News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Moderation transparency

Started by hbelkins, June 03, 2016, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Is it too much to ask for some transparency in the moderation process around here? Or is the topic so off-limits that even threads about the topic get locked?

I guess the first rule of AA Roads Forum Moderators' Club is that you don't talk about AA Roads Forum Moderators' Club.  :pan: :banghead:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on June 03, 2016, 07:10:39 PM
Is it too much to ask for some transparency in the moderation process around here? Or is the topic so off-limits that even threads about the topic get locked?

I guess the first rule of AA Roads Forum Moderators' Club is that you don't talk about AA Roads Forum Moderators' Club.  :pan: :banghead:

That's the second rule. ;)

Rule 1 is No Poofdas! :bigass:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

I haven't been involved in the recent dust-up, and haven't read into the situation at all, but I would imagine the meta thread was closed because it was interpreted (perhaps incorrectly) to be sour-grapesism. If someone gets moderated and immediately makes a post agitating for reform, it could be construed as an attempt to inflame the situation further by taking the moderator/poster interaction public. I can see how a thread removal would be justified in that circumstance. Again, I don't know the specifics of the situation, but it seems like it could be a logical outcome in some cases.

That being said, what specific changes are you seeking?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Locked meta-thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18069.0

Thread whose locking prompted the locked meta-thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17960.0

The decision to lock the more recent lane-splitting thread was probably motivated by what developed in this earlier thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16354.0

Speaking as someone who used to be a lead moderator on another forum, I would have seen this quoted text in the later lane-splitting thread (from its second page) as a major red flag:

Quote from: hbelkinsBecause my main foil in that last thread was such an arrogant jerk out it, I wanted him to see (if he's still around) a visual example of why he was wrong.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

At least I was honest about it. Someone asked why the topic was resurrected. Perhaps I should have said something more along the lines of, "I still think lane-splitting is dangerous, MFFY behavior and this provides some proof of my assertion."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.