News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crews connect Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk highway in the middle

Started by Kniwt, April 08, 2016, 01:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The CBC reports:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/inuvik-tuktoyaktuk-highway-1.3526669

QuoteInuvik and Tuktoyaktuk are now connected by an all-weather road.

The two sides of the N.W.T.'s Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk Highway met on Thursday, as construction crews poured the last bit of gravel to fill the gap.

... There's still a lot of work to be done on the highway before it's operational. The road, which extends the Dempster Highway, is not scheduled to open until fall 2017.

kkt

Quote from: Kniwt on April 08, 2016, 01:03:22 PM
The CBC reports:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/inuvik-tuktoyaktuk-highway-1.3526669

QuoteInuvik and Tuktoyaktuk are now connected by an all-weather road.

The two sides of the N.W.T.'s Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk Highway met on Thursday, as construction crews poured the last bit of gravel to fill the gap.

... There's still a lot of work to be done on the highway before it's operational. The road, which extends the Dempster Highway, is not scheduled to open until fall 2017.

Wow, road trip next fall!

SignGeek101

I'd drive it. Won't be able to for a while yet, so they can take their time finishing it.

CtrlAltDel

What do they still have to do that it's going to take another year for the road to open?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cbeach40

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 11, 2016, 07:06:48 PM
What do they still have to do that it's going to take another year for the road to open?

Not sure, but I'd imagine their winter shutdown is lengthy!
and waterrrrrrr!

vdeane

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 12, 2016, 10:06:00 AM

I remember reading that it's actually a SUMMER shutdown because winter is the only time of the year where the ground is hard enough for heavy construction equipment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2016, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on April 12, 2016, 10:06:00 AM

I remember reading that it's actually a SUMMER shutdown because winter is the only time of the year where the ground is hard enough for heavy construction equipment.

Now that the roadbed has been built, if it's solid enough to support equipment, the summer shutdown may no longer be necessary. OTOH, it may now be unnecessary, and overly costly, to work in the cold, dark winter, so we might have a winter shutdown or slowdown.

In any case, I don't know what's left to be done, though it might include a finish layer of gravel to provide motorists a smoother driving surface.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

I wonder if the road, once laid down, has to go through a seasonal freeze-thaw cycle in order to stabilize, or something?

(Just pulling that out of nowhere...)

iPhone

oscar

Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2016, 03:44:03 PM
I wonder if the road, once laid down, has to go through a seasonal freeze-thaw cycle in order to stabilize, or something?

My guess is that it'd require such stabilization only if pavement were going to be laid down. I recall that the planned reroute of the southern end of the Dalton Highway (AK 11) will be left unpaved for several years, to let the new roadbed settle down. But so long as the road to Tuktoyaktuk remains unpaved (probably indefinitely, all but a few km of the Dempster Hwy. to Inuvik has remained unpaved for several decades), if a sag or other irregularity develops, a grader can quickly fix it.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

oscar

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2016, 11:14:17 AM
Anyone know if it will be an extension of NT 8?

It will, and also will be added to the Dempster Highway.

Kniwt

Construction season is now over until next winter, which still appears to be the last winter of construction before the road opens in fall 2017. Here's the official government news release, which doesn't really say much of significance beyond that:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1067439

QuoteThe governments of Canada and the Northwest Territories are pleased to announce the completion of a successful third construction season of the Inuvik Tuktoyaktuk Highway. This season saw the historic joining of the two construction spreads on April 7, linking the north and the south sections after years of hard work. Work will resume in the fall of 2016, with this northern-most section of the envisioned Mackenzie Valley Highway scheduled to open in the fall of 2017.

nexus73

So when does the new road get twinned?  LOL! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SignGeek101

Quote from: nexus73 on May 24, 2016, 11:36:16 AM
So when does the new road get twinned?  LOL! 

Rick

Maybe after they twin the Alaska highway  :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.