News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road signs you will never see on the road

Started by hotdogPi, December 24, 2013, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

mhh

Here's a "use turn signal" sign (well, an "indicate direction" sign) in Point Edward, Ontario. The Blue Water Bridge is in the background.

http://goo.gl/maps/iQWi8

Takumi

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 01, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
A MUTCD-accurate sign in South Hampton Roads.
Fixed. Really the only good signage in Hampton Roads at all is in Newport News, where they still use the older specs from the cutout era, as does Williamsburg. I haven't been to Poquoson, so I don't know what the signage is like there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on January 01, 2014, 01:04:44 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on January 01, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
A MUTCD-accurate sign in South Hampton Roads.
Fixed. Really the only good signage in Hampton Roads at all is in Newport News, where they still use the older specs from the cutout era, as does Williamsburg. I haven't been to Poquoson, so I don't know what the signage is like there.

Chesapeake isn't terrible, and neither is Suffolk (to an extent).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Suffolk has gone way, way downhill in the past two years as they've replaced VDOT-era signage with their own, um, creations.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman

Quote from: mhh on January 01, 2014, 09:54:12 AM
Here's a "use turn signal" sign (well, an "indicate direction" sign) in Point Edward, Ontario. The Blue Water Bridge is in the background.

Before they rebuilt and signalized the intersection of NH 111 and NH 111A (which is just east of the NH 111/I-93 interchange) in Windham, NH, there was a regulatory sign facing NH 11 westbound traffic that read (IIRC) "Right Turns Use Directional".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on January 01, 2014, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: mhh on January 01, 2014, 09:54:12 AM

Before they rebuilt and signalized the intersection of NH 111 and NH 111A (which is just east of the NH 111/I-93 interchange) in Windham, NH, there was a regulatory sign facing NH 11 westbound traffic that read (IIRC) "Right Turns Use Directional".

I've been at that intersection (NH 111, not NH 11  :spin:), but only recently, unfortunately.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on January 01, 2014, 01:04:44 PMI haven't been to Poquoson, so I don't know what the signage is like there.

Been there once, and it appeared to be fairly normal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheOneKEA

Here's one:

EXIT 50C

West Interstate 70

Ellicott City
Frederick

1/4 MILE

We won't see this until/unless MDSHA and Baltimore City find a way around the parkland...

allniter89

Quote from: vtk on December 31, 2013, 09:06:11 AM
Speed Limit 45
Trucks 80

(I was going to use the Ohio wording for the truck speed limit but can't remember it...)
Using the exact Ohio verbage, vtk idea would be
|non com buses  |   
|        80            |
|-----------------|
|other vehicles    |
|        45            |
|_____________|
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
""""""""""""""""""""""""
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Urban Prairie Schooner

A brand spanking new green Louisiana state highway shield.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on January 01, 2014, 05:04:40 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 01, 2014, 01:04:44 PMI haven't been to Poquoson, so I don't know what the signage is like there.

Been there once, and it appeared to be fairly normal.

Poquoson's state highway shields are normal, standard looking shields but the problem is that VA 171 is not posted within Poquoson anymore.  VA 171 has an unmarked turn down near its eastern end.  Not that it matters.  Taking the turn or not puts you at a dead end at the water's edge...

Mapmikey

hotdogPi

Speed limit 45 - this sign is sentient

Breakdown lane travel prohibited except for EZ-Pass users

Exit 11: Aquora Hills / George Washington Bridge

Deaths from driving while stoned this year: 420

One way dead end

Watch for incoming traffic

Reminder: Don't commit suicide in suicide lanes

Future I-366E

Toll $4 except for Wikipedia editors

Entering Narnia
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1 on January 02, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Deaths from driving while stoned this year: 420

There's a 420/stone accidental combo out there in real life--

(It connects the end of I-280 and the Ohio Turnpike to US 20 to the south, thus 420)

NE2

Nice. Not too far from exit 69 Big Beaver Road either.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 02, 2014, 10:09:38 PM
There's a 420/stone accidental combo out there in real life--

Do the OH 420 signs have a problem with getting stolen, or are they only on BGS and not on trailblazer assemblies? I know NJ 69 signs (before it got changed into 31) were prone to being stolen which prompted NJDOT to renumber it...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

OH 420 is very short, and both junctions are freeway-grade interchanges now, so I don't think there are any independent-mount shields anymore.

I've been told OH 69 was once significantly longer, but much of it became OH 235 to abate a theft problem.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on January 02, 2014, 11:04:20 PM
OH 420 is very short, and both junctions are freeway-grade interchanges now, so I don't think there are any independent-mount shields anymore.
The Goog shows at least four independent shields at the SR 163 intersection as of September 2011. I also see reassurance at the north end.

Interestingly, ODOT did renumber SR 714 due to Quaaludes, the baby ducksheep drug. Or so says Wikipedia, and there's probably no other logical reason for the renumbering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_714
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2014, 11:11:04 PM
The Goog shows at least four independent shields at the SR 163 intersection as of September 2011. I also see reassurance at the north end.

The Goog is often wrong. But probably not about this. I probably have not spoken with such certainty about a road I've only driven past once in the last decade.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

OracleUsr

I-77 North, Elkin:

LEFT
EXIT 83

US 21 BYPASS

THIS IS
SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on January 02, 2014, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2014, 11:11:04 PM

The Goog is often wrong. But probably not about this. I probably have not spoken with such certainty about a road I've only driven past once in the last decade.

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2007_Toledo_road_mtg/2007_Toledo_road_mtg-Pages/Image286.html

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2007_Toledo_road_mtg/2007_Toledo_road_mtg-Pages/Image287.html

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.