News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Boring interstate endings

Started by RobbieL2415, May 22, 2017, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 18, 2017, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Quillz on August 17, 2017, 10:58:49 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 17, 2017, 09:35:51 PM
The one's that end as an Interstate but continue as an Interstate quality expressway for several miles after the Interstate has ended. Like the northern end of I-39 which has already been mentioned.
Technically, I-210 does this. Its old incarnation ended at I-10 and continued seamlessly to the south as CA-57. Its present incarnation now ends at CA-57, but continues eastbound as CA-210.
I'm surprised that it isn't I-210 all the way instead of switching to CA-210. Isn't CA-210 built up to Interstate standards?

It is (and has been since 2007), but Caltrans is too lazy to submit a proposal to AASHTO.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 18, 2017, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: JJBers on August 17, 2017, 09:40:05 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 17, 2017, 09:35:51 PM
The one's that end as an Interstate but continue as an Interstate quality expressway for several miles after the Interstate has ended. Like the northern end of I-39 which has already been mentioned.
I-27...
I-384 is also like this

I-384 defaults onto US 6/44, which only goes another 1/2 mile or so before the split, then both downgrade into 2 lane roads. 

NY is notorious for these kinds of roads:  I-390, I-590, I-690, I-481, I-790 (if you keep going through on NY 49 going westbound or on NY 12 North going eastbound)
Now NY 12 south going westbound as well.  The freeway continues for nearly a mile before hitting two traffic lights and then reappearing.  Google Maps isn't quite current here.

Technically, I-86 counts as well.  Also I-890 and I-678.  One could argue that I-684 is similar to I-790 in this respect.

If you're willing to include borders, I-99 and I-190 count.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2017, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 18, 2017, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 18, 2017, 01:14:36 PM
I-70 in Baltimore because the interstate ends at a park and ride.

I think it is actually very interesting the way I-70 ends, because its uniqueness and the story it tells.

If I'm not mistaken didn't MDDOT truncate 70 back to I-695 a few years ago? Not that it matters, because we all know the real ending is still at the park and ride.

Yes, MD SHA did request a truncation of I-70 to I-695.  That was in order to downgrade existing I-70 east of 695 and use part of that right-of-way for the then-planned Baltimore Red Line (LRT).  Governor Hogan cancelled the Red Line not long after he took office.

OCGuy81

How about I-39?? Just ends at an interchange in Wausau, as the US 51 freeway continues.

JKRhodes

I expected more of I-10's western end the first time I drove it in terms of interchanges... just dumps you out on PCH.

In terms of scenery, it's far from boring though.  :wave:

tribar

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 17, 2017, 12:30:03 PM
Hmmm...to me, "boring" would mean an interstate ending that is not noteworthy as you drive past it.  So it would be an interchange where you blink and you miss it--you hardly notice that it's happening.

A good example of this:  the northern end of I-39.  It still continues as a freeway carrying US51, so nothing really changes.  You just forget that the I-39 designation even ends. 

The southern end of I-335 is another good example.  You keep going, and you're just still on a freeway where you don't change anything about your driving.

I think the northern end of I-355 is more "boring" than the southern end. The northern end you essentially keep driving and have I-290 merge from the right. The southern end requires you to change direction to enter I 80.

OCGuy81

I-505 north is a snoozer too.  You don't even realize you're heading onto I-5 in the middle of nowhere.

Perfxion

I-45/I-345/US75 changeover without really telling that one left the interstate system.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

21stCenturyRoad

For me, what makes an end of an interstate interesting, are the final moments of the route, so I strongly disagree with some responses. The end of I-95 in Miami, shouldn't be classified boring because the final miles are interesting passing through downtown Miami. Same for I-90, it's final moments eastbound passes through Downtown Boston and the Ted Williams tunnel under the harbor, finally ending at the airport, so it's quite a climatic end for a long interstate.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: tribar on August 21, 2017, 01:29:20 PM
Hmmm...to me, "boring" would mean an interstate ending that is not noteworthy as you drive past it.  So it would be an interchange where you blink and you miss it--you hardly notice that it's happening.

A good example of this:  the northern end of I-39.  It still continues as a freeway carrying US51, so nothing really changes.  You just forget that the I-39 designation even ends. 

The southern end of I-335 is another good example.  You keep going, and you're just still on a freeway where you don't change anything about your driving.

I think the northern end of I-355 is more "boring" than the southern end. The northern end you essentially keep driving and have I-290 merge from the right. The southern end requires you to change direction to enter I 80.

I said I-335--the one in Kansas.  I-355 at least ends at a cool interchange.  The northern end of I-355 just got a bit more exciting with the introduction of Route 390 popping up as soon as you merge onto 290 north.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tribar

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 22, 2017, 03:25:12 PM
Quote from: tribar on August 21, 2017, 01:29:20 PM

I said I-335--the one in Kansas.  I-355 at least ends at a cool interchange.  The northern end of I-355 just got a bit more exciting with the introduction of Route 390 popping up as soon as you merge onto 290 north.

Oh my bad. I misread your post.

thenetwork

I always thought of the western end of I-70 as anti-climatic.  As you come down the hill westbound the last few miles before I-15, you do see the end, a seemingly in the middle of nowhere.   

And considering 15 and 70 are two major cross-country interstates,  there's only a simple truck stop one exit north on I-15.

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on August 22, 2017, 05:05:14 PM
I always thought of the western end of I-70 as anti-climatic.  As you come down the hill westbound the last few miles before I-15, you do see the end, a seemingly in the middle of nowhere.   

And considering 15 and 70 are two major cross-country interstates,  there's only a simple truck stop one exit north on I-15.

What about the Cove Fort historic site? :)

Actually, the last 30 or so miles of I-70 are pretty picturesque, going through the Pavant Range over Clear Creek Summit. Sure, there's nothing really at the 15 junction, but it's an exciting ending overall.

Scott5114

Of course, the reason for this is that the Kansas Turnpike was built all as one road, so originally the only thing in Emporia was the US-50 interchange. The decision for I-35 to leave the turnpike there was fairly arbitrary. Even then, for a few decades there was no interstate designation on the road north of Emporia. I-335 was added to satisfy a legal requirement that would allow the turnpike to bump their speed limit up by 10 mph.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

I-135's north end is pretty boring as it just transitions into US 81 which continues north of I-70 as a freeway.  Motorists just could think they are still on the interstate as the freeway looks the same on both ends.  In fact Kansas has been doing what West Virginia has been doing by building all divided highways up to interstate grades minus the intersections of course.  Some may go from freeway to expressway and not notice the change until the first at grade crossing.

I-4 used to have a boring west end in Tampa as before the current interchange upgrade with I-275 as it was in not so great neighborhood and some of the houses facing I-4 would have bars on their windows letting everyone know that that part of the city is a high crime area.  Since then those houses were seized by eminent domain to make the highway wider and decorative walls were installed to add a nice feel while covering up the surroundings.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

For me, a boring Interstate ending is probably either of these two things:

1) A situation where the interstate ends, but a sufficient, non-sub-standard freeway continues, and especially if it continues for a long time. If the continuing limited-access road is not substandard, it seems absolutely needless to me to prohibit the interstate from continuing along the roadway. Examples of this situation obviously include Interstate 26's Western End, and Interstate 39's Northern End. These situations have never made much sense to me.

2) A situation where an interstate is supposed to continue, but it doesn't because the rest of it has been halted from being built, often to do with things like local opposition. An example of this is Interstate 526's Western End in Charleston, South Carolina. This interstate was supposed to continue onto Johns Island and James Island, and connect up with what is currently the limited-access SC Highway 30 and go to downtown Charleston. I find these boring and slightly unpleasant because they set the atmosphere of incompletion (something I especially can't handle because I have severe OCD). It leaves something to be desired. In situations like this, there may be a very awkward interchange(s) or intersection(s) because the road was not supposed to end up like that. In I-526's case, it seems that environmental opposition was the reason that it and SC 30 were split up, and both of them have very awkward endings on one side because they were actually supposed to be connected (the road was supposed to keep going). Unless a situation like this is impossible to be completed, and it has a very particularly intriguing interchange or ending (in a good way), then I find these situations of interstate and freeway endings to be boring and unbearably frustrating. Situations like I-70's in Baltimore seem to fit that latter requirement and are an exception for me, so I don't really have a problem with Interstate 70's Eastern Ending, for example.

Those are the main kinds of Interstate endings that I personally find to be quite boring. An interstate, such as I-70 in Utah, can be interesting enough scenery-wise to make the interstate ending very interesting, even if the interchange or ending itself isn't awfully special or intriguing.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

I-41 in metro Green Bay, WI.  The freeway continues northward as US 41/141 for about 16 more miles before they split and become expressways, and the terminus of the Interstate (superfluous designation anyway IMO) has no fanfare, just one sign.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

ET21

I-55 North in Chicago won't be boring for a little bit once they re-open the newly constructed ramps and put up the new signage.

I-355 south is a snoozer at I-80, and I'll take both endings on I-39 as well :sleep: :sleep:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MCRoads

I know technically this isn't a terminus, but I 70 in breezwood sucks. My mom and dad even think so. We were driving along, only to find a STOPLIGHT on the interstate!! And this an easy fix, too, just realign I 70 just a little bit!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MCRoads on October 05, 2017, 09:03:24 AM
I know technically this isn't a terminus, but I 70 in breezwood sucks. My mom and dad even think so. We were driving along, only to find a STOPLIGHT on the interstate!! And this an easy fix, too, just realign I 70 just a little bit!
That is stupid, but not boring.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doglover44

Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2017, 11:33:42 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 22, 2017, 11:26:22 PM
Eastern end of I-70 is a dead-end at a commuter lot on the western edge of Baltimore City.

I thought of that one as well.
Also, I-990. Which is pretty anti-climatic in general.

I always wanted to drive to the east end of I 70

RobbieL2415

I know this isn't an Interstate ending, but the ending of CT/MA/VT 8 in Searsburg, VT is a dud considering the route spans three states and 147 miles.  I was staying in nearby Wilmington for the holiday weekend and I drove past it.  It ends at a T intersection with VT 9 pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  And what's weird to me about it is that from that point, that's the most direct route to NYC.  Yea, you could go another 15 miles into Bennington and use US 7 but the average speed limit is lower and there's more traffic.

MCRoads

What about I-72"s(am i the onlly one that didnt realize this was a thing?) western end is... [Insert Fart Noise Here]

https://goo.gl/maps/sRe5ujrkhpx

I mean, it is able to continue for 1 or 2 more miles!

anyway, the last exit is just "EXIT", not "EXIT 158"...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

bing101

I-710 north has a boring end but that's because it was supposed to connect to CA-134 and I-210 interchange in Pasadena.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bing101 on October 31, 2017, 12:50:34 PM
I-710 north has a boring end but that's because it was supposed to connect to CA-134 and I-210 interchange in Pasadena.
I think surface road endings are interesting. Boring for me is interstates that just end at a boring interchange.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.