News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

ODOT botches another one: US 97 overpass at La Pine

Started by Sub-Urbanite, October 04, 2017, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-Urbanite

bigdave

Bickendan

And this is a reason why we don't have money for the needed projects elsewhere in the state x.x

Alps

I wonder how much diatomaceous earth there is. I wonder how much weight is needed for compaction given the height of ground level above the diatom layer, and the time of compaction for these fragile silica shells. I wonder if there's any other way to get at these buggers and destroy them to lay down a road. Consider that there's been a road and a railroad up there for ages and the ground hasn't sunk by inches this quickly. Or the records have been lost.

Kniwt

Update: ODOT has officially killed the project.
http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5683944-151/state-kills-17m-wickiup-junction-project

QuoteState transportation commissioners officially shut down the troubled $17 million Wickiup Junction overpass that suffered from rapidly settling soil.

... The commission agreed Thursday to use the project's unspent money – about $3 million – to keep analyzing the soil that is filled with microscopic diatoms, which lived in an ancient lake under the project site. In addition, funds will help determine if another project on the land is even viable.

sparker

Quote from: Kniwt on October 23, 2017, 12:00:44 AM
http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5683944-151/state-kills-17m-wickiup-junction-project

QuoteState transportation commissioners officially shut down the troubled $17 million Wickiup Junction overpass that suffered from rapidly settling soil.

... The commission agreed Thursday to use the project's unspent money – about $3 million – to keep analyzing the soil that is filled with microscopic diatoms, which lived in an ancient lake under the project site. In addition, funds will help determine if another project on the land is even viable.

Is there a timetable for tearing down the bridge structure -- including all beams, bents, and berms -- now that the project has been scrapped?  I certainly hope ODOT's not planning to leave it in place to sink on its own!  And I can bet BNSF's not too thrilled about that prospect either!

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Kniwt on October 23, 2017, 12:00:44 AM

Quote"The lessons learned will change the way we do business as an agency,"  Garrett said.

Funny, I remember hearing that after the Eddyville bypass was restarted from scratch.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.