News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most important interstate that isn't x0/x5

Started by fillup420, August 30, 2017, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

Could be due to traffic volume, regional importance, physical route, etc.

bing101

I-4 Florida because of tourists to resorts in the Orlando area and I-8 because of San Diego area Traffic.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

bing101

i-H1, I-H2, I-H3, I-h201 Hawaii have to be important interstates due to all Honolulu Traffic.

I-238 Hayward, CA it's a shortcut from I-580 to I-880

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

From both stats and personal experience, I'd have to say I-94, due to the sheer number of major metro areas served -- but with I-44 a damn close 2nd, if for nothing else than its status as part of the major freight corridor from L.A. and the rest of the Southwest to the Great Lakes states & the Northeast. 

But having said that -- I-81 gains importance in winter months, when avoidance of the upper Great Plains and Great Lakes areas often becomes mandatory for commerce.

NWI_Irish96

I-94.  It's essentially an x0 but couldn't be numbered as such because they ran out of x0 numbers due to skipping 50 and 60. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ekt8750

Eastern I-76. Connects Philadelphia to the Midwest.

Quillz

Flint1979

OCGuy81

Beltway

Quote from: 1 on August 30, 2017, 11:52:38 AM
My first thought was I-94. Then I checked kurumi's list.

http://kurumi.com/roads/rank2di.html

No weightings for total AADT or large truck AADT.

I seem to recall in other discussions that is what put I-81 to the top, as it is a "super bypass" that doesn't  touch but bypasses the Northeast metros, and has Interstate connectors to each metro.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

I-94 by a large margin because of the long length and huge transportation corridor in the Mid-West connecting to Ontario.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2017, 12:00:20 AM
I-94 by a large margin because of the long length and huge transportation corridor in the Mid-West connecting to Ontario.
Just rename it the NFC North Freeway (even tho it doesn't make it to Green Bay, it does connect the Twin Cities to Milwaukee to Chicago to Detroit, which is the concentration of the Fan Bases for the 4 teams in the Division!)

Its almost Football season...crossing Road Geek with NFL...

Going Fictional, could reroute I-94 so it does include Green Bay on its route, and also eliminate the I-90 and I-39 multiplex north of Madison...and decommission I-43 while I'm at it...I-94 takes over I-43 between Milwaukee and Green Bay, and then takes over WI 29 from Green Bay to Eau Claire, meeting backing up with current I-94 to get to the Twin Cities

US 89

I-94 just because it's long and connects lots of major metro areas, as said above.
I-81 because it's part of the best route from NYC to LA. (And as was said above, it has great connectivity with large metros without actually going through them.)
I-64 for its length and metro areas.

I-77 and I-44 are also quite important, but maybe not as much as the ones above.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SP Cook

Depends on what you mean by "important".   If you are talking about commerce, I-81 is right at the top.  If you are talking about tourists, then I-4.  If you are talking about the military, then I-64, connecting many major bases and reserve centers to the largest military center in the world, Norfolk, is.  If you are talking about public safety of a place likely to need evacutaion, I-26.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on August 31, 2017, 01:28:18 PM
I-17.

It's important but doesn't carry anywhere the volume of traffic bigger routes like 69, 26, 64, 81, and 94 do. 

DevalDragon

I-44

Linking the West Coast to Chicago and the midwest.

kkt

I-94, maybe I-64.

Karumi's list is good, but I'd rather weight traffic volume more heavily and number of spur routes less heavily

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.