News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I have noticed the Kappa Street Atlas of the San Joaquin Valley, left out this..

Started by ACSCmapcollector, August 15, 2016, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

When I in Barnes and Nobles, in downtown San Luis Obispo...I have noticed that the Kappa Street Atlas of the San Joaquin Valley, has left out  A) the California state route 4 extension west of Stockton, CA now under construction and B) the Westside Parkway in West Bakersfield.  Made very cheaply too.

Bickendan

ACSCmapcollector

compdude787

Do they still make Thomas Guides? I haven't seen them in any stores lately, and I would think that they're largely getting replaced by GPS navigation on your smartphone. Even I use the maps app on my smartphone, but I don't use the turn by turn directions. I just look at the map and figure out where I need to go.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: compdude787 on August 15, 2016, 07:59:51 PM
Do they still make Thomas Guides? I haven't seen them in any stores lately, and I would think that they're largely getting replaced by GPS navigation on your smartphone. Even I use the maps app on my smartphone, but I don't use the turn by turn directions. I just look at the map and figure out where I need to go.

Only on the Internet, the Thomas Guides can be bought.

Separated reply from quote. –Roadfro

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 15, 2016, 07:15:04 PM
When I in Barnes and Nobles, in downtown San Luis Obispo...I have noticed that the Kappa Street Atlas of the San Joaquin Valley, has left out  A) the California state route 4 extension west of Stockton, CA now under construction and B) the Westside Parkway in West Bakersfield.  Made very cheaply too.

I don't think the extension being build west of the I-5/CA-4 interchange in Stockton is going to carry CA-4.  I believe CA-4 will continue to be routed along I-5 south to Charter Way.

As for the Westside Parkway, did the map omit the already construction portion?  If so, that's pretty bad IMO.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 15, 2016, 08:52:59 PM

I don't think the extension being build west of the I-5/CA-4 interchange in Stockton is going to carry CA-4.  I believe CA-4 will continue to be routed along I-5 south to Charter Way.

As for the Westside Parkway, did the map omit the already construction portion?  If so, that's pretty bad IMO.

No just the California State Route 4 portion west of Stockton, CA but that has to be completed all the way to Charter Way, in the distant future.

coatimundi

Caltrans is doing the project, but it's being called a "ramp extension," which seems like it will not reroute SR 4. The way it dumps traffic onto the local streets, it doesn't seem like it would be a good idea anyway. It's more for trucks reaching the Port of Stockton than extending the highway.

The Westside Parkway has been open, for the most part, for about 2 years, so that would be a bit ridiculous. But I'm not curious enough to actually buy one of these maps to find out for sure.

Thomas is selling Kappa through their online store, so I would guess that there's some sort of merge there.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 15, 2016, 09:13:39 PM

No just the California State Route 4 portion west of Stockton, CA but that has to be completed all the way to Charter Way, in the distant future.

I seriously doubt that extension will *ever* be part of CA-4 and eventually reach Charter Way.  Like coatimundi said, it's primarily an access point for the Port of Stockton.  Nothing more.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 16, 2016, 12:58:19 AM

I seriously doubt that extension will *ever* be part of CA-4 and eventually reach Charter Way.  Like coatimundi said, it's primarily an access point for the Port of Stockton.  Nothing more.

Perhaps Caltrans will delete the rest of California state route 4 freeway, west of Stockton?

coatimundi

SR 4 isn't currently on the Crosstown Freeway west of I-5. It joins I-5 for one exit and goes to Charter Way.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 17, 2016, 07:04:03 PM

Perhaps Caltrans will delete the rest of California state route 4 freeway, west of Stockton?

It's hard to delete something that doesn't exist...  :rolleyes:

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 17, 2016, 11:06:15 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 17, 2016, 07:04:03 PM

It's hard to delete something that doesn't exist...  :rolleyes:

I meant the proposed routing on a map on paper of CA state route 4.

jrouse

myosh_tino

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.