News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why are there so many roads named after trees?

Started by roadgeek01, October 14, 2017, 03:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Regarding tree-named streets in general, we might associate the practice with the fake pastoralism of modern suburbia, but it goes back at least as far as the founding of Philadelphia. In laying out the plan for the city, William Penn expressed his desire to build a "greene country towne" , so it's quite possible that the selection of tree names for streets was an attempt to further that theme.

Additionally, Philadelphia's rectilinear street grid represented a noticeable break from the street patterns of European cities, which tended to grow haphazardly over centuries with crooked streets meeting each other at irregular angles. Compare the street pattern of Center City Philadelphia to that of Boston or Lower Manhattan, both of which grew ad hoc in a more European fashion. The grid patten became prevalent in other American cities as the country expanded westward.

So I would imagine that as other American city planners took some inspiration from Philadelphia's grid pattern, they also borrowed the city's tree-named streets, numbered streets, or both.

triplemultiplex

It's a classic street naming theme: name it after what ever you had to bulldoze to build the dumb road.
Trees, flowers, wildlife, crops, human beings...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 03:10:40 PM
human beings...

Man, I was in the middle of swallowing some tea when I read that.  Almost choked!   :-D
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

It's a classic street naming theme: name it after what ever you had to bulldoze to build the dumb road.

If you had to bulldoze all those things to build a dumb road, what did Virginia Tech have to bulldoze to build their Smart Road?  Just wondering!

kphoger

Quote from: sparker on October 17, 2017, 04:02:34 PM

If you had to bulldoze all those things to build a dumb road, what did Virginia Tech have to bulldoze to build their Smart Road?  Just wondering!

Smart human beings.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

theline

For what it's worth, I grew up on Mulberry Street, and we had a mulberry tree in the back yard. Our neighbor had walnut trees. The street behind us was Walnut Street. I strongly suspect that the presence of the trees was just coincidental to the street names. The streets were named long before these trees came along.

Edit: finished my entry after bumping "save" button while typing.

kkt

kkt

I seem to remember some towns planting rows of street trees of the variety indicated by the street name.  Cute, or obsessive-compulsive?

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

lepidopteran

There was a joke in MAD Magazine's "Lighter Side" comic, where a real-estate developer points to a small forest of oak, pine, and maple trees.  He says that after they clear the land, a new residential subdivision will be built there.  When someone asks what its streets will be named, he's like, what else?  Oak Street, Pine Street, and Maple Street!

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 15, 2017, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on October 14, 2017, 06:55:11 PM
There aren't enough famous people to name roads after?
There are tons of famous people. If you would like to name roads after all of them is a different question.

Indeed this afternoon we will be in a city that has a street that is not named after a certain famous person but that can't help bring his name to mind:

https://goo.gl/maps/GmcvZpXfrxF2

Regarding demolishing trees, there's a neighborhood near my parents' house called "Maple Trace." My mom says that's because you can't find even a trace of a maple there anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: ET21 on October 15, 2017, 12:37:56 PM
We love our trees :D
"Love" our trees...

*Continues to clear forest and rainforest trees 24/7...
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

paulthemapguy

This thread is gold.

Tree streets are the only reason I know the words Basswood, Birch, Cedar, Cypress, Catalpa, Dogwood, Elm, Hickory, Juniper, Locust, Maple, Oak, Pine, Poplar, Quince, Spruce, Walnut, Willow.

Other tree types I've seen on streets include Ash, Cherry, Aspen, Evergreen, Fir, Hemlock, Larch, Linden, Mulberry, Plum, Sycamore.  Many of these I learned from the landscaping menus in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Any other ones to list?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Chris19001

kkt

formulanone

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 18, 2017, 10:39:51 AM
This thread is gold.

Tree streets are the only reason I know the words Basswood, Birch, Cedar, Cypress, Catalpa, Dogwood, Elm, Hickory, Juniper, Locust, Maple, Oak, Pine, Poplar, Quince, Spruce, Walnut, Willow.

Other tree types I've seen on streets include Ash, Cherry, Aspen, Evergreen, Fir, Hemlock, Larch, Linden, Mulberry, Plum, Sycamore.  Many of these I learned from the landscaping menus in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Any other ones to list?

There's loads of palm tree, oak, pine, and cypress-named streets in Florida. You'll learn of varieties you didn't know existed.

Maybe if we had a street for Schinus terebinthifolius, the nuisance of Brazilian Pepper Trees would also get removed (it's Florida's kudzu).

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 18, 2017, 10:39:51 AM
This thread is gold.

Any other ones to list?

There might be a couple of streets named Peach Tree in Georgia.
[/understatement]
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 04:35:04 PM
[/understatement]

I was just there, and you really can get lost if you're not paying close attention.

Also, I don't remember where, but at least one city/town I've been to names their streets after trees in alphabetical order (Ash, Birch, Cedar, Dogwood, etc.).

tdindy88

St. Joseph County, Indiana does this with their main north-south county roads, alphabetical order and named after trees starting at the eastern border of the county and continuing west at each mile.

Bickendan

"Suburbs: Where they cut down the trees and name the streets after them"
Snarky refrigerator magnet my mom used to have.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 18, 2017, 07:17:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 04:35:04 PM
[/understatement]

I was just there, and you really can get lost if you're not paying close attention.

I'm running a D&D campaign set in the US, and our party just got to Atlanta. Finding your way through the maze of Peachtrees is a DC 18 Survival check...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 06:36:02 AM
I'm running a D&D campaign set in the US, and our party just got to Atlanta. Finding your way through the maze of Peachtrees is a DC 18 Survival check...

:-D

hm insulators

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2017, 02:31:19 PM
Especially in recent times, a developer that is allowed to name their own streets in the neighborhood they're building often treats the street names as marketing pieces. They think a house on Maple Street is more likely to sell than one on something like Bledsoe Street. They think people will have a positive association with living close to a maple, even if there are no actual maples on that street.

What's the old joke about a subdivision being a place where they cut down all the trees to build houses and then they name the streets after the trees that were cut down.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kphoger

Quote from: hm insulators on October 19, 2017, 12:57:46 PM
Especially in recent times, a developer that is allowed to name their own streets in the neighborhood they're building often treats the street names as marketing pieces. They think a house on Maple Street is more likely to sell than one on something like Bledsoe Street. They think people will have a positive association with living close to a maple, even if there are no actual maples on that street.

What's the old joke about a subdivision being a place where they cut down all the trees to build houses and then they name the streets after the trees that were cut down.

It goes like this:  "A subdivision is a place where they cut down all the trees to build houses and then they name the streets after the trees that were cut down."   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 01:45:33 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on October 19, 2017, 12:57:46 PM

It goes like this:  "A subdivision is a place where they cut down all the trees to build houses and then they name the streets after the trees that were cut down."   :biggrin:

See Bickendan's post above:

Quote from: Bickendan on October 18, 2017, 09:01:41 PM
"Suburbs: Where they cut down the trees and name the streets after them"
Snarky refrigerator magnet my mom used to have.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.