How Christmas could help the NBA threaten the NFL’s reign over American sports

Started by bing101, December 25, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

I had no problem viewing it.  It's The Post, so you get so many free articles in a month.  Even then, if you go incognito, no problem with that limit, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

I don't know...The NBA is a predominantly urban sport, while the NFL has always been geared towards just about all demographics across the country (both rural and urban), so I don't see how one holiday could boost one sport's threat to another. Then again, with all the recent NFL boycotts, there may be a valid point on this.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SP Cook

NFL could lose 4/5ths of its fans and still be light years ahead of the NBA.  The NBA is an urban sport and a show for children.  It is a substitute for cartoons.

Predictions of the bright NBA future ignore its fundamental niche status.  It has never been able to break out of its twin niches of children and urban dwellers.  The adult middle class just does not care.

MNHighwayMan

The fundamental problem with the NBA, and more generally, basketball as a whole, is that the games really don't matter until the last ~five minutes of play. That, combined with the fact that there's like 100 games a season in the NBA, is a recipe for no one giving a flying hoot. It's just not interesting, at least IMO.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: SP Cook on December 26, 2017, 10:13:30 AM
NFL could lose 4/5ths of its fans and still be light years ahead of the NBA.  The NBA is an urban sport and a show for children.  It is a substitute for cartoons.

Predictions of the bright NBA future ignore its fundamental niche status.  It has never been able to break out of its twin niches of children and urban dwellers.  The adult middle class just does not care.

?

I agree that there is really no near-term threat to the NFL posed by the NBA, I would offer two long-term developments: International appeal of NBA basketball, particularly in Asia (granted, the original article mentions the American landscape) and the increased awareness of major head trauma associated with football collisions.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 26, 2017, 10:34:06 AM
The fundamental problem with the NBA, and more generally, basketball as a whole, is that the games really don't matter until the last ~five minutes of play. That, combined with the fact that there's like 100 games a season in the NBA, is a recipe for no one giving a flying hoot. It's just not interesting, at least IMO.

Concur, the regular season is quite weak. I'm a pretty big basketball fan at the college and pro levels, and I hardly follow the NBA regular season since there's not much drama within it - you pretty much know the best teams at the beginning of the season.

The playoffs are exciting though, and some of the major regular season matchups (i.e. the Christmas games).

Alps

Urban dwellers aren't middle class? Or are you using your alt-right buzzwords for "black" and "white"? And now you'll deny it. Sad, pathetic man.

Bruce

"Urban" fans have the money and key youth demographic that makes media executives salivate. And, as the country continues to become more and more urban, those "urban" teams will have larger and larger followings. Hence why modern stadiums are being built closer to downtowns rather than in far-flung suburbs.

Hurricane Rex

Honestly I want the NFL to fail after what they've done promotinv to protest our flag. I understand thia is a free country but no one should disrespect our anthem and flag. You can still be respectful and look for change.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 28, 2017, 05:27:53 AM
Honestly I want the NFL to fail after what they've done promotinv to protest our flag.

That was on the players, not the league itself.

QuoteI understand thia is a free country...

Good...

Quote...but no one should disrespect our anthem and flag.

...and there's the hypocrisy. "It's only free if it doesn't insult me or my country."

SP Cook

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 26, 2017, 10:44:39 AM
show for children.
?

I agree that there is really no near-term threat to the NFL posed by the NBA, I would offer two long-term developments: International appeal of NBA basketball, particularly in Asia (granted, the original article mentions the American landscape) and the increased awareness of major head trauma associated with football collisions.

- Children.  Yes.  The ESPN/NBA playbook for promoting the sport is, more or less, the WWF's playbook from its heydays,    Simplistic personality based morality plays.  Get the kids and mom and/or dad have to bring them.  After its urban core audience, the other niche of this niche sport is children.

- Asia.  Not to be a Debby Downer, but you know what half the world will do today?  The same thing they did yesterday and will do tomorrow.  Engage in a desperate struggle to find enough to eat.  The average URBAN Chinese makes $4.5K/year.  Country folks really have no  measurable income in a Western sense.  To borrow from the uneducated protesters of a few years ago, China really is a 1%/99% society.  And 1% of a couple billion is a still a lot, but spectator sports, like any diversion, is a product of prosperty and free time.  And the 99% ain't got none.

- Head trauma.  The only mistake the NFL can make is the one NASCAR made, which is listening to the "someone might get hurt" idiots.  You can get hurt, and fantastically rich and famous, playing football.  Same with any blue collar job, except for the fantastically rich and famous part.  There will always be people willing to play football, just like there will always be Marines, oil well workers, firemen, deep sea fishermen, coal miners, and so on.

AlexandriaVA

I think you're projecting some political views onto your overall take on the NBA, but this is an internet forum so that's what you'll get.

I still don't get your point about "children" and "urban" viewers, so I'd appreciate some more clarification on that.

I think your views on Chinese hunger are about 50 years out of date. Despite whatever you may read, the days of starvation in the Chinese countryside are long gone. More to the point, the influence of the Chinese market is already fully appreciated in the film industry, so I don't see why NBA and professional sports should be any different. The NFL seeks foreign markets as well (e.g. Mexico, UK) but I don't see it getting off the ground nearly as much due to the popularity of soccer in most countries.

I don't get your point about the injuries either. Are you saying that people won't watch the NFL if the league tries to limit brain trauma? My point was that football is being less popular at lower levels (i.e. high school, peewee) due to parents not wanting their kids to get brain damage at young age, which will limit the popularity of the sports.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2017, 08:05:23 PM

Urban dwellers aren't middle class? Or are you using your alt-right buzzwords for "black" and "white"? And now you'll deny it. Sad, pathetic man.

Pretty sure he's including Jews with the urban dwellers, too. That one goes way back with the NBA.

AlexandriaVA

Bruce

It's not the Chinese fans that are the target, it's the money that comes from Chinese firms and billionaires. They've had a tremendous impact on European soccer over the last decade (note the amount of Chinese shirt sponsors and Chinese ownership of clubs like Inter Milan, Aston Villa, and Atletico Madrid) their own league boasts a lot of star players lured away with massive contracts. The Chinese wealthy want ways to show off their wealth, and sports is a great way for them to flaunt it.

Alps

Honestly I want the NFL to fail after what they've done promotinv to protest our flag. I understand thia is a free country but no one should disrespect our anthem and flag. You can still be respectful and look for change.
Not you too. They completely mishandled that. Look at other sports - players may kneel, or hold hands, or other silent forms of protest, and the league upholds their freedom of speech. It was entirely on the NFL to do the same, and they chose not to because their main audience is white and conservative. There, I said it. The whole thing is a rigged farce anyway - you think the Steelers would willingly let a player go straight to the Patriots when they have a playoff matchup looming? - but this is the last straw. I seriously hope the NFL is gone by 2022. I'll watch NCAA and CFL for now.

P.S. I will kneel for the anthem. I will walk on the flag if I choose. It is my way of expressing discontent with the state of the country. If you have a problem with that, get out of the country, because A#1 over here is "freedom of expression."

SignGeek101

Quote from: Alps on December 29, 2017, 12:39:39 AM
Not you too. They completely mishandled that. Look at other sports - players may kneel, or hold hands, or other silent forms of protest, and the league upholds their freedom of speech. It was entirely on the NFL to do the same, and they chose not to because their main audience is white and conservative. There, I said it. The whole thing is a rigged farce anyway - you think the Steelers would willingly let a player go straight to the Patriots when they have a playoff matchup looming? - but this is the last straw. I seriously hope the NFL is gone by 2022. I'll watch NCAA and CFL for now.

P.S. I will kneel for the anthem. I will walk on the flag if I choose. It is my way of expressing discontent with the state of the country. If you have a problem with that, get out of the country, because A#1 over here is "freedom of expression."

Never mind burning the flag...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

...but that's a discussion for a different forum.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on December 29, 2017, 12:39:39 AM
The whole thing is a rigged farce anyway - you think the Steelers would willingly let a player go straight to the Patriots when they have a playoff matchup looming? - but this is the last straw. I seriously hope the NFL is gone by 2022. I'll watch NCAA and CFL for now.

LOL, you can't be serious. Harrison has barely had any play time this year, and apparently there's been disagreement between him and the Steelers' coaching staff all season. Furthermore, the Patriots needed linebacker help–so why wouldn't they take a veteran on for the last game of the season + playoffs?

But nope, definitely rigged instead, because you know, 1000s of people can definitely keep a conspiracy quiet...

Rothman

Harrison is 39 years old.  Pats just want the Steelers' playbook from him. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on December 29, 2017, 07:42:27 AM
Exactly. And anyone with half a brain would know that and not let him walk in the last week.

Road Hog

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on December 29, 2017, 08:46:27 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 29, 2017, 07:42:27 AM
Exactly. And anyone with half a brain would know that and not let him walk in the last week.

LOL, it's not even guaranteed that the Patriots will face the Steelers in the playoffs. But sure, just keep believing that's why it happened the way it did–totally not because the Patriots have no depth at linebacker, or because Harrison wanted play time but wasn't getting any from the Steelers' coaching staff.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on December 26, 2017, 07:52:49 AM
I had no problem viewing it.  It's The Post, so you get so many free articles in a month.  Even then, if you go incognito, no problem with that limit, either.

I noticed at least one paper (the Minneapolis Star-Tribune) changed their 10 free articles from starting arbitrarily on the 1st of the month to beginning the 30 days from the date you viewed your first article on their site along with no longer telling you how many articles you have left. Not sure what this was supposed to accomplish, make it trickier for freeloaders to track and entice more of them to subscribe just so they don't burn out on an article they're particularly excited about?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.