News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: DaBigE on January 04, 2020, 08:51:36 PM
Email list unsubscribe buttons that take you to an unrelated webpage, with no way to contact anyone else (not even to tell them their link is broken).

They probably don't care about the broken link, but are more interested that by clicking the button you just confirmed yours is a valid and active e-mail address that can be sold to other companies.  I never unsubscribe from e-mail lists; I just add the senders to my spam filter.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2020, 06:33:48 PM
Here's something that bothers me. You can sign up for things online, change service plans online, but you have to call to cancel the service. You can't do that online.

Or when you have had no luck with phone calls to get something done and you write a letter, and they respond that you need to call them.

In each case I swear it's that they don't want to get stuff in writing and be held to it. When I got "laid off" (actually fired) from a job and I was working out some stuff with them (they gave me severance, etc). I told them I would only go via e-mail, and they refused because I suspect they were going to pull something where they'd try to lie their way out of it. Since recording in my two-party state would not be legal (or at least allowed to be admitted in a legal situation as evidence), I stood firm on it and they relented. They pulled this stunt a year earlier on someone who was legitimately laid off (not fired) by backtracking on something they said.

1995hoo

I needed to send in a form to a government agency. They'll accept the form by fax, but they won't accept a scanned version because that's not an original signature. That makes no sense at all. The faxed copy isn't an original signature either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

When you complain to a company about something you want corrected and rather than correct it they send you a coupon for something free worth a few bucks.  Great, but I wanted it fixed.

crt08

I emailed a company to ask a question about something they sell, and they didn't respond. But I started getting their weekly newsletter emailed to me instead.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 04, 2020, 10:36:47 PM
Gas pumps where I just want gas:

Insert card
Punch in your zip code (okay I know I need to do that)
Do you want additive?
Do you want to join our 5 cent off club?
Do you want a receipt?
Do you want a car wash?

Then I have to watch your video while I pump
Even inside - they're doing their job, but poorly. 

"Any gas out there?" (not hard to say "Any fuel to purchase on which pump?" (or similar more detailed questions).

"See you next time".
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

texaskdog

My former boss (nice guy) would always say "what else for you?"   If I wanted something else I would have brought it to the counter with me.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 05, 2020, 03:38:06 PM
My former boss (nice guy) would always say "what else for you?"   If I wanted something else I would have brought it to the counter with me.
They could be trying to sell things that are behind the counter
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

texaskdog

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 05, 2020, 04:49:59 PM
They could be trying to sell things that are behind the counter

True dat.  Upselling in general annoys me.

formulanone

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 05, 2020, 10:16:50 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 04, 2020, 08:51:36 PM
Email list unsubscribe buttons that take you to an unrelated webpage, with no way to contact anyone else (not even to tell them their link is broken).

They probably don't care about the broken link, but are more interested that by clicking the button you just confirmed yours is a valid and active e-mail address that can be sold to other companies.  I never unsubscribe from e-mail lists; I just add the senders to my spam filter.

You know, I also held to this theory for years, but I think it actually works with the more reputable brick-and-mortar companies. I have one email address for all my travel stuff and for most items/services I purchase; unsubscribing cut away almost all the undesired recipients and seemed to cut down roughly half my spam (although, it could be that more junk gets destroyed or sent-to-spam immediately). But I found it worked well for small businesses and restaurants who just wanted to let me know they're still open every month or two; especially those which I don't patronize due to distance or no longer interested in using once more.

Your mileage will vary on this matter. If the company has some sort of website login, they likely offer a way to unsubscribe or cut down most "promotions"; due to privacy laws and a desire to keep your business, they tend to obey this to a degree.

Every so often they manage to reset the checkbox for: □ Bother Me Every Other Day!

jeffandnicole

Long been a great marketing strategy.  Honestly, probably a holdover from when cigs and tobacco were huge upsells.  But even with the "Can I get you anything else", it gives the customer an additional moment to say "Oh, I'll grab one of these" from on or under the counter.

They're usually high profit margin items, so sell a few here and there and those dollars add up for the retailer.

texaskdog

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2020, 10:13:08 AM

Long been a great marketing strategy.  Honestly, probably a holdover from when cigs and tobacco were huge upsells.  But even with the "Can I get you anything else", it gives the customer an additional moment to say "Oh, I'll grab one of these" from on or under the counter.

They're usually high profit margin items, so sell a few here and there and those dollars add up for the retailer.

God I hate those candy bars by the register, I'm a sucker for that

KEVIN_224

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 12:52:55 AM
Okay here's one, those annoying people who work for Spectrum who bother you in Walmart.  I pretty much tell them to f*ck off now.

We call them the Comcast Vultures at Walmart in Newington, CT. It's even more odd that Newington is served by Cox Communications. The closest areas with Comcast service is Berlin (just south on the Berlin Turnpike) and New Britain (immediately west). We had a guy pitching AT&T DSL internet service in my waning days there in 2010.

As for what bothers me today? Somebody still wished a Happy New Year to a customer at a local McDonald's. It is January SIXTH. Name one other holiday where you wish them well several days after the holiday. I'll wait.

kphoger

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 06, 2020, 01:18:00 PM
Name one other holiday where you wish them well several days after the holiday. I'll wait.

Arbor day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 12:52:55 AM
Okay here's one, those annoying people who work for Spectrum who bother you in Walmart.  I pretty much tell them to f*ck off now.

We call them the Comcast Vultures at Walmart in Newington, CT. It's even more odd that Newington is served by Cox Communications. The closest areas with Comcast service is Berlin (just south on the Berlin Turnpike) and New Britain (immediately west). We had a guy pitching AT&T DSL internet service in my waning days there in 2010.

As for what bothers me today? Somebody still wished a Happy New Year to a customer at a local McDonald's. It is January SIXTH. Name one other holiday where you wish them well several days after the holiday. I'll wait.

F*ck that's awesome, they're keeping it going.  How often does a McD's employee have that enthusiasm?

DaBigE

Name one other holiday where you wish them well several days after the holiday. I'll wait.

Christmas...technically lasts until Epiphany
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on January 06, 2020, 01:52:22 PM

Because Christmastide lasts until Epiphany, I don't consider it "late" to wish someone a Merry Christmas on, say, January 2.  And, while it is still a new year on January 6, there does have to be a point at which it stops being appropriate.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2020, 10:13:08 AM

Or, it could be a variant on the "did you find everything you were looking for?" question. You may not have seen something you wanted to buy, and didn't ask someone or didn't see someone to ask if they had it in stock or even carried it, so if you're checking out and you get asked,"anything else for you?" and you say, "Well, I was looking for a such-and-such but didn't see one on the shelf," the checker can either tell you if they have it or not, or help you find it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

texaskdog

I hate to ask because then they take time to go look for it

formulanone

Quote from: texaskdog on January 06, 2020, 10:25:40 AM
the term "brick and mortar"

You have a too many minor things that bother you. Consider dropping twenty of them.

And because we have too many people that take everything literally around here, wear steel-toed shoes before dropping any actual bricks or mortars.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 02:03:24 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 06, 2020, 01:52:22 PM

Because Christmastide lasts until Epiphany, I don't consider it "late" to wish someone a Merry Christmas on, say, January 2.  And, while it is still a new year on January 6, there does have to be a point at which it stops being appropriate.

Then again, I think the Russian Orthodox version of Christmas is Tuesday the 7th. Nobody I know here in Connecticut celebrates it though.

I once said "Happy MLK Day" to somebody on January 2nd. They looked at me funny and just moved on. I said it only implying that it was the next observance of any day or function for many (January 20th this year).

texaskdog

Quote from: formulanone on January 06, 2020, 02:27:37 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 06, 2020, 10:25:40 AM
the term "brick and mortar"

You have a too many minor things that bother you. Consider dropping twenty of them.

And because we have too many people that take everything literally around here, wear steel-toed shoes before dropping any actual bricks or mortars.

I've got 5 years on you, it gets worse

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 03:27:56 PM
Potholes

Come to Michigan.  Then potholes won't be a minor annoyance to you any more.  They'll become a major annoyance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.