News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which Arkansas Route Would You Choose?

Started by bubbamcgee, September 05, 2017, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbamcgee

I have to make a business trip this week from central Missouri (Columbia) down to Benton, Arkansas.  Google suggests heading down to Springfield and then to Conway, AR via US65 then on down I-40/I-430 to my final destination.  Looking at the map, there is also US63 to US412 to US167 to Little Rock.  The mileage is about the same both ways. 

I know the condition of the highways down to the Arkansas border via US65 & US63.  Both are in great condition and can maintain pretty good speed.  (Although, US63 does have a few small towns to drive through.)  I have no idea of the road conditions from the border south.  So, does anybody have any suggestions, or preference???

cjk374

I have driven both routes between Columbia & Benton. It has been a few years, but I remember you make better time using US 63 to Hardy, AR then turn right onto US 62/412, stay straight at Ash Flat to be on US 167 all the way to LR. It saves almost an hour.

Going back, I would suggest US 65 route just so you can stop at Lambert's in Ozark, MO and catch a few of those flying dinner rolls as they get thrown to you by the dining staff. Then go through the Bass Pro Shop/Museum afterward on the way home.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bubbamcgee

Quote from: cjk374 on September 05, 2017, 09:37:43 AM
I have driven both routes between Columbia & Benton. It has been a few years, but I remember you make better time using US 63 to Hardy, AR then turn right onto US 62/412, stay straight at Ash Flat to be on US 167 all the way to LR. It saves almost an hour.

Going back, I would suggest US 65 route just so you can stop at Lambert's in Ozark, MO and catch a few of those flying dinner rolls as they get thrown to you by the dining staff. Then go through the Bass Pro Shop/Museum afterward on the way home.
My wife and I have been to Lambert's & Bass Pro a few times already.  The novelty of them both have worn off and just don't interest us anymore.  Not too mention, I'm not interested in dealing with the crowds!  Good grief, the wait can be ridiculous!

You said that 63 would be the fastest... but, doesn't all the little towns between Jeff City and the highway in Bald Knob, AR cause quite a bit more slowdowns?  For the most part, the highway between Jeff City and south of Branson on 65 is 4 lane and can maintain decent speeds.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cjk374

Quote from: bubbamcgee on September 05, 2017, 10:22:18 AM

My wife and I have been to Lambert's & Bass Pro a few times already.  The novelty of them both have worn off and just don't interest us anymore.  Not too mention, I'm not interested in dealing with the crowds!  Good grief, the wait can be ridiculous!

You said that 63 would be the fastest... but, doesn't all the little towns between Jeff City and the highway in Bald Knob, AR cause quite a bit more slowdowns?  For the most part, the highway between Jeff City and south of Branson on 65 is 4 lane and can maintain decent speeds.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't 63 a divided 4-lane now between Columbia & Mammoth Springs, AR? I remember driving through many construction zones where the road wasn't 4-laned.

As far as AR state line-Bald Know goes, I think it's half & half. I know that some of the places that were made into an "Arkansas freeway" also bypassed some small towns (Pleasant Plains comes to mind). And if you are a NASCAR fan, you could stop at Batesville and see the Mark Martin museum (I'm not a NASCAR fan, but you see a billboard or 2 for it when you come into town).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bubbamcgee

Quote from: cjk374 on September 05, 2017, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: bubbamcgee on September 05, 2017, 10:22:18 AM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't 63 a divided 4-lane now between Columbia & Mammoth Springs, AR? I remember driving through many construction zones where the road wasn't 4-laned.

As far as AR state line-Bald Know goes, I think it's half & half. I know that some of the places that were made into an "Arkansas freeway" also bypassed some small towns (Pleasant Plains comes to mind). And if you are a NASCAR fan, you could stop at Batesville and see the Mark Martin museum (I'm not a NASCAR fan, but you see a billboard or 2 for it when you come into town).
I can assure you that 63 is not 4 lane between Columbia and Mammoth Springs.  It is 4 lane from Columbia to just east of Jeff City.  Then it turns into a 2 lane - alternating 3 lane down as far as Thayer, MO.  It does widen to 4 lanes from there to Mammoth Springs.  Some of that can be a tedious drive due to the slow downs in all of the little towns and dealing with trucks.

bassoon1986

I just drove from Branson, MO back to my home in central LA. US 65 is not four lanes for most of the way between Harrison to just north of Conway, but there are ample 3 lane/passing lane sections. I never felt like I was stuck behind slower vehicles for long, even though many sections are curvy.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.