News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I find it very useful. However, I think the 120-day message should be changed (but not removed), since it's sometimes beneficial to bump topics.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2022, 09:14:27 PM
I find it very useful. However, I think the 120-day message should be changed (but not removed), since it's sometimes beneficial to bump topics.

I think we can tweak the duration after which it appears, but the message itself is hard-coded into the forum software (such that we'd have to change it to whatever we wanted after every software update, which isn't a great use of our time). In any event, the purpose of the message is to encourage the poster to stop and think about whether it may be a better idea to start a new thread.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

What would you rather have? Annoying reply notices or a message telling you to dial back your settings because they don't meet iOS's privacy requirements?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Toilet paper with incorrect perforation, causing some squares to be hard to separate (often needing me to fold and carefully tear where the perforation should be but isn't or is only barely).  It never used to be a problem, but since COVID it seems like a couple rolls per pack of my Charmin Ultra Soft do this, and given that my ground floor apartment has plumbing issues, "just use more when you encounter the problem" isn't really an option.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jakeroot on April 29, 2022, 02:56:57 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 29, 2022, 01:48:26 PM
I hate when people don't realize a marathon is a fixed distance.  I can't stand it when I tell people I used to run marathons competitively and they ask "how long was your longest one?"  They were all 26.2 miles.

I doubt many non-marathoners realize that it's always the same distance. Races that aren't 26.2 miles are fairly common. Eg, the Rainier to Ruston Relay here in the Seattle region is 50 miles.

True, but the word marathon isn't in their title. 

Now ultra-marathons can be any distance greater then 26.2 miles, but its more of just crappy syntax. 

I guess it bothers me because I knew a marathon was always 26.2 miles long before I started running them.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2022, 05:08:22 PM
Toilet paper with incorrect perforation, causing some squares to be hard to separate (often needing me to fold and carefully tear where the perforation should be but isn't or is only barely).  It never used to be a problem, but since COVID it seems like a couple rolls per pack of my Charmin Ultra Soft do this, and given that my ground floor apartment has plumbing issues, "just use more when you encounter the problem" isn't really an option.

I've noticed this too, even though Charmin isn't my brand.  Maybe put an extra pair of scissors next to the TP?

1995hoo

What I've noticed lately about TP is that often the beginning of the roll is glued so securely that it's very difficult to get the roll started and you wind up tearing up a few squares in the process.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

I moved into my apartment two months ago and bought a small pack of TP and am nowhere close to out.  Living with women before that, that pack wouldn't have lasted a week.  Why do women use so much TP????

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on May 02, 2022, 09:12:42 AM
I moved into my apartment two months ago and bought a small pack of TP and am nowhere close to out.  Living with women before that, that pack wouldn't have lasted a week.  Why do women use so much TP????

They wipe for both 1 and 2.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on April 29, 2022, 08:02:57 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2022, 01:58:15 PM
Back on spiders...

When you're about ready to go to bed, then you see a spider, so you get up to turn the light on or get a Kleenex or whatever, and when you come back in it isn't there.  Great, now I can't sleep.

Doesn't bother me.  We're about a million times the size of a spider, they're a lot more scared of us than we need to be of them.
Very very few species of spider are poisonous*.

* may not be true in Australia.

1.  You mean 'venomous', not 'poisonous'.  [/pedantic]

2.  It doesn't necessarily bother me because of reason or logic, but rather on an emotional level.

3.  The lingering question is 'Did a brown recluse just decide to bunk under my sheets, and now I'm going to surprise it by getting in?'

Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2022, 05:08:22 PM
Toilet paper with incorrect perforation

I've never even worried about making sure to tear along the perforation.  Maybe it's because I grew up with unperforated toilet paper?  I just estimate how much I need, then pull to tear:  the exact line it cuts doesn't matter to me.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 02, 2022, 09:33:02 AM

This should be obvious to anyone who's been in the bathroom while a lady was wiping herself.  But, if someone has not been in that situation, then perhaps it's not such an obvious fact.  After all, men don't wipe after #1, so it's not immediately obvious why a woman would.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 11:13:51 AM

This should be obvious to anyone who's been in the bathroom while a lady was wiping herself.  But, if someone has not been in that situation, then perhaps it's not such an obvious fact.  After all, men don't wipe after #1, so it's not immediately obvious why a woman would.

This is such a weird conversation.  :-D  I thought it was a pretty obvious fact even though I haven't been in that situation, and I sure hope no one is finding out from this thread. I've known that since... I don't know... early grade school, maybe?

ZLoth

It happened this morning when I was trying to link up a payment account... sites that intentionally disable paste for information. I don't know about you, but I use a password manager to manage my passwords,, and my passwords are more along the lines of zU-X\VD>B3!U5ntH instead of JoeBob1997! . Needless to say, a complex password is hard to type, but in most cases, I can just copy/paste the username/password from KeePass into the proper password fields. Some web sites, however, intentionally DISABLE the paste function either by Control-V or right-click → Paste.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2022, 12:45:15 PM
This is such a weird conversation.

Well, then let's get back to annoying food packaging...

*  Zip-top packages that have a notch at the top corner, so you can rip a strip off the top, leaving the zip-strip exposed for you to easily pull open–except that, when you rip the strip off, the zip-strip still isn't exposed.

*  Chips or candy bags that rip down the side when you open the top–such that it's nigh impossible to keep the contents from going stale when you roll the top down later.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 02:30:45 PM
*  Zip-top packages that have a notch at the top corner, so you can rip a strip off the top, leaving the zip-strip exposed for you to easily pull open–except that, when you rip the strip off, the zip-strip still isn't exposed.
Ugh, this just happened to me yesterday, though with car parts as opposed to food.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on May 02, 2022, 02:43:24 PM
Ugh, this just happened to me yesterday, though with car parts as opposed to food.

Hah, beat you all to that frustration first.

Perhaps the inventor of the feature had to be the most frustrated...doubtful it worked on the first try!

Quote from: formulanone on April 02, 2021, 06:44:35 AM
Food packaging which fails to open properly, rendering the bag seal useless.

kurumi

Quote from: ZLoth on May 02, 2022, 02:12:42 PM
It happened this morning when I was trying to link up a payment account... sites that intentionally disable paste for information. I don't know about you, but I use a password manager to manage my passwords,, and my passwords are more along the lines of zU-X\VD>B3!U5ntH instead of JoeBob1997! . Needless to say, a complex password is hard to type, but in most cases, I can just copy/paste the username/password from KeePass into the proper password fields. Some web sites, however, intentionally DISABLE the paste function either by Control-V or right-click → Paste.

For desktop, at least, there is a "Don't fuck with paste" extension for Chrome and Firefox that prevents this. I'm also on team KeePass. I don't know any of my passwords.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

thenetwork

*  Zip-top packages that have a notch at the top corner, so you can rip a strip off the top, leaving the zip-strip exposed for you to easily pull open—except that, when you rip the strip off, the zip-strip still isn't exposed.
'

I'll see your zip lock issue and raise you another.

How about those cheap packages that can't secure their  zip halves to their appropriate sides of the bags...Then the one time you try to pull apart the zip lock seal, the one half of the zip track separates from the package.

So yes, you opened the bag, but the zip lock halves are still together and now you can't close the bag up the way it was just moments ago!!!

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on May 02, 2022, 09:27:24 PM

'

How about those cheap packages that can't secure their  zip halves to their appropriate sides of the bags...Then the one time you try to pull apart the zip lock seal, the one half of the zip track separates from the package.

So yes, you opened the bag, but the zip lock halves are still together and now you can't close the bag up the way it was just moments ago!!!

For me, those two things often happen at the same time.  The pulled-off strip doesn't expose the zip-strip, so I try to open the package by pulling from below it instead, which then ends up with exactly the problem you describe.
Male pronouns, please.

thenetwork

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 09:32:09 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 02, 2022, 09:27:24 PM

'

For me, those two things often happen at the same time.  The pulled-off strip doesn't expose the zip-strip, so I try to open the package by pulling from below it instead, which then ends up with exactly the problem you describe.

^^  THIS!!!

texaskdog

with a LOT of paper

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on May 03, 2022, 09:43:11 AM

with a LOT of paper

Couldn't spare a square?

snowc

Minor thing of the day: Power outages blocking street!

We had a duke truck blocking C Street after getting lunch, probably due to upgrades.  :colorful:

7/8

Google docs apparently doesn't have Canadian English as an option. Whether I choose American or British English, there will still be lots of words shown as "wrong", so I have to keep adding them to my dictionary. :-|

abefroman329

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 03:12:28 PMGoogle docs apparently doesn't have Canadian English as an option.
But Microsoft Word does. 

tchafe1978

Minor major annoyance: webpages with ads that load as you scroll down the page, causing the text to "jump" up and down as you're trying to read it. I do have adblocker, but many sites are now requring you to whitelist them and allow ads on their site.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.