News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Manitoba Highway 16A in Minnedosa

Started by 7/8, May 24, 2017, 11:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why some of the shields for 16A in Minnedosa are Trans-Canada while others are standard Provincial Trunk Highway shields?

Also, Travel Mapping lists this as TCH 16A, while Wikipedia lists it as PTH 16A. Is it both TCH and PTH?

oscar

Quote from: 7/8 on May 24, 2017, 11:55:55 PM
Also, Travel Mapping lists this as TCH 16A, while Wikipedia lists it as PTH 16A. Is it both TCH and PTH?

Could it be that all the TCH routes in Manitoba are also (a subset of) PTHs? TM seems to so assume, for example TCH 1 is in TM as both TCH (Main) and MB 1, which are identical route files except for the names. Then again, TM does something like that for all TCH routes in all the provinces for which we have provincial route sets (coming soon for QC, not so much for SK), it's not Manitoba-specific.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

7/8

Quote from: oscar on May 25, 2017, 12:20:07 AM

Could it be that all the TCH routes in Manitoba are also (a subset of) PTHs? TM seems to so assume, for example TCH 1 is in TM as both TCH (Main) and MB 1, which are identical route files except for the names. Then again, TM does something like that for all TCH routes in all the provinces for which we have provincial route sets (coming soon for QC, not so much for SK), it's not Manitoba-specific.

How come when I search "Manitoba Provincial Trunk Highways" in TM, I don't see TCH 1, 16, 16A, or 100?

I found this instance interesting since I didn't see a single SK 1/16 or PTH 1/16 shield in my travels in SK and MB, yet most of the 16A shields in Minnedosa I saw were PTH.

Also, I think Ontario and Quebec are a different case from Western Canada, since the TCH is signed alongside the regular provincial highway shields in ON and QC. Also, you have portions of ON/QC highways which have TCH designations and then the TCH leaves the highway. So, for ON/QC, it makes sense to have the provincial highway with it's own file in addition to the TCH file. I don't see the point of this in Western Canada, where the TCH designation is on the TCH shield itself.

SignGeek101

Not sure, but the standard PTH shields you posted are older examples. Perhaps the province switched to the Trans Canada design within the last 10 years or so. Just a guess.

Is it both TCH and PTH?

Yes, along with PTH 1. TCH 1 and PTH 1 are the same I'm pretty sure.

yakra

Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
How come when I search "Manitoba Provincial Trunk Highways" in TM, I don't see TCH 1, 16, 16A, or 100?
These routes are all carbon copies of various TCH files. The idea is, right before promoting the CANMB highway set from Preview to Active, copying over the files from their corresponding TCH routes. Just not doing it before then, in case there's anything that needs a last-minute change in any of these files; I don't want to have to make changes to two different routes for each. And as far as promoting CANMB from Preview to Active, I'm kinda dragging my feet on that... :-|
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.