but in practice, as projects progress to design approval, NEPA is not considered complete until section 106 is resolved.

This bridge would have inevitably passed the historic part. There is little history to it. 
I think former Shreveport Mayor Cedrick Glover has it in a nutshell....https://k945.com/shreveport-rep-says-jimmie-davis-bridge-park-plan-is-waste-of-money/

Anthony_JK

I see why Mayor Glover is opposed to having the locals pay the maintenance costs of retaining the old JDB as a ped/bicyclist walkway while building an entirely new 4-lane span nearby. Why not just append the walkway to the new span...wouldn't that be cheaper?

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 05, 2022, 07:35:49 PM
I see why Mayor Glover is opposed to having the locals pay the maintenance costs of retaining the old JDB as a ped/bicyclist walkway while building an entirely new 4-lane span nearby. Why not just append the walkway to the new span...wouldn't that be cheaper?

I think everyone would agree but the fans of the barn swallows. It appears that as long as there are swallows on the bridge ESPECIALLY during nesting season, no one can touch it.  It makes demolition iffy or at least more expensive.

Leaving it in place solves that and for DOTD, it also means no expense for demolition. It leaves the people of Shreveport Bossier with costs around 1/3 of the cost of the replacement bridge.

bwana39

bwana39

Apparently, there was only one company who was going to bid so they pulled the letting and are going to rebid the bridge.

https://www.ksla.com/2022/10/06/dotd-secretary-says-jimmie-davis-bridge-project-going-back-square-one/

bwana39

Plutonic Panda

As I was trying to find out what the proposed plans are for this project for the first time, I found myself on the Louisiana Department of transportation"˜s website and oh man what a joke that is. Literally Projects that are listed to be completed in 2013 are still on there. We're in 2023. How hard is it to just dedicate a small team of people every month or so to update the websites?

And I thought the Oklahoma department of transportation was bad lol

bwana39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 11, 2023, 11:28:40 PM
As I was trying to find out what the proposed plans are for this project for the first time, I found myself on the Louisiana Department of transportation"˜s website and oh man what a joke that is. Literally Projects that are listed to be completed in 2013 are still on there. We're in 2023. How hard is it to just dedicate a small team of people every month or so to update the websites?

And I thought the Oklahoma department of transportation was bad lol

This page from 2014 (which is still shown as current) says there are Tolls on the CCC. They were discontinued in 2013.

http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Operations/ccc/Pages/default.aspx

bwana39

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.