News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on December 16, 2019, 09:52:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2019, 09:49:38 PM

Hell as skeptical as I am about ghosts and alien visitation I would welcome some compelling evidence that both were true.  In the case of vaccinations it's hard to see how a logical person could draw the conclusion with all the available facts that they somehow cause a blanket level harm.  Allergic reactions don't surprised me in the least, I'm allergic to certain compounds which made it difficult for me to be vaccinated.  None the less, I'm glad some viable solutions were found because Polio really sounds like a shitty disease to catch.

Or we can go back to the Middle Ages where you were lucky to live past 40 ;)

True, that's a debate I often have with my brother.  He is convinced that companies are selling us poisoned food because it has preservatives and is genetically modified.  He doesn't like being reminded of how people used to eat one bad piece of food and simply die from it.  There hasn't been anything I can do to convince him that his stance in life isn't correct even though it lowers his quality of life. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2019, 09:54:40 PM

Hell as skeptical as I am about ghosts and alien visitation I would welcome some compelling evidence that both were true.  In the case of vaccinations it's hard to see how a logical person could draw the conclusion with all the available facts that they somehow cause a blanket level harm.  Allergic reactions don't surprised me in the least, I'm allergic to certain compounds which made it difficult for me to be vaccinated.  None the less, I'm glad some viable solutions were found because Polio really sounds like a shitty disease to catch.

True, that's a debate I often have with my brother.  He is convinced that companies are selling us poisoned food because it has preservatives and is genetically modified.  He doesn't like being reminded of how people used to eat one bad piece of food and simply die from it.  There hasn't been anything I can do to convince him that his stance in life isn't correct even though it lowers his quality of life. 

That's sort of grey area to me. Lots of preservatives are probably not good for you and not all genetically modified food is safe (IMO).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 89

Quote from: US71 on December 16, 2019, 09:57:00 PM

Hell as skeptical as I am about ghosts and alien visitation I would welcome some compelling evidence that both were true.  In the case of vaccinations it’s hard to see how a logical person could draw the conclusion with all the available facts that they somehow cause a blanket level harm.  Allergic reactions don’t surprised me in the least, I’m allergic to certain compounds which made it difficult for me to be vaccinated.  None the less, I’m glad some viable solutions were found because Polio really sounds like a shitty disease to catch.

True, that’s a debate I often have with my brother.  He is convinced that companies are selling us poisoned food because it has preservatives and is genetically modified.  He doesn’t like being reminded of how people used to eat one bad piece of food and simply die from it.  There hasn’t been anything I can do to convince him that his stance in life isn’t correct even though it lowers his quality of life. 

That's sort of grey area to me. Lots of preservatives are probably not good for you and not all genetically modified food is safe (IMO).

Just like with vaccines, I'm going to trust the science on this one.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/the-plate/2016/05/17/scientists-say-gmo-foods-are-safe-public-skepticism-remains/

US71

Quote from: US 89 on December 16, 2019, 10:00:24 PM

I'm just going to trust the science on this one.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/the-plate/2016/05/17/scientists-say-gmo-foods-are-safe-public-skepticism-remains/

Going to blind me with science? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Here's an interesting thought I had regarding GMOs.   Has it even been really been proven that eating biological material with cancerous tumors can itself cause cancer?  On the face of it the idea of catching cancer from eating cancerous mass seems counter intuitive due to it being genetic disorder and not a bacterial/viral infection.  If I recall correctly the process of proper cooking should break down pretty much any harmful substance, even if it is a genetic disease.  I want to say that there was some sort of study done which showed that were was some  evidence in some animals to be able to transmit cancer from the salvias of a host with cancer to an otherwise healthy test subject?   Either way cancer in plant life tends to work the opposite it does in animal life and doesn't really spread the same way. 

Chemical compounds are an interesting wildcard when it comes to preservatives.  There probably isn't a real sample out there yet on the potential long term effects of some many preservative compounds. Granted, the preservation of food plays a big role in why people actually live into their 70s or older as opposed to getting dysentery. 

Max Rockatansky

Back on topic, one that gets to me is family and friends asking constantly when I'm going to have kids?  It kind of feels like almost everyone I know has kids thinks it's the greatest thing ever, wants more people like them, or is somehow genetic Manifest Destiny.  I haven't exactly ruled out the possibility but suffice to say at 37 I don't think most people I know have caught on that I think the concept of children is a money pit, timer consumer and otherwise lacking in ROI. 

Rothman

I've yet to meet a GMO food that killed me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

... not yet!  But these "carcinogens"  take years or even decades before they get you!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

Burning rubber and racing the engine of a car. It is so old!  It went out with Bell Bottoms as it was first started back in the 60's for the young and hip to get others to see how cool their Camaros or GTOs were back then, so after 50 years or more you think that people would be weary of that.  Then you have people with cars that are not sporty who often do it as well which is even more of something that is not old, but the wrong type of vehicle to show off in.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Noisy motorcycles, some of which are ear-splittingly loud.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

DaBigE

- People who use the horn as a way to greet people or as a doorbell replacement
- Drivers who honk back when they were in the wrong. Does it somehow make them feel better or legitimize their screw up?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

Quote from: DaBigE on December 17, 2019, 01:52:04 AM
- Drivers who honk back when they were in the wrong. Does it somehow make them feel better or legitimize their screw up?

YEP!  Drivers who honk back when they were -blatantly- in the wrong.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

Quote from: Beltway on December 17, 2019, 06:59:21 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on December 17, 2019, 01:52:04 AM

YEP!  Drivers who honk back when they were -blatantly- in the wrong.

Had this old woman in front of me make a right in the right turn lane, no blinker.  Then we're on the frontage she cuts me off, no blinker, then gets on the freeway, no blinker, then once on I get over and she cuts into the middle lane in front of me, no blinker, dangerously close to me.  I honk so she honks back.  Friggin idiot.

texaskdog

Quote from: Rothman on December 16, 2019, 10:56:58 PM
I've yet to meet a GMO food that killed me.

Funny, watch old TV shows.  Old people look old.  Generally people these days like a lot younger than in the past.  It's good for something I guess.  I'm 50 and get guessed 35 all the time.

texaskdog

Quote from: US 89 on December 16, 2019, 10:00:24 PM

Just like with vaccines, I'm going to trust the science on this one.

Well, I'll trust my friend who almost died.  "Science" also says we're going to die in 10 years, so says Greta anyway.

texaskdog

Quote from: texaskdog on December 16, 2019, 09:31:18 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 16, 2019, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on December 16, 2019, 07:05:09 AM
Why do you think people who get the flu shot always get the flu?

That is straight up false.

Vaccines are safe for most people, besides those who are allergic to one of the components, or those who are immunocompromised. Anything else is fear-mongering or stupidity. Or both.

Go ahead and name call all you want.  That's always a good way to get your point across.  By the way my friend Tina almost died from being vaccinated but I bet you think she is stupid too.

Ergo aren’t you kind of proving the point I was trying to make?  You’re basically dismissing all evidence that contradicts what you believe, but you don’t present any valid evidence of your own to back your points up.  For all you know your friend had an allergic reaction to whatever the vaccine was made of. 

Hell as skeptical as I am about ghosts and alien visitation I would welcome some compelling evidence that both were true.  In the case of vaccinations it’s hard to see how a logical person could draw the conclusion with all the available facts that they somehow cause a blanket level harm.  Allergic reactions don’t surprised me in the least, I’m allergic to certain compounds which made it difficult for me to be vaccinated.  None the less, I’m glad some viable solutions were found because Polio really sounds like a shitty disease to catch.

Well, I have a real life friend who came really close to dying after getting vaccinated.  What more proof would one need?  Do I have to have her call you on the phone?  You wouldn't change your mind anyway.  I could also post several articles but what is the point if you have your mind made up?

hotdogPi

How do you know it was because of the vaccine?

(Can we split this thread so that the main one doesn't get locked?)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on December 17, 2019, 07:36:38 AM

Vaccines are safe for most people, besides those who are allergic to one of the components, or those who are immunocompromised. Anything else is fear-mongering or stupidity. Or both.

Go ahead and name call all you want.  That's always a good way to get your point across.  By the way my friend Tina almost died from being vaccinated but I bet you think she is stupid too.

Ergo aren't you kind of proving the point I was trying to make?  You're basically dismissing all evidence that contradicts what you believe, but you don't present any valid evidence of your own to back your points up.  For all you know your friend had an allergic reaction to whatever the vaccine was made of. 

Well, I have a real life friend who came really close to dying after getting vaccinated.  What more proof would one need?  Do I have to have her call you on the phone?  You wouldn't change your mind anyway.  I could also post several articles but what is the point if you have your mind made up?

It could potentially sway people to your argument if you presented your evidence for how you draw your conclusions on vaccine.  That's the main point I'm trying to make, your making your argument without giving any real evidence to support it.  Again, if someone had compelling evidence to support their claims on something I'd give it a listen.  I (or anyone else) might not think it's compelling but it's better than not giving any reason at all if you're looking away opinions. 

And yes, I'll second that all this talk on vaccine probably can be split into a different topic.  I don't think we've reached the point where this hasn't become civil from anyone's end though. 

texaskdog

No kidding this was a fun thread at one time.

DaBigE

- Baby bump progression photos
- Baby gender reveal parties
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on December 17, 2019, 10:44:11 AM
- Baby bump progression photos
- Baby gender reveal parties

When did people start doing the latter?  I was invited to one not so long ago and it took some explaining since "gender reveal party"  could mean something far more adult oriented. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 17, 2019, 07:50:49 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on December 17, 2019, 07:36:38 AM

Ergo aren't you kind of proving the point I was trying to make?  You're basically dismissing all evidence that contradicts what you believe, but you don't present any valid evidence of your own to back your points up.  For all you know your friend had an allergic reaction to whatever the vaccine was made of. 

It could potentially sway people to your argument if you presented your evidence for how you draw your conclusions on vaccine.  That's the main point I'm trying to make, your making your argument without giving any real evidence to support it.  Again, if someone had compelling evidence to support their claims on something I'd give it a listen.  I (or anyone else) might not think it's compelling but it's better than not giving any reason at all if you're looking away opinions. 

And yes, I'll second that all this talk on vaccine probably can be split into a different topic.  I don't think we've reached the point where this hasn't become civil from anyone's end though.
I somewhat disagree.

He had one friend who had an allergic reaction and now thinks vaccines are dangerous despite the millions that take them and don't have such a reaction and are protected (as is his friend, who was treated).

I also find Internet debates where individual articles are thrown back and forth not compelling at all any longer.  One study does not the start of the art make.  Heck, five studies don't either.

This is why I've just started to rely upon the experts (real coalitions of experts, like the CDC) and their conclusions as they have a much broader perspective on the research.  I find attacks on the experts to be quite unpersuasive as they inevitably devolve into conspiracy theories that are quite ridiculous (hundreds of doctors know the truth about the harm but are paid off and none of them blow the whistle kind of nonsense).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

renegade

My dad used to say, "Get your vaccinations or I'll push you off the edge of the Earth!"

:bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadman

Quote from: Beltway on December 17, 2019, 12:35:44 AM
Noisy motorcycles, some of which are ear-splittingly loud.
Any motorcycle that, when idling (like at a red light), sounds like it's going to quit from fuel or air starvation any minute.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.