News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A "like post" button

Started by bugo, January 13, 2014, 03:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: jbnv on May 15, 2014, 04:11:54 PM
I've seen thumbs-up/down work well on one forum and work badly on another. The difference between the two: Anonymity. The latter actually created a "spy tool" so that you can see who gave you which finger. Predictable result: Lots of retaliatory repping in both directions. And it only reinforced the impression that the particular site was dominated by an elite clique.

I'd like to have thumbs-up/down here, as long as the fingering remains anonymous.

I'd rather just have an image of a middle finger for a smiley instead of + or - for a post.  Be an adult, give the finger like you mean it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

I'd like to have thumbs-up/down here, as long as the fingering remains anonymous.

So we'd be anonymously fingering each other?  ;-)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

nexus73

Funny to see all the different takes on this subject since my experiences on various forums, which range from anarchic freewheeling to heavily moderated, have never really had a problem with the like/dislike feature.  Until I read this thread I have never even seen the issue debated.

Now that I have it's obvious we have a YMMV deal going on.  Here's my take for this forum.  The moderation element is relatively light since the forum culture element is so strong and positive.  A few kerfuffles come up but not often.  Banning members isn't going on.  Cliques aren't doing drive-bys on each other even if it is a road forum...LOL!  All in all I would say if we had a +/- feature here that it wouldn't be overly disruptive to this community but I don't think it would add much either, so put the idea down as one having a minimal impact as my best guess.

If implementing a like/dislike system is more hassle than it's worth, then don't worry about it and let the roads roll!

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2014, 06:18:20 PM

So we'd be anonymously fingering each other?  ;-)
I like this system.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2014, 09:43:23 AM
I really don't like the idea of a "dislike" button. I think if you disagree with someone's comment enough to be motivated to give some indication of it, you should give a reason why you feel that way (preferably more than just "yawn" or "fuck you," but then, if someone posts that sort of reply, it just damages his own credibility).

I don't really see much reason for "like" or "dislike" buttons because I don't think it's hard to assess the value of a post. It's sort of like perusing the reviews on Amazon.com when considering whether to buy a product. They do let people vote on whether reviews are helpful, but I don't need the vote count because I think it's easy to determine which reviews are useful and which are written by grade-school kids as a school assignment. Plus, the people who vote something helpful might be doing so for reasons that are of little interest to you (an example might be if somebody's review focuses on why a stereo component is convenient to operate but doesn't discuss sound quality–if your focus is on the sound, that review won't help you).

This is well put.  The internet craves standardization and thus simplification, because broad, simple standards brings ease and marketability.  Quality of content (i.e. the personal investment) doesn't really grow from that kind of system.

(Or, if you prefer, "+1")

I don't really think it adds anything to what is generally a rich and healthy discussion forum.

Arkansastravelguy

Although it sounds good, in my experience moding a company forum with thumbs up/down is they get rated on the person more and the content less.

iPhone

on_wisconsin

I am all for a like button (as long as there is no karma or points), especially for the Road Illustrations sub-forum. It would be a great way to show appreciation for someones work when you don't necessarily have anything else to say.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Roadgeekteen

Nope. Reddit has it and I hate it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 17, 2017, 01:43:14 AM
Nope. Reddit has it and I hate it.

The difference with Reddit is that there is always the risk of getting downvoted if you're incorrect, people don't agree with you, or they don't understand your joke.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Its all like social media and sounds good, but the arguments here  against it have merit and in the real world maybe should not be.  We have a lot of Aspies on here who get their feelings hurt real easily, and some not seeing likes to comments of theirs like similar comments to others could create more friction.

I think just words we say will do.  Plus we could install a thumbs up icon or use something like this one :clap: which could be the same.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on April 18, 2017, 01:07:45 PM
Its all like social media and sounds good, but the arguments here  against it have merit and in the real world maybe should not be.  We have a lot of Aspies on here who get their feelings hurt real easily, and some not seeing likes to comments of theirs like similar comments to others could create more friction.

I think just words we say will do.  Plus we could install a thumbs up icon or use something like this one :clap: which could be the same.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bigass:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

(Reply deleted because after I posted I thought it'd cause too much trouble if people knew where it was directed.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Alanland?  Or should I say puppyland now that your buddy Ethanman8675309 title is now given to the hypetenuse man (or kid).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2017, 08:00:51 AM
Alanland?  Or should I say puppyland now that your buddy Ethanman8675309 title is now given to the hypetenuse man (or kid).

If you're referring to my comment, no, neither of those. I had made a comment referring, without mentioning any names, to an active forum member, but I then decided it would just cause trouble.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.