News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Reddit thread: animation of US highway system in numerical order

Started by kurumi, January 30, 2019, 02:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

US 1 through US 730, added to the map in order.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/al5hup/the_us_numbered_highway_system_in_numerical_order/

Some interesting newbie reactions, some comments by knowledgeable people, a wrong fact or two ("You've left out the most important difference: the federal highway system is funded by the department of transportation while the interstate system is run by the department of defense.")

... and things like
It blew my mind when I found out that horizontal is even numbers and vertical are odd numbers
Except US 52. We going diagonal bitches
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Buck87

That's pretty cool.

So of course I immediately wondered if there was one for the interstate system, and found in the comments that there was:

Rothman

Quote from: Buck87 on January 30, 2019, 01:13:42 PM
That's pretty cool.

So of course I immediately wondered if there was one for the interstate system, and found in the comments that there was:

They missed I-41, I think. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ben114

That's pretty cool.

I-11 and I-14 were missed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Ben114 on January 30, 2019, 04:21:25 PM
That's pretty cool.

As was NC's I-87. They also included Fayetteville's I-295 which was unapproved if it ever was approved at all. (It was only signed with "Future" banners.) I haven't let it play long enough to see if it has newer 3di's either.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

doorknob60

That's pretty cool.

The interstate gif was posted on April 7, 2015, before I-11 and I-14 existed. And coincidentally (like, how the heck was it timed like that, without being intentional?), the exact same day I-41 was established, according to Wikipedia.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Then that probably accounts for the lack of any I-69 extension south of Indianapolis; IIRC the WKY parkway section was commissioned later that year.  Wonder if there are any plans for updates (including I-269, so I-22 doesn't get "left hanging" at its western end).

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on January 31, 2019, 12:28:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Then that probably accounts for the lack of any I-69 extension south of Indianapolis; IIRC the WKY parkway section was commissioned later that year.  Wonder if there are any plans for updates (including I-269, so I-22 doesn't get "left hanging" at its western end).

Actually, what is now 69 along the former 164 near Evansville shows up, and 164 is omitted from the map.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Nice catch!  I do notice that I-99 is shown as fully designated between I-80 and I-86, although AFAIK only the NY State section has received formal recognition to date; this is likely an error on the part of the originator of this animated data. 

Bickendan

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Thing 342

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

paulthemapguy

Good!

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 30, 2019, 04:36:27 PM
As was NC's I-87.

SUPER good!  Keep that unrealized filth out of my system until it's time.

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2019, 04:20:00 PM
They missed I-41, I think. :D

I'm also a fan of this!  This map does a great job of showing that 39, 41, and 43 have numbers that are too small.

My normie (non-roadfan) friend showed me the US highway GIF because he knew I would like it.  We are reaching the masses!!  :-P
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Bickendan

Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on January 31, 2019, 08:21:59 PM
905's missing
Isn't that just a CA state route?
Hmm, I was under the impression that the segment between I-5 and 805 was an interstate, but that appears to be mistaken.
Critique withdrawn.

usends

Back to the original gif, the one showing all of the US routes: it is interesting, although I think it's a little confusing to show north-south routes along with east-west routes, because they quickly get all tangled up and it becomes hard to see the pattern.  So that inspired me to create a couple gifs of my own, one showing just the N-S two-digit routes, and the other showing just the E-W routes.
https://www.usends.com/numbering.html
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Buck87

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.